Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Resources.

Options
  • 13-10-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, apologies if this stuff has been posted before, (I couldn't search to check:() but I just said I'd add a few videos that I thought were cool :)
    Also if it's more suited to the relevant links threads, then by all means mods feel free to move it. I just think that vids of space deservere their (pardon the pun) own space.

A pretty darn good series on the cosmos..
    *Narrators voice irks me a bit though :(*
    ep1 :"Returning to the Moon"

Same Channel with a video with some truly beautiful pics of Mars:)

Same Channel again with again with lovely pics from hubble

Pretty Decent Beginning Video..

Last but not least, (kept my favourite for last so I did:))
    NOVA video on Spirt and Opportunity.
    Does a good job at showing a tiny bit of the amazing ingenuity used by the NASA team:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Some good stuff there. Slap me hard if I'm stating the obvious here, but I think the narrator's voice is a computer text to speech program.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Some good stuff there. Slap me hard if I'm stating the obvious here, but I think the narrator's voice is a computer text to speech program.

That's what I thought at first too, but I don't think so anymore, it's not credited though:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Malty_T wrote: »
    That's what I thought at first too, but I don't think so anymore, it's not credited though:confused:

Hmm..perhaps it's just a really good one. I'd bet that the latest generation of text to speech is quite sophisticated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

This was the first time mankind saw an Earthrise with their own eyes,Dec 24th 1968

• Advertisement

depending on who You believe!:) Apollo 8 checks out the 'Sea of Tranquility,site of 1st moonlanding.Then the Astronauts read something that was suggested by one of their wives,when he said "We will be circuling the Moon at xmas,What the fcuk am I going to say:),apparently NASA approved of her suggestion:)

Bumpage Time.

Best of Cosmos here.
    Full Cosmo Series available to watch here.
    (DVD is always better though:))

My Favourite PBD video.

Planetary Collision - NASA's response to 2012.
    (Based on actual observations made by Spitzer.)

Speaking of Spitzer..some humour clearing up popular misconceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Malty_T

I think a sticky for " Space Videos " similar to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055259806

would be great , what you think??

Stargate

Stargate wrote: »
    Malty_T

I think a sticky for " Space Videos " similar to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055259806

would be great , what you think??

Stargate

I think the thread needs a bit more popularity before the mods will make it sticky. Feel free to keep adding folks.

Malty_T wrote: »
    I think the thread needs a bit more popularity before the mods will make it sticky. Feel free to keep adding folks.

Why Malty_T ? If there was a ticky there people would use it , it wouldnt do any harm to try it and see hows it goes , just a thought Malty_T ;)

• Advertisement

Hi malty realy enjoyed those vids,for some reason the second one set to music and Carl Sagans words was my favourite.
    also was reminded that Beeker was the first on the Astonomy/Space thread to post 'the pale blue dot' vid and Sagens comments.The reason i say that is i find a lot of plagerism goes on in the A/S forum,either by accident or design.I think its important that we credit a poster that sets us of on a tangent new to us that we find fascinating.{oh please do not feel i am suggesting that about You!}

Stargate agreed lets post our videos here that by themselves are not worthy of a new thread but no feelings of guilt about going off-topic,just anything that appeals to us and hopefully others.

A place were what is 'precious' to us we can share to the relative tiny amount of boardsie's that have an interest,but may,be just may,be might set off some people to be more interested in the past&future of manned/unmanned flights and Astronomy.

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hi malty realy enjoyed those vids,for some reason the second one set to music and Carl Sagans words was my favourite.
    also was reminded that Beeker was the first on the Astonomy/Space thread to post 'the pale blue dot' vid and Sagens comments.The reason i say that is i find a lot of plagerism goes on in the A/S forum,either by accident or design.I think its important that we credit a poster that sets us of on a tangent new to us that we find fascinating.{oh please do not feel i am suggesting that about You!}

Stargate agreed lets post our videos here that by themselves are not worthy of a new thread but no feelings of guilt about going off-topic,just anything that appeals to us and hopefully others.

A place were what is 'precious' to us we can share to the relative tiny amount of boardsie's that have an interest,but may,be just may,be might set off some people to be more interested in the past&future of manned/unmanned flights and Astronomy.

