Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are the benifits of the TUI?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

doc_17 wrote: »
    It really doesn't need to be about what you get out of it, but maybe what we get out of it.

???
    I am referring to a hefty sub which runs to thousands over years, hard to justify

Pay Restoration ???
    On inferior pay-scale

Apologies for the messy quoted post, it was the way it was originally quoted by Frank that left it like that.

But to your point Frank. You may think your sub isn't worth paying. That's ok. I get that. But the point you miss is that if there wasn't a union, then five or ten years from now teachers would be only too delighted to pay what they pay now to get the terms & conditions they'd almost definitely lose, back.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

Apologies for the messy quoted post, it was the way it was originally quoted by Frank that left it like that.

But to your point Frank. You may think your sub isn't worth paying. That's ok. I get that. But the point you miss is that if there wasn't a union, then five or ten years from now teachers would be only too delighted to pay what they pay now to get the terms & conditions they'd almost definitely lose, back.

Ok but you didn't elaborate on question -what pay restoration ?? Moreover, those on lower scale have already lost the terms and conditions you allude to.
    That is all , thanks for engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My feeling on the TUI versus no union during the last few years is that we would be way worse off. The defence force cuts were very stringent (they had no official representation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I too find myself questioning the point of TUI membership. I have been unhappy with their policies for years now having voted NO to all the agreements and feel they didn't do enough over pay inequality and casualisation. But that's down to how the members voted and now I'm finding that those affected by the inequality aren't willing to fight either and are voting to forego any chance to fight to protect what they have just like those before them. So I can't blame "the union" entirely here for their actions.

But what is really my bugbear with the union is that they have imo lost any real power on the ground among their own members in schools. This to me is what is causing the union to weaken further and further and will I think eventually lead to their downfall completely. They are failing to act when their own members flout rules and breach directives, intimidate vulnerable members. And then they wonder why younger members won't get involved in the union. The union's own members are complicit in dismantling the strength of the union and they are left to do it without sanction. Union involvement is damaging to your career in my sector yet those with the power are union members themselves. Those in senior management are the most protected by union membership from what I see. They have ETB backing in breaching directives and regulations but at the same time have TUI backing in dealing with any disputes or complaints.

I believe they still have a purpose and (some) power in negotiations with the government for terms and conditions but that they then allow these conditions to be significantly eroded on the ground. This is my main issue with the TUI and I think about leaving all the time because of it. But I agree with the point that without union representation we would lose even more than we have and things would be in a very bad state if everyone were to leave, so I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

On a number of occasions I was put in very uncomfortable positions, signing my name to letters I had been told to write on behalf of one or two members who had axes to grind.

unfortunately there are a few members of our profession who behave quite childishly and unfortunately can get away with it in teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

TheDriver wrote: »
    unfortunately there are a few members of our profession who behave quite childishly and unfortunately can get away with it in teaching.

And the union supports them. At my expense.

Frank,

There is pay restoration, http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lansdowne-road-agreement-key-points-1.2354303

Whilst it's not all of it, it's a start. The reason I didn't elaborate is that I thought you'd be familiar with it.

Frank,

There is pay restoration, http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lansdowne-road-agreement-key-points-1.2354303

Whilst it's not all of it, it's a start. The reason I didn't elaborate is that I thought you'd be familiar with it.

There is no pay resoration for inferior abs unequal scales
    only the S&S payment and Pension levy reduction over 2yrs - pretty poor return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

€1000 on each scale point?

What is "inferior abs unequal scales"?

• Advertisement

What is "inferior abs unequal scales"?

Should read "and"
    Apologies correct on both your points
    but not really restoration when you consider on inferior scale.

The inferior payscales are a scourge and the forum will hopefully address them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Will there now be six different pay scales in operation come this September. Must be great employment opportunities going in the payroll section of the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

I wonder too about membership though I understand its protective nature.

On the odd occasion I have had recourse to it, I have had to leave countless messages. When eventually contact was made I felt a dismissive tone to my concern that unsettled and angered me.

Then I ask myself how much am I paying every month and where is it all f.....g well going.

Advertisement