Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Power PCIe Card

Options
  • 13-10-2009 12:31pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. At work here, low powered machine with a 350watt PSU. It had an Intel GMA in it, before I put in an 8600GT into it, then a HD3650. Looking to upgrade to something a bit more powerful, but with the same low power consumption :)

Been looking at a few, the 4670 might be tight on the PSU, the new g220 looks alright too, but again, not 100% sure on the PSU. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

*cough*HD4770*cough*

~51W max IIRC. And that's including the 3.3V rail :P

About the same consumption as the HD4670, but twice the output. Gotta love 40nm :D

Off the top of my head there's nothing out there with lower draw 40nm-wise (HD4750 never reached us) and if the system can take a HD3650 I don't see a HD4770 making it cry ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i aint spending about 100 euro on it :D

seriously, its a work pc. i dont want to splash nearly 100 on a card

Why would you need anything more than the HD3650 in it then? :P There isn't really enough of a gap between it and the HD4670 unless you're getting it obscenely cheap. And the HD4770 is twice as powerful again...

Or wait until the 40nm HD5000 budget range cards finally appear... ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ill sleep on it :pac: perhaps a 4770 would suffice.... the 3650 here is wrecking my head with its lack of juice under the hood :p

What are you doing with this work PC? I'm guessing the need for the upgrade means you've moved on from "illicit CS" to "illicit TF2"... Seems to be the trend :D

• Advertisement

nay. cod4 :P and perhaps come c&c too. it runs okish on the 3650, but would rather up the gfx a little bit.

What res? Isn't the HD5670 coming out around this Friday or is that just when the NDA on the reviews expires? Could be worth a look if it isn't FUBAR like its big brothers... :rolleyes:

Advertisement