Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! No Style Alert

• 13-10-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!
    In desperate need of help in the style department!
    Basically I have no style at all, I have no idea how to be a girl not to mention dressing considerably younger than my college counterparts.
    I had very little friends in school because of the way i dressed.I was never any good at putting on make up or wearing skirts. I'm a bit of a tomboy and dress accordingly but I'm starting to hate it.

I got a job in Urban Outfitters but then they fired me cause they didn't like the way I dressed and now I can't shop their anymore even though it was my fave clothes shop.

I want to stop wearing jeans and band t-shirts all the time and try to pull off some feminine clothes.
    i guess I'm going for sort of an indie chick look.
    I'm in art college and was surprised when i saw how many girly girls there are in my year.
    I'm not fat, 5'5 9st but am really paranoid about my arms, I'm convinced I have bingo wings and constently wear a black hoodie....with every outfit!
    I also feel like I don't know how to put an outfit together match and mismatch clothes accordingly etc....
    Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Same measurements as me, and I live in band shirts too ;)
    With my band tees I always go for guys sizes and fold and iron up the sleeves to make a baggy tank. Instead of hoodies, try slouchy cardigans instead.
    Keep a look out in Penney's and H&M for simple dresses that can be layered with long sleeve tops, belts, cardis etc.
    As regards skirts, you don't have to wear them, but what I love are plain body con ones, they're always in H&M. Something like this http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&productId=1284477&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=
    Add band tee, brogues, long cardigan, outfit sorted. Coloured tights look great with this too.

You don't need a style overhaul, just a few new bits to add to what you already have.
    Big things for winter are sequins, lace, velvet, the colour purple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Try buying some magazines for inspration. You dont need to change your entire wardrobe to feel fashionable.

Change your shopping habits... For instance, instead of buying bootcut jeans, try opting for a pair of skinny jeans or a straight cut. If you feel you have a tomboyish look, dont change it. Just work with it. Instead of a band tshirt, try opting for the retro look. Just because you want to mature your look, doesnt mean you have to wear heels... Maybe a pair converse or a pair of pastrys. Dont change your enitre look all at once, its too drastic. maybe change one thing at a time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Hi Digigal, first of all your dismissal from Urban Outfitters sounds a tad unfair... I'd maybe check that out a little further.

With regards the "no style" concern... you sound to be stuck in a bit of a style rut and are in desperate need of an update to lift you out. A good start, I think, would be to have your hair done. How long have you had the hairstyle you're currently wearing? If you feel you dress younger than your college counterparts, a new contemporary hairstyle can make you look more mature and little bit older. AND stylish. Perhaps try something short if you've had long or mid length hair for a while and if you choose to dye your hair, go for a colour that's easy to maintain and won't go out of fashion. Rich coppery browns suit a lot or Irish skin tones, and there are a lot of home dye kits in these colours on the market. You don't need to break the bank for a style update. Go to your local hairdressing academy for a cut, and you'll be charged significantly less than in a regular hairdressers, possibly nothing.

The clothes- a good wardrobe is about having high quality, timeless staples that will last a few years and can be teamed with more up to the minute, trendy pieces. I would advise against spending money on high fashion pieces (the likes of velvet, shoulder pads, etc) because they'll be considered "uncool" in a few months time and you'll be kicking yourself for spending an arm and a leg on that sequinned bodycon dress. Pay for things like flat leather boots in brown or black. Riding style boots have been fashionable for years now and are still on the catwalks. Office and Aldo have both have lovely examples and Evans are great for ladies with a wider calf.

Invest in a trench coat- this will take you anywhere. You can wear it during the day to college when it's chilly with a nice hat, scarf and gloves, and over your going-out-gear at night as well. Can be instantly updated with brooches and pashminas, etc.

Jeans- buy a simple, straight leg pair with mid size pockets to flatter your bum. Middling blue wash, you can wear these out at night with heels or during the day tucked into boots. Topshop and NewLook have great selections, and both shops offer student discount too.

Bag- a big shoulder bag or cross-body satchel in brown or black leather will last you the rest of your life. You'll see great ones in charity shops, but if you'd perefer something that hasn't been pre-loved, again, you can't go wrong with Topshop, Urban Outfitters, or eBay.

Wear makeup that suits your face shape and complexion. Maybe treat yourself to a consultation at a makeup counter in your local department store. DO NOT FEEL OBLIGED TO BUY EVERYTHING/ANYTHING THEY USE ON YOU IF YOU'RE NOT COMPLETELY SURE. Do invest in a good foundation, all other products can be bought from your local pharmacy or Boots.

Buy layering staples like long cardigans and long sleeved tops in basic colours that you can brighten up with bangles, scarves, etc. Penneys have lovely knitwear and little tops in at the moment, and always have fashionable, cheap accessories.

