Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hernia advice

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    After some months of tummy pains, I had a gastroscopy and was diagnosed with:
    * Helicobacter Pylori
    * Inflamed stomach
    * Hernia hiatus

W.r.t. to the Hernia Hiatus I would like to hear from any other Hernia Hiatus sufferers in terms of any tips with regard to how you dealt with it.

- What diet changes did you make?
    - What sport / exercise / fitness changes did you make?
    - Did you cut out drink completly?
    - Did it eventually go away?

I am not overweight. I don't smoke.

For anyone who had the op, how bad to the pain get before you decided to get the op?

How long where you waiting to get the op?

I am on nexium 40 mg - 1 a day.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sum Sea

sorry forgot to say eat little and often this really helps .Stay away from fizzy drinks and hot currys.Dont lift anything heavy .If your really bad with acid sip 1 or 2brandys with ice really slowly really works in an emergency but stay away from two much drink especially beer.And no hernias dont go away.Think twice before surgery generally the results are not long lasting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Sum Sea wrote: »
    If not it will in the long term cause stomack cancer.

it may cause stomach cancer in teh long term, but it's inaccurate to say it will definitely cause it.

you do know that the meds he is on are prescription only and therefore dosage alterations should only be made by a doctor and not a random person off teh internet?? thats really irresponsible advice you've given.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sea Sum- we are *not* allowed offer medical advice on this forum.
    I have left your second post- as it is relevant to the OP.
    If you have any doubts as to whether its ok to post something in here- run it by the moderators first.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

smccarrick, i edited my post to remove the dodgy quote from sumsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

Hi Tim
    I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and IBS during the summer.These are a few things that I do to keep myself ticking over!
    >With the diet avoid anything processed that has lots of salt in it like packet soups or pre-prepared meals, spicy things can be bad too but if you really love them a small amount of anything can be tolerated(in my case anyway). Plain diet is best really.

>With exercise running gives my very bad acid reflux so I avoid that but most other things are fine, I get a pain in my chest sometimes after lifting weights but I still do it.

>Not eating for about 2 hours before exercise and before bed are good.

>Small meals often, don't let yourself get hungry and don't eat a big meal in one sitting.

>I can only drink 3 alcoholic drinks in one sitting, and I have to stick to that.

>As far as I know you're hernia won't go away?

Im not on any meds at the minute or having any treatment and I'm doing fine just managing it myself. Through trial and error you'll find out what suits you best.

Let me know how you get on and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Sum Sea

apologies .As a hernia sufferer i was giving suggestions not advice .However i did assume he or she would bring these suggestions to a doctor.Sorry if i offended anyone i was only trying to be helpfull

Advertisement