For once :D:D i will say WELL SAID ynotdu :P:P

EDIT:

PS .. i cant type as fast as you so my comment is short and your post deserved a lot more sorry

That PBD video is the one I've posted here on boards more than any other video. Anytime Sagan get's mentioned...:D

I will be here forever looking at videos lads :eek: Some very funny people in this forum :D , Lurkers please be aware of the above posters :D;):p:):rolleyes::o:cool::P:pac:

Last but not least, (kept my favourite for last so I did)
    NOVA video on Spirt and Opportunity.
    Does a good job at showing a tiny bit of the amazing ingenuity used by the NASA team

Malty .. tnx for that man , its just brilliant :eek:

PS Malty im downloading it right now , jez 320 mbs @ 200k
    Isnt the net just the greatest thing:p

EDIT :
    Malty , just watch all 57 minutes of that , excellent doc !!!

The first manmade sounds from outer space oct 4th 1957

Cant recommend the song but the imagery especially the front page of the newspapers i can!

Really Cool video of a Launch of the Minotaur rocket from Vandenberg AFB, viewed from Santa Barbara by Doc Searls and his kid.

Awesome stuff !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

This one will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck :eek:

View in HD if you have the bandwith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I love this video of the launch of STS-1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Carl Sagan and friends on God

• Advertisement

This isn't really a resource, but it's well worth a watch nonetheless.

Here's the Youtube link. Make sure you watch it in HD.

Hey -JammyDodger-

Happy Xmas Man :D Long time no see ;)

Great Video , Tnx !

KABOOM!!
    Not really.

Have a listen why don't ya?
    Note : Turn up volume!

From Nothing?

Em....no

Expansion.

Evolution of matter.

Birth of the Solar System.

N.B
    If you have youtube account please rate these videos as creationist vote bots continuously attack the user. Sad but true.:(

And that ends our cosmic journey:D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Some good astronomy talks over on ted.com

This one from Carolyn Porco is an emotional talk on the Cassini mission and Huygens descent to Titan.

http://www.ted.com/talks/carolyn_porco_flies_us_to_saturn.html

In response to post #21 Carl Sagan and(friends)Stephen Hawkings and Magnus Magnusson,In the spirit of the Season allow Me a little artistic license:)! We are not geeks or nerds just not easily brainwashed!

Hi Malty,well Midnight mass done nothing to help my spiritualy on TV so I thought i would check out your FIVE:eek: Vids for inspiration for some meaning to it all:),They were fascinating, TY.

AFAIK the last claim from Hubble controllers was they have looked back to within 600 million years of the big bang.

I still have no idea where the random matter that collided to create the big bang came from:(
    Guess i will have to remain an agnostic/Humanist for a while yet:)

Pioneer 10 had it's closest fly-by of Jupiter on this date Jan 3rd 1973.It was the first craft to pass through the Asteroid belt and fly on to Jupiter and observe it directly.It is still out there heading out to?...............
    The last contact made with it was in Jan 2003{astonishing for a craft that was conceived in 1969!!!!!!

and this one is the sounds of Pioneer getting a hammering by tiny particles at its closest approach to Jupiter.{bowshock, in NASA speak:)}

and on the 4th of Jan 1965 Gemini 7 was launched with a two man crew.
    It was unusual because gemini 6 had not yet launched,the{swiftly changed} plan was to launch gemini VI within 14 days to perfect rendevous in space needed for Apollo.

This explains why Gemini 7 went before 6!Fantastic or Crazy Commandor?You decide!:)

and on the 4th of Jan 1965 Gemini 7 was launched with a two man crew.
    It was unusual because gemini 6 had not yet launched,the{swiftly changed} plan was to launch gemini VI within 14 days to perfect rendevous in space needed for Apollo.

This explains why Gemini 7 went before 6!Fantastic or Crazy Commandor?You decide!:)

Two cool crews. Gemini 6 was commanded by Wally Schirra who had his hand on the abort handle when the Titan booster shutdown at T-0 but kept his calm and did not abort, which made it possible to use the booster again and fly a few days later. Schirra was one of the "Original 7" Mercury astronauts he flew on Mercury 8 and latter as commander of Apollo 7, the first apollo flight in 1968. He is the only man to have flown on Mercury, gemini and Apollo. The pilot of Gemini 6 was Tom Stafford, he went on to command Apollo 10 the dress rehersal for the moon landing in May 1969 launching from Pad 39-B {ynotdu;):D} and then as commander of the Apollo Soyuz Test project in 1975.
    Gemini 7 crew was Frank Borman and Jim Lovell. Both went on to fly together again on Apollo 8 with Bill Anders at Christmas 1968, becoming the first humans to fly to the moon. Lovell also flew Gemini 12 and went on to command the infamous Apollo 13 in 1970.

• Advertisement

Beeker Shuddup and post a Video!:D

Advertisement