Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* PC WORLD Waterford still open?

• 13-10-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Been trying to ring the feckers all morning and no answer! Really bad service (if theyre still open that is!)

Am going to drive (from wexford!) so need to know if theyre still about guys?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

They were up to a week ago but can't speak for anytime since then. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Yeah, you can't ring them.... for some stupid reason they have automated telephone systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Ugh! IDIOTS! Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Yes, they're still open - I was in with them on Saturday getting a keyboard. They're extremely busy with the amount of repair work coming in lately, so I would assume that's why they've switched to the automated phone system.. which is sort of understandable, since from experience in callcenter work, far too many people will want to spend over half an hour on a phone attempting to grasp the idea of a computer problem before agreeing to bring their PC in - instead of just bringing it into the shop to begin with.

Not saying that you in particular would spend half an hour describing and arguing a PC problem which will eventually wind up with heading into the store regardless, but it's worth switching off the phones just for the people that do.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I dunno what number you were trying to get through on, but I just got throughtto them with no bother on their 051 355014 number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

have never once been able to get thru to them when i phone em, best bet is to call into them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I dunno if its changed but PC world are bloody terrible for pc repairs. Before I knew anything about computers I had left my pc in there... took over a month for them to tell me my pc was fecked (motherboard fried)! Brought it to that place on parnell street across from the tower and they sorted it within days. On two other seperate occasions have they told my friends there pc is fecked when it wasn't! They needed new motherboards and ram and a graphics card in the other(which they could provide at a cost) I fixed them within the hour just by reinstalling xp.

Seriously.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dazftw wrote: »
    I dunno if its changed but PC world are bloody terrible for pc repairs. Before I knew anything about computers I had left my pc in there... took over a month for them to tell me my pc was fecked (motherboard fried)! Brought it to that place on parnell street across from the tower and they sorted it within days. On two other seperate occasions have they told my friends there pc is fecked when it wasn't! They needed new motherboards and ram and a graphics card in the other(which they could provide at a cost) I fixed them within the hour just by reinstalling xp.

Seriously.

whats the name of the place on parnell street? my laptop has passed away by the looks of it but i would like to get it checked out before throwing it on the scrap heap! any ideas on price etc also wol be helpful

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Waterford Micro Systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very different shops - one sells product, the other is run by computer men.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The larger retailers like PC World will always generally say the harddrive/hardware has failed etc when it comes to computer problems and I'd say its shocking the amount of harddrives they physically replace on a weekly basis (and charge for!).

This of course gives the average joe a horribly perspective on harddrives as they must think they fail or as pc world often say "crashed" alot when in reality harddrives and for that matter other hardware such as ram or motherboards themselfs really don't fail that often.

Most of the crap they deal with is adware stuff the odd virus and driver issues but rather then spent time removing stuff its easier for them to format and reinstall and charge a nice price for the pleasure of it.

Its a nice little number when you think about it especially when the people that use them don't know any better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv had clients with the same problems, after coming from other IT repair businesses in Waterford who made a balls of various basic jobs. With the job losses, now more people are starting up and claiming they can repair computers for handy cash, when in reality they are pretty poor.

Iv never liked any PC Worlds repairs or warranty offers. Seems, from reading online and speaking with clients, im not the only one.

Be careful who you approach for repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Waterford Micro Systems.. has always been pretty decent.
    PC World has at least one decent guy there, cant remember his name though, he used to work at the internet cafe on the park road, back when they were building and selling computers. He's the only person I would trust in there to have a clue what he's talking about.

The only thing I'll ever use PC World for, is buying off-the-shelf parts that I need, when I dont want to bother buying off the internet. If WMS actually took credit or laser cards, I'd probably buy more things from them.. but PC World has the edge on parking, and the aforementioned.

It goes without saying that I wont bring my computer to any place for repairs, I dont trust anyone not to eff it up worse, or tell me something I don't already know without telling me something useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I wouldn't say WMS have always been pretty decent. Maybe they are now. I wouldn't know because of the bad and downright strange experiences some years ago putting me off going there ever again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kahless wrote: »
    I wouldn't say WMS have always been pretty decent. Maybe they are now. I wouldn't know because of the bad and downright strange experiences some years ago putting me off going there ever again.

Agreed I've had some very poor dealings with them in the past,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

pc world are as dodgey as they come,leagalised cowboys is all they are,,i bought a laptop there before and asked if there was any deals on the model i way buying,the sale rep said no as this was a new model or line of product they were just after starting,went in there the following week and there was the same laptop 50 euro cheaper and a free laptop bag chancers is all they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

pc world are as dodgey as they come,leagalised cowboys is all they are,,i bought a laptop there before and asked if there was any deals on the model i way buying,the sale rep said no as this was a new model or line of product they were just after starting,went in there the following week and there was the same laptop 50 euro cheaper and a free laptop bag chancers is all they are

A price reduction from one week to the next doesn't make a company cowboys. There are plenty of reasons to say they are cowboys, but this isn't one of them. It would be pretty poor if prices never reduced. What do you expect them to do? Tell everyone to buy nothing for x weeks because there will be price reductions in x weeks? That is how to run a business into the ground.

