Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are the benifits of the TUI?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Just wondering guys what the benifits of joining the TUI are? ive been amember for over 6 years and pay over 30euro a month and cant actually see what benifit i have gained from al these payments? As far as i can see there is no health insurance policy or discount, the car insurance scheme works out more expensive than shopping around yourself and i cant afford to be putting money away in the credit union?
    am i missing something here?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

My wife has recently started working as a primary teacher and the INTO union fees would be something similar. This is a huge amount of money per person - I presume ye get really nice chocolate biscuits at your meetings?!?

In a somewhat related issue - SIPTU are tearing down their HQ and rebuilding a new one on the same site. Just as well, there's no recession going on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You do get a discount on health insurance. There are group schemes.

The benefits usually only become apparent when you're in bother, like most trade unions. You have the force of an organisation behind you. If you can't see the benefits, why are you paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I, and many of the teachers in my school would have possibly said the same over the past couple of years 'Why are we paying all that money out every month, we don't get anything out of it'

Quite a number of teachers I work with had a LOT of hassle getting their CIDs this year, cuts in hours, changes to their contracts etc etc and they got onto the union and they sorted it all out for them fairly sharpish. Every single one of them to the last would say it's been worth every penny they've paid in over the last few years. They would never have been able to do it without all the help they got.

A lot of people would probably say, they're not in it for the benefits you mention - healthcare, car insurance, credit union etc - but rather for the protection and help it offers when it's needed.

I, and many of the teachers in my school would have possibly said the same over the past couple of years 'Why are we paying all that money out every month, we don't get anything out of it'

Quite a number of teachers I work with had a LOT of hassle getting their CIDs this year, cuts in hours, changes to their contracts etc etc and they got onto the union and they sorted it all out for them fairly sharpish. Every single one of them to the last would say it's been worth every penny they've paid in over the last few years. They would never have been able to do it without all the help they got.

A lot of people would probably say, they're not in it for the benefits you mention - healthcare, car insurance, credit union etc - but rather for the protection and help it offers when it's needed.

Rainbowtrout,

Have you ever thought about the cost? Are you happy with the cost? At what point would you ask the question, 'What is the money going on...' €100 per month?!?

deemark wrote: »
    You do get a discount on health insurance. There are group schemes.

Buy it online yourself and you'll get the same 10% discount.

As for the other group schemes, if you've been blindly following these you may not be getting the most competitive deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The day the rep told us all to meet the principal due to a union issue and we all had to stand behind the rep, it became apparent to the 2 who were not in a union that the proposed walk out if negotiations over an issue weren't resolved, they would have to stay and work and pass the picket.
    The union is expensive, seems useless and you think you might not need it but this year if ever is when you really do need to be in the union, if there is a strike then you must come to work, you must cross the picket and you will not be liked if you are in a very hardline school. One thing I learnt, people take the union very very very very (get my point) seriously.

The other point i would have is the day a student says something about you, even no matter how false it is, thats when the only back up will be your union. Or the day the post interviews are swung in someones favour. Or the day you don't get your salary and the dept isn't too worried about getting it to you in a hurry. Or your principal is trying to screw you out of something. Its all about protection. And all that money goes into funds for striking and paying head office salaries etc. Yes it is expensive. But I would never ever recommend anyone to be outside a union, its a very dangerous place to be in teaching, for YOUR own sake. Its like driving without a seatbelt to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for the replies comrades :), the issue was never should i leave the union as it would never happen having been brought up by my parents never to cross a picket and also having had first had dealing of months of strikes with my father during the eighties. The issue was primarily the benefits that arise from the money being paid every month and to what end this money is being used for if it is not for the benefit of the contributing members...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

smcgiff wrote: »
    Rainbowtrout,

Have you ever thought about the cost? Are you happy with the cost? At what point would you ask the question, 'What is the money going on...' €100 per month?!?

What union are you in paying €100 a month?

