Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large cavities in block walls.

• 13-10-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

When building in block construction I am aware that when using cavities larger than 100mm, extra engineer works or supports of some kind may be required. But if going from 100mm to 150mm is there a need for much extra works or can you simply have a wider foundation and simply build as normal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gears wrote: »
    When building in block construction I am aware that when using cavities larger than 100mm, extra engineer works or supports of some kind may be required. But if going from 100mm to 150mm is there a need for much extra works or can you simply have a wider foundation and simply build as normal.

The correct answer is that anything over a 100mm cavity needs to be designed by an engineer, and I doubt you will get many here offering advice otherwise.
    Originally Posted by C&P Charter
    On construction related matters any specifying of structural components is prohibited. Any queries in this regard need to be dealt with by an architect/engineer privately.

The engineer will specify the different components that need to be modified to make the wall structurally sound. Things like, vertical and horizontal wall ties spacing, max linear lenghts, max heights are all factors that contribute and may require modification depending on the cavity size, and the orientation of the wall. It would be extremely foolish to do anything other than what is advised in the Charter. Professional advice is most definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

That's what I was thinking but I wasn' tsure if it applied to 150mm cavities or just to those about that level. Thanks.

Advertisement