Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Officeman to Ironman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

dario28 wrote: »
    low reps build mass ie 6-8
    around 10 is generally toning
    if you want strength hit the 12's

If you are doing good hill work I dont think you need to worry about legs that much

Thanks for the advice. I tried the fitness forum and I was asked why was I doing 13 reps of everything.

Concerns about mass aside, are low reps/high weight not the best way for increasing strength?

And my last question, can you really increase mass on a calorie deifict? I know I haven't mentioned that previously, but there is no way I'm eating more than I'm buring at moment. Last weekend might have been a little different.:)

Edited to add: I'm not really pushing big weights at the moment, and have no intention of chasing a monster bench press. Would concerns about mass not become more relevant at heavier weights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Carb wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I tried the fitness forum and I was asked why was I doing 13 reps of everything.

Concerns about mass aside, are low reps/high weight not the best way for increasing strength?

And my last question, can you really increase mass on a calorie deifict? I know I haven't mentioned that previously, but there is no way I'm eating more than I'm buring at moment. Last weekend might have been a little different.

Edited to add: I'm not really pushing big weights at the moment, and have no intention of chasing a monster bench press. Would concerns about mass not become more relevant at heavier weights

- idea of low reps high weight is to tear and build in a big way , you'll see the monsters in the gym benching 150kgs but would do 6 reps at most on a strength day they would drop to 100kgs and push out 12's at 4 sets

- No but if you dont feed your muscles propely you are gonna be sorer for longer and more prone to injury - so before/after gym ya need protein to repair and grow

Ya need to struggle at your last rep in each set or you are wasting your time

Whats your diet like ?

- idea of low reps high weight is to tear and build in a big way , you'll see the monsters in the gym benching 150kgs but would do 6 reps at most on a strength day they would drop to 100kgs and push out 12's at 4 sets

- No but if you dont feed your muscles propely you are gonna be sorer for longer and more prone to injury - so before/after gym ya need protein to repair and grow

You obviously know much more about this than me, so 12s it'll be from now on.

Whats your diet like ?

I've been dreading somebody asking that, as I've seen people on the relevant forums who think their diet is good, been ripped to shreds very quickly.:) I'll sit on the fence and say it is just ok.

4.45am - Orange Juice and banana
    8.15am - Large bowl of 2/3 porridge oats, 1/3 Museli with Supermilk
    10.30am - Fruit/yoghurt
    12.15pm - Dinner - What ever works gives up ie meat, two veg, lasagne & salad etc.
    3.00pm - Fruit/yoghurt
    8.30/9.00pm - Generallly either tinned tuna/salmon/sardines or eggs with toast/bread, cup of coffee, maybe a biscuit.

Probably lacking some greens and the afternoon is stretched out. Haven't suffered for it yet but as the mileage increases I'll need to address it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Whats your diet like ?

- Triathlon coaches generally recommend 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps

- I find from looking around gyms and listening to people that must people overestimate the work they do in the weights room and ingest too many calories and protein.

You obviously know much more about this than me, so 12s it'll be from now on.

I've been dreading somebody asking that, as I've seen people on the relevant forums who think their diet is good, been ripped to shreds very quickly.:) I'll sit on the fence and say it is just ok.

4.45am - Orange Juice and banana
    8.15am - Large bowl of 2/3 porridge oats, 1/3 Museli with Supermilk
    10.30am - Fruit/yoghurt
    12.15pm - Dinner - What ever works gives up ie meat, two veg, lasagne & salad etc.
    3.00pm - Fruit/yoghurt
    8.30/9.00pm - Generallly either tinned tuna/salmon/sardines or eggs with toast/bread, cup of coffee, maybe a biscuit.

Probably lacking some greens and the afternoon is stretched out. Haven't suffered for it yet but as the mileage increases I'll need to address it.

I know a little about weights - but am open to challenges etc....I gurantee ya once your body starts changing you' will be more hooked on weights than ya want to be !

But my aim is similiar to yours to do Iron man by 2011 at the latest but not loose any weight which is fooking harder than it sounds - i only started swimming , done 5 sessions so far so were in same boat , only bought a bike in July , but my one adv is have bit of running experience

That diet looks good -but its really just a normal non training persons eating calorie wise for the day - personally I stick to non-processed food's as much as possible and supplement a weights sessions with protein and cardio with carbs of some sort and weekend have a bit of junk

• Advertisement

The turbo is just not happening for me this week. Tuesday night I had to work late, and yesterday evening was just chaotic. Need to get something done on it over the weekend.

Back to the pool this morning. I've nothing really good to say about it so I'll refrain. If you're really curious, you can read my posting on the last day in the pool, as nothing is different except maybe the level of frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Back to the pool this morning. I've nothing really good to say about it so I'll refrain. If you're really curious, you can read my posting on the last day in the pool, as nothing is different except maybe the level of frustration.