*searches for payslip*

€16.53 fortnightly for me does not break the bank for what I outlined and all the stuff TheDriver mentioned. It's about half the cost of my health insurance which I have never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

There are definite benefits to union membership at the moment. However, they might show some solidarity with members by perhaps taking a pay cut in line with ours and reducing their subscription costs.

Some might view the unions as private sector organisations making hay out of representing public sector workers!!

What union are you in paying €100 a month?

Hi,

None- I obviously was not clear enough.

Some people saying the union is great without much thought to the cost. Does anybody question the union's cost?

When is the last time they had to supplement teacher's wages? They must have huge war chest by now.

Although, with that said it is almost certain it will be dipped into soon. Although, it is equally certain pay cuts will be required, it's a debatable point as to whether the pay cuts will be limited by strikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

TheDriver wrote: »
    The day the rep told us all to meet the principal due to a union issue and we all had to stand behind the rep, it became apparent to the 2 who were not in a union that the proposed walk out if negotiations over an issue weren't resolved, they would have to stay and work and pass the picket.
    The union is expensive, seems useless and you think you might not need it but this year if ever is when you really do need to be in the union, if there is a strike then you must come to work, you must cross the picket and you will not be liked if you are in a very hardline school. One thing I learnt, people take the union very very very very (get my point) seriously.

The other point i would have is the day a student says something about you, even no matter how false it is, thats when the only back up will be your union. Or the day the post interviews are swung in someones favour. Or the day you don't get your salary and the dept isn't too worried about getting it to you in a hurry. Or your principal is trying to screw you out of something. Its all about protection. And all that money goes into funds for striking and paying head office salaries etc. Yes it is expensive. But I would never ever recommend anyone to be outside a union, its a very dangerous place to be in teaching, for YOUR own sake. Its like driving without a seatbelt to be honest.

Interested if you still hold this view now ?
    I don't see any benefits for subscription paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

It really doesn't need to be about what you get out of it, but maybe what we get out of it. If there were no unions the last 8 years would have been an even bigger mess than they were.

But anyway, here's some of the things, Ward Report, Return of S&S, Pay Restoration, More Autonomy in CP Hours.

Those are recent enough and yes maybe not enough. But without the Union....

doc_17 wrote: »
    It really doesn't need to be about what you get out of it, but maybe what we get out of it.

???
    I am referring to a hefty sub which runs to thousands over years, hard to justify

Pay Restoration ???
    On inferior pay-scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I heard that management wouldn't consider someone for a post of responsibility iunless they had union membership!! I'm not sure why but I suppose if anything happened the union would pick up the legal tab rather than the school or teacher. Has anyone heard of this?

It's just an insurance policy really .. why do I need car insurance every week if I don't crash etc...

If anything happened and you weren't in a union I suppose you could look at all the money you've saved and hire you're own solicitor, would they have the same knowledge as a union solicitor who deals with similar cases on a weekly basis?

Plus it'll represent the profession as a whole and state the case of the majority of the membership. The TUI don't have that anymore now as they are tied into Landsdown Road and can't strike... anything and everything can be railroaded through without a whisper.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I heard that management wouldn't consider someone for a post of responsibility iunless they had union membership!! I'm not sure why but I suppose if anything happened the union would pick up the legal tab rather than the school or teacher. Has anyone heard of this?

It's just an insurance policy really .. why do I need car insurance every week if I don't crash etc...

If anything happened and you weren't in a union I suppose you could look at all the money you've saved and hire you're own solicitor, would they have the same knowledge as a union solicitor who deals with similar cases on a weekly basis?

Plus it'll represent the profession as a whole and state the case of the majority of the membership. The TUI don't have that anymore now as they are tied into Landsdown Road and can't strike... anything and everything can be railroaded through without a whisper.