College, especially art college, is about expressing your own style. Don't feel for a second you have to conform. Wear what you feel good in- booking an appointment with a personal shopper or stylist will do you wonders, and again, don't feel pressured to buy here if you're not completely sold on what they show you.

Lastly, get measured professionally for a bra. Buy simple underwear in white, nude and black- you can pay a little more for these as they'll be used all the time.

Hope these tips helped- last one (I promise!) is bring an honest friend or your mum or aunt etc. with you when you go shopping to offer advice and constructive criticism.

Happy shopping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DigiGal wrote: »

I got a job in Urban Outfitters but then they fired me cause they didn't like the way I dressed and now I can't shop their anymore even though it was my fave clothes shop.

Whoah whoah - they told you to leave because they didn't like your dress sense?!?! Are you serious? You could take them to a tribunal for that if you have evidence/witnesses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

eth0_ wrote: »
    Whoah whoah - they told you to leave because they didn't like your dress sense?!?! Are you serious? You could take them to a tribunal for that if you have evidence/witnesses!
    Unfortunatley...I was under a 3 month probaitionary period in which my contract states
    "UO reserve the right to terminate employment for any reason within the probationary period" :(
    Lost a deposit on a falt and all becuase of them...they promised me job security :(
    First they said it was because they couldn't afford to keep me then they said
    "We feel your style just doesn't fit in with the personal vibe of the store"
    Cnuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you dont need fcuking style, wear what you want, when ever you want, f everyone else

Overature wrote: »
    you dont need fcuking style, wear what you want, when ever you want, f everyone else
    I know I don't need it...but I'm very unhappy witrh my clothes and don't feel comfortable anymore.

fend wrote: »
    Try buying some magazines for inspration. You dont need to change your entire wardrobe to feel fashionable.

Change your shopping habits... For instance, instead of buying bootcut jeans, try opting for a pair of skinny jeans or a straight cut. If you feel you have a tomboyish look, dont change it. Just work with it. Instead of a band tshirt, try opting for the retro look. Just because you want to mature your look, doesnt mean you have to wear heels... Maybe a pair converse or a pair of pastrys. Dont change your enitre look all at once, its too drastic. maybe change one thing at a time...
    I try to change my habits but panic and think "What if I never wear this again" etc etc...
    Ah of course I ahve a few pairs of cons :) I love them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

One of the things I started to wear to bring my wardrobe from tomboy to girlier is shirts. Plenty of lovely shirts out there, from flannel very tomboy to curvy floaty blouses and lots in between. Like today I wore a red and black check shirt, black flares and a long sleeved black tshirt, but it looked femimine because the shirt was curved with my body, and I threw on a long necklace and red cons. Basic but easily matched. Lots of the time I am in a rush so for outfits I might pick two or 3 colours and put them together like yesterday wore white, purple, black: black pants, white and purple film strip tshirt, purple cardigan, black shoes. Start small with items you really like, you can work around them then adding bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Some great advice there.

I think, just have a look at what other people are wearing whether its on Grafton Street, in the magazines or on the internet (style blogs), see what you like the look of and what you think would suit you. Then go and have a look around the shops - do this early morning when the shops are quiet and you can have a good look around and not feel rushed. And like what was said before, pick some things that you'd never think of wearing and try it on. You could surprise yourself.

Look up people like Alexa Chung and Ferne Cotton. They're your typical indie chicks. Floaty dresses or denim skirts with chunky boots and funky tights would be a nice change from jeans. Hats, scarfs, belts, bangles/earrings/necklaces, can all help spruce up (can't believe I used that word!) an outfit.

I think you tend to fall into your own style after a while. It just takes some people longer to find their own. (I was a state going to art college. Lived in baggy tops, trackie bottoms and flared jeans. Shockin!:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

am i a total spanner or what but could someone please tell me what Cons and body con dresses are?
    thanks

and op i am NO fashion queen but i mix what i am comfortable with and what is appropriate for the occasion and i occasionally try a few new things (bought my first leggings last week- i so dont have the legs for them but i'll use them as footless tights or something).
    fashion is for the Season but Style is forever!

try figuring out your body type and matching clothes to maximise your assets and hide any flaws.... and COLOURS, what suits you?

good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

all_smilz wrote: »
    am i a total spanner or what but could someone please tell me what Cons and body con dresses are?
    thanks

and op i am NO fashion queen but i mix what i am comfortable with and what is appropriate for the occasion and i occasionally try a few new things (bought my first leggings last week- i so dont have the legs for them but i'll use them as footless tights or something).
    fashion is for the Season but Style is forever!

try figuring out your body type and matching clothes to maximise your assets and hide any flaws.... and COLOURS, what suits you?

good luck!

Cons are converse trainers and Body Con dresses are the really tight dresses that hug the contour of your body. I think Twee post a link to a skirt above.

Advertisement