Stick with it and try to be patient. As the others have siad, it will click. I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago and believe me it's worth the effort. Good luck with the turbo over the weekend.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Stick with it and try to be patient. As the others have siad, it will click. I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago and believe me it's worth the effort. Good luck with the turbo over the weekend.

Thanks pgibbo. I know I need to develop some patience.

A better weekend this time. Friday night went for my 5 mile run. Done in 41 mins. Lap 1 21mins, lap 2 20mins. Nice to see the times reduce a little unintentionally.

Saturday, I deceided to chance my arm at a 10 mile run. I was very apprehensive heading out on this. I had intended doing it during daylight, but events conspired against me and I didn't get out until 8pm. Secondly, it was unknown territory. My longest run ever was a couple of months ago when I did 8.5 miles and I don't recall it been much fun.

As it turned out , I need'nt have worried. Bar the absence of daylight conditions were perfect. I was able to sustain my slow pace throughout with no urge to walk. The last two miles were a bit of a plod, but uneventful. Felt good afterwards. So 10 miles in 1hr 37mins. All those with sub 60min 10milers need not fear:D. For the length I've been running, and the purpose of the run, I'm happy.

Sunday - The success of Saturday night's run was always going to be best measured based on how I was the next day. Thankfully I woke up injury free and apart from a little fatigue in my legs, there were no issues. I got 1 hr done on the turbo, mostly going easy, a little strength and cadence work at the end which was more for the purpose of find my way around the functions of the turbo.

Nice to get a solid weekend done as I can't see next weekend's been as productive. I've a 21st birthday party to go to next Friday night, so Fridays run is going to be out the window, and no doubt Saturdays.

Back to the dreaded pool this morning:). Only stayed in the water about 20mins. Athough I promised myself to suppress my frustrations at my continuing inability to swim a length, I could not hide my frustrations of two medium paced swimmers coming into the slow lane despite the availability of another empty slow lane. It was too much hassle to time my half lengths between the other two. My work felt pretty much done anyway as I was spending my time up to this concentrating on breathing and stroke. Went quite well actually.

Had intended to get a 6.5 mile run done last night but we ended up having to get our 4 year old dog put down due to kidney failure. Really wasn't in the mood to do anything after that.

Based on my rough plan I should be back on the bike tonight but given that I'm going to miss Friday's run, I may do one tonight instead. I'll let the weather decide.:). I have my swimming lesson today which is suppose to see us venturing into the deep, so I'll post and update should I make it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey carb, just wanted to say I enjoy your log as the IM is something I'd love to do sometime in the future. Best of luck with it and really, really sorry to hear about you dog.

Well happy days (relatively speaking). for the first time in my life I managed a full length. It was actually all very relaxed and controlled. I guess having the instructor walking along the side with his rescue pole is a confidence booster. Only made it half way back due to fatigue, but in fairness this was at the end of a 45min lesson of continuous drills including kicks only on your side and using you're fists. A monkey off my back all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done Carb. A full length is a milestone, next 2 lengths and before you know it you will be targetting 200m etc... keep at it, it will come I guarantee.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Never easy.

MCOS wrote: »
    Well done Carb. A full length is a milestone, next 2 lengths and before you know it you will be targetting 200m etc... keep at it, it will come I guarantee.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Never easy.

Cheers MCOS. It is a confidence booster and I got absolutely no criticisms today so I must be doing what's wanted. Regarding dogs, no matter how many times it happens, you never get use to it.

On a separate issue, I just had a conversation with my boss. Work is just about to get very interesting from the amount of hours required point of view. I think I'm good at managing my time, but the volume of stuff that's coming my way is going to present a real challenge in terms of training. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Beginning to feel like I'm making excuses. Although conditions were perfect for a run last night, given it was my wife's birthday, and the general upset in the house, I thought it better to give last night a miss. Ate chinese instead. It always seems to be a case of polar opposites. The less I train, the more rubbish I eat. Things aren't looking great for this evening either. True to form, the boiler has decided to start giving trouble to coincide with the first proper frost. I might have to look into it.

Back to the pool this morning. Couldn't spend too long there as I've a couple of deadlines to hit today. Covered about 350m done in the 25 mins I was in the water. Its enough to strike fear into the hearts of existing sprint triathlon winners throughout the country:D. Definite improvements though. Less time spent standing between bursts and my breathing is a lot less rushed (less water swallowed). My problem is probably more to do with breathing out at this point, as the constant holding my breath is tiring me out. I need to work on it. I think I'd probably do better if I breathed on every second stroke, but since I'm making improvements breathing on the third, I'm inclined to keep working on it.