Now that (mgmt -por) if correct is interesting - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Now that (mgmt -por) if correct is interesting - thanks

I've never heard it mentioned before TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

km79 wrote: »
    I've never heard it mentioned before TBH

Come to think of it, if I were recruiting folk to be AP's I'd want them fairly loyal to me (who wouldn't!). Any ructions within a school about management decisions and a union meeting is held, I'd be asking my colleagues fairly sharpish what was said and by whom! Maybe I've been watching too much House of Cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

TUI got me my full time CID when the ETB were playing silly beggars and my principal didn't care. Worth every penny. The extra money I'm earning every year is many multiples the subscription I pay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Interested if you still hold this view now ?
    I don't see any benefits for subscription paid.
    I still hold this view. As much as I would have bones to pick with the union and I voted against their recommendations, I would also dread to think where we would be if we didn't have a union. I think we would be rode by govt at every opportunity.

As a Principal, wouldn't give a flying toss if a prospective post interviewee was in a union or not. And I would want them loyal to the school foremost, not loyal to me personally though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

TheDriver wrote: »
    I still hold this view. As much as I would have bones to pick with the union and I voted against their recommendations, I would also dread to think where we would be if we didn't have a union. I think we would be rode by govt at every opportunity.

As a Principal, wouldn't give a flying toss if a prospective post interviewee was in a union or not. And I would want them loyal to the school foremost, not loyal to me personally though

Likewise I think that the union is very necessary and worthwhile. While I think TUI were right, in the latest situation, they can make a balls of stuff too.

What an effective union needs is good people working together to keep an eye out for each other. In a school that means looking at the new teachers and making sure they're not shafted for hours and so on. Nobody in an office on dunlin van do anything unless there are people on the ground looking after themselves first . this has to be a collective thing , this individualism with people knifing each other to get ahead.

All the talk of the integrity of the profession on threads around here would bring up your dinner. The same people sit in staff rooms and backbite from one end of the week to the next and make underhand comments about the ability of 'older' teachers to teach.

What's going on in teaching at the minute isn't just a product of the recent cutbacks, there's a mindset of entitlement and superiority amond a lot of people who think they're gods greatest gift to their schools. People feel that in staffroom s and can be alienated and undermined. Personal and professional loyalty comes first, a union is useless without that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I'm in a union and seriously considering leaving. I have been an active member in the past; branch secretary, speeches at congress, good-natured rabble-rousing in general. In the last while though I find that more and more my union membership is an unjustifiable expense.

People say "Oh, the day might come when you need the union, you might get in trouble of some sort and you'll need the protection of your union." I always wonder what they mean by this. Surely the law is there to protect me, unless I'm on the wrong side of it and we're talking about professional misconduct of some description. If that is the case, does that mean that union fees are going to protect teachers who have crossed a line? Why am I paying for their poor judgement?

The other argument against the union is even more obvious. I have watched lazy underqualified teachers retire on a very generous pension, negotiated by the union. The recent entrants to the profession are paying for that sweet deal, both in their paychecks and their working conditions.

On a more petty and personal level, the people I have seen rise to dizzy heights in the union are not exactly the cream of humanity. It kills me that I'm helping to keep some of their very luxurious cars on the road.

In the old days, when my father was teaching, the unions fought against cronyism and corruption. They brought in transparent hiring policies, benchmarked salaries, minimum standards of working conditions. I've benefited from those and I'm grateful. However, does that mean I'm morally obliged to continue forking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'm in a union and seriously considering leaving. I have been an active member in the past; branch secretary, speeches at congress, good-natured rabble-rousing in general. In the last while though I find that more and more my union membership is an unjustifiable expense.

People say "Oh, the day might come when you need the union, you might get in trouble of some sort and you'll need the protection of your union." I always wonder what they mean by this. Surely the law is there to protect me, unless I'm on the wrong side of it and we're talking about professional misconduct of some description. If that is the case, does that mean that union fees are going to protect teachers who have crossed a line? Why am I paying for their poor judgement?

The other argument against the union is even more obvious. I have watched lazy underqualified teachers retire on a very generous pension, negotiated by the union. The recent entrants to the profession are paying for that sweet deal, both in their paychecks and their working conditions.