Kahless wrote: »
    A price reduction from one week to the next doesn't make a company cowboys.

A price reduction doesn't make the staff mean the staff are telling lies either, staff don't decide what items are priced at, they are certainly not cowboys just because a price changed that happens with everything.

honeybadger, I suppose you refer to Tesco, Lidl, Dunnes, your corner shops etc as cowboys too because their prices change on items from time to time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I gave up on pc world a long time ago. Its handy if your stuck for something (if they have it) and they do have a some staff that know their stuff,

I bought a laptop years ago that I foolishly got insurance with. It had a problem took 3 months for it to come back and I had to give it straight back to em cause the whole casing was cracked on it. Granted it wasnt fully their fault as they send a lot of repairs to the UK afaik. But it was enough to put me off.

so can anyone reccommend a place for me to take my laptop then?

besides the two mentioned in this thread obv!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kryogen wrote: »
    so can anyone reccommend a place for me to take my laptop then?

besides the two mentioned in this thread obv!

Whats the problem? Ill take a look if you like - I am bit snowed under but I may be able to look at it for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

whats yer problem with the laptop sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Sully wrote: »
    Iv had clients with the same problems, after coming from other IT repair businesses in Waterford who made a balls of various basic jobs. With the job losses, now more people are starting up and claiming they can repair computers for handy cash, when in reality they are pretty poor.

Iv never liked any PC Worlds repairs or warranty offers. Seems, from reading online and speaking with clients, im not the only one.

Be careful who you approach for repairs.

+1
    We get a few computers to re-repair as well. It seems that every person with a screwdriver is now a PC technician!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Cabaal wrote: »
    A price reduction doesn't make the staff mean the staff are telling lies either, staff don't decide what items are priced at, they are certainly not cowboys just because a price changed that happens with everything.

honeybadger, I suppose you refer to Tesco, Lidl, Dunnes, your corner shops etc as cowboys too because their prices change on items from time to time ;)
    fair point cabaal about the staff, there the one's left doing the dirty job for there employers,, and i have no problem with tesco lidil dunnes or corner shops either,,if they can give people more value for less and sometimes a better product for a lot less than these established retailers well im all for it

Whats the problem? Ill take a look if you like - I am bit snowed under but I may be able to look at it for ya.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    whats yer problem with the laptop sure?

i was using it one day and it just went off!! completely died and wont come back on!

any ideas??

havent brought it anywhere yet as i have another laptop and a desk top but i have some stuff on the hard drive that i would love to have access to!

kryogen wrote: »
    i was using it one day and it just went off!! completely died and wont come back on!

any ideas??

havent brought it anywhere yet as i have another laptop and a desk top but i have some stuff on the hard drive that i would love to have access to!

I have the same problem with my laptop - but I ain't opening it since its under warranty.

I can test the laptop to see the problem source anyway. Have you tried running it on the charger only? Or just by the battery? Also check if the fuse in the charger plug is not gone - sometimes worth getting a secondary charger and seeing if that helps. Some laptops indicate if they are getting power - does yours?

I have the same problem with my laptop - but I ain't opening it since its under warranty.

I can test the laptop to see the problem source anyway. Have you tried running it on the charger only? Or just by the battery? Also check if the fuse in the charger plug is not gone - sometimes worth getting a secondary charger and seeing if that helps. Some laptops indicate if they are getting power - does yours?

no power reading at all, even if i plug the charger in it doesnt register :(

literally it has died!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I cant comment about their sales, but earlier this year I had a problem with my laptop and brought it into them, called back a few days later and they said did not look at it (rotational basis's). Called back a week later and they said the technician was sick :eek:, ok but do they only have one repairer. I took it from them and had to ring the manufacturer to get it working, only sorry I did not do it in the first place, bloody pathetic, absolutely useless at repairs.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

yeah there useless, ive been that my laptop was basically "too expensive to repair and it would be better to buy a new one". So i took it back and am getting someone else to fix it.:mad:

but yea there still open, i was in there today gettin my laptop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

wellbutty wrote: »
    +1
    We get a few computers to re-repair as well. It seems that every person with a screwdriver is now a PC technician!

Well having a screwdriver is usually a step in the right direction, it's straight forward enough to be fair.... it's like lego these days

Advertisement