Ok, I better go do some work.:)

Beginning to feel like I'm making excuses. Although conditions were perfect for a run last night, given it was my wife's birthday, and the general upset in the house, I thought it better to give last night a miss. Ate chinese instead. It always seems to be a case of polar opposites. The less I train, the more rubbish I eat. Things aren't looking great for this evening either. True to form, the boiler has decided to start giving trouble to coincide with the first proper frost. I might have to look into it.

Back to the pool this morning. Couldn't spend too long there as I've a couple of deadlines to hit today. Covered about 350m done in the 25 mins I was in the water. Its enough to strike fear into the hearts of existing sprint triathlon winners throughout the country:D. Definite improvements though. Less time spent standing between bursts and my breathing is a lot less rushed (less water swallowed). My problem is probably more to do with breathing out at this point, as the constant holding my breath is tiring me out. I need to work on it. I think I'd probably do better if I breathed on every second stroke, but since I'm making improvements breathing on the third, I'm inclined to keep working on it.

Good work on swimming - I swallowed half the pool last night as well , first quadrant swimming is not as easy as it looks !!

I think ya need to chill out though - in fairness you are doing this for fun so enjoy your chinese and nights like that, its one night , just re-adjust your training , your head will be totally melted if the training takes over your life...its a hobby not a job !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Carb, triathlon is a hobby. its meant to be fun. Relax enough the training, enjoy family life, take a step back, see how far you have come, look at where you are going and enjoy the journey.

Don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over it guys and yesterday evening was entirely my descision. I thinks it more the week in question. There is every possibility that tonight will be the third night without anything, and I know Friday evening and most likely Saturday will be the same. However deep down, I know it's a bit like the week on holidays when I done nothing and then came back faster. My body will thank me in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Hay, Im enjoying the updates. Im training pretty hard my-self for triathlons in the summer of 2010 and find time management is the biggest issue. Have you considered/is it possible for you 2 cycle too and from work/gym 1 or 2 days a week? Might mean you could cut out a turbo session?

Best of luck, keep up the good work.

airscotty wrote: »
    Hay, Im enjoying the updates. Im training pretty hard my-self for triathlons in the summer of 2010 and find time management is the biggest issue. Have you considered/is it possible for you 2 cycle too and from work/gym 1 or 2 days a week? Might mean you could cut out a turbo session?

Best of luck, keep up the good work.

I commute from Monaghan to the city centre every day. At the moment I have an annual rail ticket that expires at the end of March 2010. At this point I'm considering driving to a certain point and cycling the rest of the way then. Given my current bike fitness, to do it now would impact a lot on my ability to develop some standard of swimming, and probably the amount of running I can do. I'm committed to the Connemarathon now, so this is going to be a strong focus until then. The timing is also right, as it will allow me to ease back on the running at the same time as I'm considering using the bike more. Well, that's the plan anyway.:) How's your own training going?

As expected last night didn't happen. And I also learned that my wife needs to go somewhere this evening, so there won't be anything done this evening. I'm at work now also instead of the gym. Priorities I guess. I think I'll just mark this week a recovery week, albeit not as much of an active recovery as I'd like. I'll still get 4 pool sessions in though, which I have to say, feel like it is really strengthing my legs (around my knees and such). I'll get back on the wagon next week, although with work at the moment, there is a possibility I might get sent to London for a week. Hasn't been said yet, but it can't be ruled out.

• Advertisement

Well back to the pool this morning. 450m in about 27/28 mins. We were told that we will be doing a length or two at the end of each lesson from now on, so I think from after the next lesson, I'm going to have to push myself to start doing full lengths. It's getting too easy and too much of a habit stopping at midway. I know I can do one at the time, it's just a matter of leaving my comfort zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I started swimming last year and managed to build it up over time too. My biggest inital problem was the breathing and I ended up breathing every second stroke which isn't as good as the alternative stroke technique but I needed to do it as I was gasping too much. When I started I was inclined to hold my breath too much and then couldn't get enough of a fresh breath when I needed it. I found if I concentrated just on relaxing and breathing out evenly as soon as my head went back in the water then I'd be ok to pull in a full breath again by the second stoke. You probably know this already. Once I could breath I found it easier to then concentrate on the other aspects of technique! The other issue was shoulder ache from using muscles I didn't normally use but they developed with practice. I still breath on the second stroke but at least I managed to clock up the distance and I intend working on alt breathing this winter.