On a more petty and personal level, the people I have seen rise to dizzy heights in the union are not exactly the cream of humanity. It kills me that I'm helping to keep some of their very luxurious cars on the road.

In the old days, when my father was teaching, the unions fought against cronyism and corruption. They brought in transparent hiring policies, benchmarked salaries, minimum standards of working conditions. I've benefited from those and I'm grateful. However, does that mean I'm morally obliged to continue forking out?

Just imagine what it would be like in five years time if we all decided a union was an expense we could no longer afford.

Just imagine what it would be like in five years time if we all decided a union was an expense we could no longer afford.

Point well made but just imagine paying for an inferior pay scale and have fempi apply ,

same terms and conditions apply outside Union without cost of subs

As Dr Phil (may his head be ever shiny) always says, the most reliable indicator of future performance is past performance. In the last ten years, unions have caved to poorly-thought-out junior cert reform, caved to extra hours in school, caved to laughable NQT salaries. (Meanwhile union high-flyers avail of numerous perks and very generous financial remuneration, very far removed from the reality of the job.)
    It's a question of demographics. The union officers tend to be in the later years of their teaching careers. It seems to me this is reflected in the fact that thousands of young teachers scrimp to put petrol in the car so they can get to work, and a few short years ago a cohort of teachers retired early on a very generous pension.
    Those of us with thirty years left in the job were used as leverage to negotiate for those pensions. This is the union's past performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As Dr Phil (may his head be ever shiny) always says, the most reliable indicator of future performance is past performance. In the last ten years, unions have caved to poorly-thought-out junior cert reform, caved to extra hours in school, caved to laughable NQT salaries. (Meanwhile union high-flyers avail of numerous perks and very generous financial remuneration, very far removed from the reality of the job.)
    It's a question of demographics. The union officers tend to be in the later years of their teaching careers. It seems to me this is reflected in the fact that thousands of young teachers scrimp to put petrol in the car so they can get to work, and a few short years ago a cohort of teachers retired early on a very generous pension.
    Those of us with thirty years left in the job were used as leverage to negotiate for those pensions. This is the union's past performance.

Are you talking about Union officials or the local voluntary Union reps?

Have you served as a Union rep?

spurious wrote: »
    Are you talking about Union officials or the local voluntary Union reps?

Have you served as a Union rep?

I'm talking about the officials. I've never been a rep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm talking about the officials. I've never been a rep.

Why not? It's people with passion are needed as reps. If the old brigade get suck doing it, it's only human nature that they get fed up with it.

A branch's activities and policies tend to reflect the meet up of their meetings.

Why not? It's people with passion are needed as reps. If the old brigade get suck doing it, it's only human nature that they get fed up with it.

A branch's activities and policies tend to reflect the meet up of their meetings.

That's the funny thing. As the demographic has shifted in our branch and the average age of members dropped the meetings still tend to be dominated by the old guard. It's a few years ago but I remember a meeting was called because some of us were being asked to use an electronic system which was very convenient, a huge timesaver. The old guard felt threatened and panicked, and when others pointed out that it really wasn't that big a problem they were put in their place with two old chestnuts. "It's the thin end of the wedge" and "It was never done that way here before."

I'd never be a union rep because I have absolutely zero patience with that sort of thinking.

The 'young folk' need to go for positions in the Branch. It's much more than a one meeting a month commitment though, which is why it's hard to get new people to do it.

• Advertisement

The 'young folk' need to go for positions in the Branch. It's much more than a one meeting a month commitment though, which is why it's hard to get new people to do it.

I was young (everything is relative) when I was branch secretary. I had no CID, 12 hours teaching, the usual uncertain situation. On a number of occasions I was put in very uncomfortable positions, signing my name to letters I had been told to write on behalf of one or two members who had axes to grind. There is no way I'd advise younger members to put themselves forward for that sort of thing.

Advertisement