Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pro ever caught cheating?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

is point break trying to to a subtle reverse p1ss take!! If not god help him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

gorrrr72 wrote: »
    I suspect that Pointbreak is a new bot that became "aware". And is now trawling through the poker forums infiltrating the pc's and laptops of online poker players.

Interesting you should say thatbecause someone said to me at the poker on Monday night that FullTilt hadnt been given a clean bill of health by the new online poker regulators because they had been using bots. I havent checked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    Most people dont read the books because admitting that you can learn more at poker than you already know is like admitting that you are bad at sex. With your style at the minute you are making it more difficult for you to win. A 3 or 4 BB raise would have eliminated the 7/2 and the rest of the rag hands and that is what you need to do so you can make a read on what the player or players left in the pot are likely to have. If you let people limp all the time you will never know where you are after the flop. The general rule is dont lose your money in an unraised pot.

I'll call with the 72 a lot of the time preflop because it makes me very hard to read. I could have called you with the 72 or I could call you with the Aces behind a few people, and you won't know which so it will make my hand very hard to read and your hand very hard to play and that makes me hard to read.
    There's more than one style to the poker you know.
    People were accused of cheating and proven to be cheats because of the maths. The reporter worked out that it was mathematically impossible for a series of players to win so much over so long a time.
    Maths is an integral part of poker and the basic theory is to try and always be getting the correct odds for a call or raise.

Look the mathametics is important if your good at it but it's not essential.
    The way I look at it is it's just a bunch of 50/50's, you either win the hand or you lose the hand. Play on.

Maths is useful but it's not evidence, it wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

Also sometimes you call because you have a sense of it, sometimes I can just tell it's one of those nights and there is no sense chasing, and other times I may not be getting great odds but I have a good feeling about what may come and I'm usually right on that.
    Maths wont do that for you.

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Well i have a few books on sex, but when i bought Hustler, i thought it was about the pokers! I dont mind admitting that i need to learn more (talking about poker now, not sex :))

I just dont see why you should want to raise more and get rag hands to fold. Surely i want them to call when i'm holding American Airlines? I think i'll go back to playing switch. If only i can get them to understand that jack back before it reverses and you cant finish on a double!

You should try Texas Doozy.
    Lurker1977 wrote: »
    So you never lost?
    What happened to the other 8k??? I think somebody is making this up. Shur I could just as easily say that I won a small island off the coast of Narnia on Cool Hand Poker, which is a great site btw and I would urge you all to play on it. There are NO cheats, pros or hustlers there.

That reminds me, I contacted their support about that. Must post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Insanodude

Pointbreak are you telling me you won a 20k tournament and you won 12k .. i think some one has been had lads ... and hes trying to tell us how to play aces lol ... id say this guy is just a serious geezer .... and theres some guy out there with 8k laughing all the way to the bank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Maths is useful but it's not evidence, it wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

Dead right, sure sometimes you know if certain cards are running hot.
    Jacks on the flop all night for example.
    Given the % of flops with jacks on the night, you could base your decisions on the probability of you flopping a jack again.
    Then again, you should do what most good players do and just grow a pair.
    You dont play the cards, you play the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ahhh but how much did you lose?????

My profit on Pokerstars is over 40k. That is profit not winnings.

pfft. you must be one of those online math types. sure anyone can win on that site, just need a lucky account, my friend has one of those. live poker is real poker. feel/soul reading skills/keeping track of what's coming out, those are things you can't get just by reading a book like some sort of nerd, you gain them with experience, like real players. sure you probably use that software stuff that tells you how everyone plays. that's all cheating imo. you don't get phil hellmuth (greatest nlhe player in the world) using that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

you don't get phil hellmuth (greatest nlhe player in the world) using that stuff.

Quoted to show that P_L has came over to the darkside :p

This may be used as evidence against you in the theory section :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

11 wsop bracelets, can't argue against that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

I got to a final table in Cork in a biggish tournament and got 9th.
    Pointbreak is http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=35861 James Browning?

Lurker1977 wrote: »
    So you never lost?

What happened to the other 8k???

The Guaranteed Prize Pool was 20k........... it was well oversubscribed...... so the winner got 12k 2nd got 8k 3rd got 4k etc........

• Advertisement

pfft. you must be one of those online math types. sure anyone can win on that site, just need a lucky account, my friend has one of those. live poker is real poker. feel/soul reading skills/keeping track of what's coming out, those are things you can't get just by reading a book like some sort of nerd, you gain them with experience, like real players. sure you probably use that software stuff that tells you how everyone plays. that's all cheating imo. you don't get phil hellmuth (greatest nlhe player in the world) using that stuff.

Make that greatest tournament player. Hes a donkey at cash games. I was at the same table as him in a tourny in Dublin. He went out early and hardly said a word to anyone.

DeadParrot wrote: »
    Given the % of flops with jacks on the night, you could base your decisions on the probability of you flopping a jack again.

exactly your dead right deadparrot -
    some players worry too much about the cards and the MATHS
    They shouldn't, that's a distraction, it's not real poker

real poker is about playin the man and knowning the man.

tells, it's all about a mans tell. how does he lokk when he's excited?
    Does his leg shake? Or is that because he needs to use the bathroom. If you are observent you'll know when his last bathroom break was and what that shaky leg really means.

maths isn't going tell you that, EVER.
    it's all about a man's tell, no calculators, just you and him.

lol at lucky account. The first 3 years I played I didnt win anything. When I learned how to calculate outs and pot odds and read all the books on strategy............. thats when I started to win. You call it luck if you want.

