Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Officeman to Ironman

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

DustyBin wrote: »
    Hey Carb
    I'd something similar yesterday, went out for a 5k run with MRs DB, planned to follow up with a flat out 5k on my own after - but didn't happen. Coming to the end of the first 5k I started to feel a bit bit out of it, and just finished up with the easy 5k. Same problem - no fuel. Went for a run at the time I would normally get my dinner and it had been too long since lunch - I suppose I just have to learn from it.
    Although I'd regular enough do 9 or 10k before breakfast, I guess it's a different animal after a full day at work?
    Another run planned tonight with Mrs DB, bringing dinner forward by an hour instead.

It was a strange one though. Yesterday wasn't massively abnormal, although I had some brown bread and jam about 1.5 hrs before the run which I wouldn't normally do. My run was at the usual time. It's proably a mixture of it been my 5th session in 3 days, and not been 100% at moment. Don't feel sick but I have a little irritability at the back of my throat and nose. I made the comment yesterday that I had hunger pains in the morning, and in general, I felt hungry all day. Even after stuffing my face before going to bed, I was still a pound lighter this morning than yesterday.:confused:

I'd imagine going for a run when your body is expecting dinner would cause it some confusion, espceially if the tank was running low. At least in the morning, you have had a night's recovery. I can't say I've ever really struggled in the morning except for tiredness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Carb wrote: »
    Thanks alfalad. I do my splashing in Trinity. I go first thing in the morning at about 7, so it's generally quiet enough. Generally I'm getting 3 morning sessions and one lesson at lunch time. I will be going 4 times a week once the lessons end. I don't really go past 45 mins as I need to get to work but it won't be an issue until I'm capable of longer sessions.

Cool walk by trinity every day and didn't know there was a pool there!

Thanks and again keep up the good work!!

Some major sh*t hit the fan yesterday at work and I'm going to have to watch my back. Could have implications in relation to doing the marathon. I'll see how it goes. Left home yesterday morning at 5am, got home at 10.40pm, 13hrs at my desk, and back in this morning at 7. Obviously no training and I'm not sure how things will pan out.

Sick again anyway. Having nothing to eat since 12.15 yesterday at lunch isn't going to help. Hopefully I can shake it off over the weekend. Off to grab my breakfast now.

First off, I've a nasty chest infection at the moment, so I guess whatever I had a couple of weeks ago wasn't really gone, but just taking a break.

As my last post indicated, there is a lot of sh*t going on at work at the moment. In a nutshell, I'm been set up as the sacrificial lamb on our most high profile deal, and it's up to me to make sure no sacrifice is needed, which is exactly my employers way of trying to guarantee the work gets done. There are a few other things going on in the background. It's been fairly stressful. Colleagues are at me to go to HR over bullying but I don't know if I have the stomach for the battle and my wife is very upset over the whole thing.

Either way, we had a long discussion about it over the weekend, and we both agree that over the medium term, my position is no longer tenable where I work. In order for me to maintain control over when I leave, I am going to have to work every hour I can physically do, and then some more over the next couple of months. The job market will be a major issue here.

Obviously this has major implications in relation to this training log. At this point, I would say Connemarathon is not going to happen and I wouldn't like to predict what will happen afterwards. Strangely, I'm probably more dissappointed for all those that have offered support and advice up to this point, but the reality is that it has become a case of trying to continue providing for my family. I probably won't get to finish my swimming lessons, but I will contine with swimming where fit, as I don't want to go backwards with this and anyway, it's before work. Running and cycling who knows.

Once again, thank to all those who have supported me so far. Some have really gone out of their way, you know who you are. I'll maintain the log with whatever snippets I have in the short term, but there is certainly going to be a lot less activity. Best of luck to all those with their own goals in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sorry to hear about this Carb, I was enjoying your log. Hope things work out for you workwise, but you are right family is the priority now.....I am sure the Ironman will come in time and it will be all the more satisfying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey, take care of you priorities man. IIRC are only 29 so you are even young to be doing an IM... loads of time :) If you can, tip away with your swimming as you have made some progress there. Short sessions with only technique in mind and this will hold you steady as you gain more time to build fitness in the future. Best of luck with the complexities of life and I wish you healthy resolutions and a path leading back to your IM dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

good luck Carb - I was following your log with interest

I hope things look up for you in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey - really sorry to hear about all the crap that's going on with ya at the moment. Just do your best to look after yourself and your family and even though things have to suffer just to care of yourself. Things might be put on hold, but they are not over.

Best of luck with it all and hopefully its not long before things pic up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

That is an awful shame, Carb - your log is class. I'd actually be straight over to HR to make an official complaint, there's no excuse for bullying in this day and age. However, I don't know your circumstances so all I'll say is; "Good luck!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Sorry to hear that. As others have said, sometimes life just gets in the way and we must adjust. You have plenty of time to reach your goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 DaveyByrne

That's a shame Carb. A pal of mine is doing IM France next year, and I want to do it... but I know I won't have the time with work commitments... but some day we'll get to do it, and it'll make it all the more enjoyable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Sorry to read about the current work situation,
    MCOS wrote: »
    If you can, tip away with your swimming as you have made some progress there.
    and maybe the odd run here and there, just to clear the head and destress every so often.

Don't write off Connemara just yet (or 1/2 maybe:)).

best wishes
    jb

Many thanks for the support folks. It's much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Carb,

Sorry to hear that you'll be going off the radar for a while... Anytime I didn't bother to kit up, I'd invariably come across your log, which would give me the required motivation...hopefully you'll be back before long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Hang tough Carb. Its not a pretty time but give it your best shot and just enjoy whatever exercise + fresh air you can fit in even if its just a walk around the block at lunchtime. We'll be rooting for ya :).

Advertisement