Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:55am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, my 7 year old is asking for some form of drums for rock band/guitar hero for christmas so i thought id do a bit of research here on boards.
    Recently hes been playing guitar hero and loving it.
    Hes able for most songs on medium difficulty which is pretty impressive imo so i feel he might just enjoy the drums also.
    The thing is i havent a clue whats what in this genre so advice would be appreciated.
    Which offers the best drumming experience?
    Which has the best build quality etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi folks, my 7 year old is asking for some form of drums for rock band/guitar hero for christmas so i thought id do a bit of research here on boards.
    Recently hes been playing guitar hero and loving it.
    Hes able for most songs on medium difficulty which is pretty impressive imo so i feel he might just enjoy the drums also.
    The thing is i havent a clue whats what in this genre so advice would be appreciated.
    Which offers the best drumming experience?
    Which has the best build quality etc?

You can get a full rock band set guitar , drums and mic in smiths toys for 45 euro, no games though.

the build quality of the rockband drums is rubbish though and I could imagine a 7 year old would absolutely batter them :D

The guitar hero ones are much better build wise, but are also much more expensive, I might be wrong but the drums on their own can be somewhat tricky to track down.

Both sets of instruments will work fine with the games, although the guitar hero drums I find work but are not great in Rock band.

there's also some new games and bundles due out for xmas, lego rockband , band hero (new guitar hero) and the beatles rock band is already out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It should be noted also that the Rock band set uses cables and the Guitar hero is wireless, in case that is of concern to you op.

Nice post btw D4rk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks a lot folks, some serious info there.
    My little lad is pretty fussy when it comes to music, he says he is a rocker :)
    But once he is playing away i doubt the song will matter too much.
    I had planned buying him the full set of drums guitar mic etc with 1 or 2 games, i should have stated this i guess.
    That deal in smiths is a bargain.

Ill have a good read over this info tonight to digest it all and chat to herself to see what we will do.

Thanks a lot folks, i really appreciate it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Not a problem, I'm glad I finally found the motivation to write that damn FAQ, it's been on my to do list for a long time. Your thread is different to the usual ones though, so it was okay ;) Post back when you come to a decesion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Rock Band 2 also has a 'drum trainer' mode while not a substitute for real lessons it will teach the basic beats/fills.

• Advertisement

My big long post has been moved to a sticky Dcully, so check it out there :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It well deserves a sticky, great post .

Just to edit:
    Ive decided to go with RB, ill get that offer in smiths for 49 yoyo and get 2-3 of the games to go with it.

Don't forget all that juicy DLC! THe great thing about RB is that it's treated more like a platform, where the greatest effort is made to make everything cross compatible. Glad we could help either way Dcully. Be sure to come back and tell us what he thinks! :)

Advertisement