Pokertracker is legal and you cant multitable without it. Every winning internet player who multitables uses tracker software.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    exactly your dead right deadparrot -
    some players worry too much about the cards and the MATHS
    They shouldn't, that's a distraction, it's not real poker

real poker is about playin the man and knowning the man.

tells, it's all about a mans tell. how does he lokk when he's excited?
    Does his leg shake? Or is that because he needs to use the bathroom. If you are observent you'll know when his last bathroom break was and what that shaky leg really means.

maths isn't going tell you that, EVER.
    it's all about a man's tell, no calculators, just you and him.

You have been watching too many films. Do you seriously think poker is full of people with nervous ticks and leaky bladders. If there is someone who is known to be constantly on the look out for tells a good pro will reverse tell him.

do you seriously think it's full of SUMS

DeadParrot wrote: »

Thats not poker. That is looking for patterns in randomness. You might as well flip a coin to make your decision if you are going to play like that.

do you seriously think it's full of SUMS

Its not full of sums and I never said it was. If you make your decisions based on your best guess, or some idea that because there were a few Jacks on the flop earlier, a Jack will come, and dont use any maths, how do you know when to call or fold ?

You have been watching too many films. Do you seriously think poker is full of people with nervous ticks and leaky bladders. If there is someone who is known to be constantly on the look out for tells a good pro will reverse tell him.

I'm a much better online player than a live player, just because i cant really give off tells online. I struggle to play live because when i get a nice hand, it feels like someone slipped their hand down my trousers and started stroking my balls. I just get a fuzzy feeling and cant keep the smile off my face.

Same when i'm going for a flushdraw (my favourite) I'm really hoping and praying that my card comes, but secretely i'm thinking of my nan on the bog so i dont get too excited if it comes.

I think i need coaching in the art of tells. I found Mike Caro's book krap, but it does make a pretty good door stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Hi pointbreak thanks for answering questions I have a few of my own if you have time to answer them that would be great.

during live play I always need to count my outs on my fingers which is not ideal - can i do anything else?

iv recently started check min raising a lot as it seems to reel in the fishs - how can i best do this?

i call a lot pre flop with any 2 cards once they are suited caus if i hit the flush draw i can get it all in and take the fishs money - do you have any other pre-flop tips?

i once seen a guy scratch his nose and go all in turned out he had air! the next time he did it I snapped called him and he had the nuts - what did i do wrong?

Thanks again

• Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oh lawd. I know I should lock this and make a comment..........

• Advertisement

6a00d83451cde069e2011570121faa970b-800wi

6a00d83451cde069e2011570121faa970b-800wi

Can we please keep this on topic Rigger? Posting useless unrelated pictures will only lead to mods possibly locking the thread. Thanks

For the 1st time in a while, i'm gaining a big of understanding about the game because POINTBREAK seems to know what he is talking about and doesn't have the Billy Big Bollix attitude that lots of boards posters have

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭j10spades

i have been reading this thread for the last hour or so and as flushdraw said i've learned alot more in this time than in the past year!!makes me question alot of tells i give off and how to try counteract this.

When i have a big hand why are my eyebrows up permanently in amazment and why does the poker table lift off the ground?..its like these 2 go hand in hand?

when 2 jacks come down on the flop and i have the bulleeeeets i take my chip of my cards coz i'm open mucking if he checks anyway,trapping b*******!always happening,people always have jack s***

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Youre telling us that super users are bad but then telling us to read supersystem so that we can be superusers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Really intresting stuff

1. How important is postion.

2. how do u play jacks?

3. Do you close ur eyes or pick a spot on the table when u go all in.

4. do u find when playing live your mouse clicking finger gives away many tells?

bohsman wrote: »
    Youre telling us that super users are bad but then telling us to read supersystem so that we can be superusers too?

tex mex dolly parton does write good books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭westlife

Ahhh but how much did you lose?????

My profit on Pokerstars is over 40k. That is profit not winnings.

I also won A Cruise on Ladbrokes round Europe and A Trip to the Aussie Millions which I swopped for a Cruise round the Carribean. I won a trip to the World Heads Up in Barcelona with VC and got a freebie to St Kitts with William Hill where I won their Freeroll and got $1000. I got to a final table in Cork in a biggish tournament and got 2500 for 9th. I also won a 20k Tournament in Belfast and got 12k. I came 2nd in the same tournament the following month and got 8k........... so reading the books works for me.

I won the junior tarzan in butlins 3 years running (74-76) ineligitable year after so went for the mother and son comp. Mother let me down as she was in Dan Lowry's the night before until 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

good thread, A+, would read again.

nearly forgot does that book include long division?

• Advertisement

Flushdraw wrote: »
    and doesn't have the Billy Big Bollix attitude that lots of boards posters have

Yep, once one starts they all start. Like flies around sh1te the lot of ya. Nothing like scaring a potentially good poster away with your jibber jabbar. I'm glad the only about 5% of my posts are in the poker section. What you lot have is contagious. I dont want to end up like you. I'll stick to me €10 rebuys and you lot go can around pretending you're all making a fortune playing poker when you're all probably off down the phoenix park at weekends trying to earn a living so you can continue to live the lie...I'm outta here

/rant

Advertisement