RedB wrote: »
    I started swimming last year and managed to build it up over time too. My biggest inital problem was the breathing and I ended up breathing every second stroke which isn't as good as the alternative stroke technique but I needed to do it as I was gasping too much. When I started I was inclined to hold my breath too much and then couldn't get enough of a fresh breath when I needed it. I found if I concentrated just on relaxing and breathing out evenly as soon as my head went back in the water then I'd be ok to pull in a full breath again by the second stoke. You probably know this already. Once I could breath I found it easier to then concentrate on the other aspects of technique! The other issue was shoulder ache from using muscles I didn't normally use but they developed with practice. I still breath on the second stroke but at least I managed to clock up the distance and I intend working on alt breathing this winter.

That's me in a nutshell. I think the biggest part on breathing is trying to relax. At the moment everything is too tense and rigid. It's getting there though. As I said earlier, I think it would be easier for me to breath on the second stroke, but I want to develop the best habit from the start. Also managed to tweak something in my neck this morning. Makes watching for colleagues coming up behind me while I'm on the internet very difficult.:)

These logs don't have drop a few pages when not updated for a couple of days.

Well, as expected, the weekend was a complete writeoff. Not so much due to over indulgence on Friday night, I just had too much to get done about the house, roof to be put on the boiler house, dog pen fixed up as the St. Bernard keeps breaking through the wire since the other dog died, and fitted a new circulating pump to the boiler. Still so heating though, so the house is like an ice box.

So started off this morning with the best of intentions as I really want to step things up a gear, especially running. Unfortunately I discovered what Irish Rail reman my normal service resuming. The bus use to have me at Connolly at 6.45, and the train is scheduled for 5/10 mins after that, and should be in Pearce at 6.59. Instead it crawled into Connolly at nearly 7.20. Nice way for the first service on the commuter line to resume:rolleyes:. It wasn't even going any further than Connolly due to "unforseen circumstances". So basically, I didn't have enough time to go for a swim. Hopefully I'll get a good run done this evening.

It's getting into a habit now and I need to break it:mad:. Didn't get out again last night as we still had heating trouble. Spent most of the evening running from the boiler house to the circulating pumps inside draining air. The upside is that at least now the heating is going again and the house is toasty warm.

Fifth swimming lesson today. Nothing major to report. Backstroke is improving, breaststroke is hilarious and I just need to be careful with my legs on the front crawl. Feel much better now. I've had a chill for the past couple of days that I couldn't shift. The pool seems to have sorted it out. Tonight should be a turbo session, but since the forecast for the next two days looks horrendous, I'll do a run tonight .......................probably.:rolleyes:

Finally got back on the road last night, although it wouldn't have taken much to stop me. It really does take a lot of motivation to get past the front door at this time of year. Did 5 miles in 43 mins 26 secs, which could be best described as very cold, very wet and very nasty. This is my usual 2.5 mile loop, and while I had the willpower to go past my house once, I couldn't do it twice.

Back to the pool this morning. 600m in 35 mins although I chickend out of the full lengths mainly due to breaststroke traffic. Confidence is growing and breathing is improving so full lengths are imminent. Felt like a worthwhile session. Might practice the drills from the lessons tomorrow morning.

Not sure about tonight. I haven't decided whether the soccer is worth watching, although I know I'll probably give in. Forever the optimist:rolleyes:.

Sick now :rolleyes: , and not just because of the match. Aches, pains, shivers and a chesty cough. I suppose it's better now than in a couple of weeks when my marathon schedule is suppose to kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Typical - as soon as you have the heating sorted :). Stay out of the pool and plenty of hot drinks, Vit C and the odd paracetamol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Carb,

That is some great enthusiasm for the dark days of November (and is giving me some needed motivation!), but remember that Kenmare is a long way off, so there is a potential danger of burn-out (mentral rather than physical) before you get to the actual start of your training block in the new year.

Great going on the swimming!

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    Hey Carb,

That is some great enthusiasm for the dark days of November (and is giving me some needed motivation!), but remember that Kenmare is a long way off, so there is a potential danger of burn-out (mentral rather than physical) before you get to the actual start of your training block in the new year.

Great going on the swimming!

Cheers Izoard. If things keep going like this weather wise I'll have to stay indoors. My 8 mile route is already flooded.

Regarding motivation/enthusiasm/burnout, I think the fact that I've registered for Connemara has given that added lift, and when I actually get on to the training schedule, I'll be able to schedule some races to coincide. I've never actually ran a race.:D. I'd be the first to admit if my focus was a traithlon next June, I'd really struggle to get past the front door these evenings.

The swimming is easier as it's part of the routine. Up at 4.30am, on the train at 5.40 and in the pool at 7 or shortly after. Even when I'm not going swimming, like at the moment, I just go to work early to keep getting up at the same time. It sort of means, my choice in the morning is swimming or work, which is a lot easier than the evenings when its television in front of the fire or a run.

I'm still sick so nothing happening these days. Lower back and neck is still very sore. Chest caught up. This is the third day now and improvements have been marginal. I suspect it could be another quiet weekend.

Advertisement