Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo C30

• 13-10-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hey,<br /><br />
    Looking at a 07 1.8 petrol c30, decent if not spectacular spec. They're asking 13, 950. Any one have any experience of these? What's that engine like on juice? They reliable and what are they like to run? I've heard if something goes wrong with it volvo parts can cost a bomb.<br /><br />
    New model is coming out so any guidance on what I shouldn't offer over would be appreciated too!<br />

One more thing-is it mad buying a car this time of year? Is there a sudden drop in Jan?
    <br />
    This is her http://www.michaelmooreathlone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200931194786393

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I know nothing about them except they are based on a Focus so thats a good start. Diesel would be a better bet IMO...oh and I love the look of them, very distinctive car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Good car,reliable enough.Bear in mind theyre only a 4 seater and not 5.Boot space is quite small ie you wont get a set of golf clubs in them never mind a kids buggy/ pram if you have kids that is :)

Things to watch for--See if the ABS control unit was done in it yet.They are starting to fail in 06`s and 07`s and at a cost of almost 1k + labour its an expensive job.In saying that an 07 is just outside Volvo dealer warranty(so you might get a goodwill claim if it does fail) but even then Id try get a decent warranty from where youre buying it.

Service parts arent too badly priced and you can use Genuine Ford instead of Volvo and save a few quid.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hey,<br /><br />
    Looking at a 07 1.8 petrol c30, decent if not spectacular spec. They're asking 13, 950. Any one have any experience of these? What's that engine like on juice? They reliable and what are they like to run? I've heard if something goes wrong with it volvo parts can cost a bomb.<br /><br />
    New model is coming out so any guidance on what I shouldn't offer over would be appreciated too!<br />

One more thing-is it mad buying a car this time of year? Is there a sudden drop in Jan?
    <br />
    This is her http://www.michaelmooreathlone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200931194786393

That looks like an S spec (cloth interior) so if you buy it, be prepared to love it for a very, very long time.

The 1.8 engine in that is the same as Ford used for ages in the Mondeo (AFAIK) with 125ps. My sister in the UK had a Focus with that engine and that was good fun to drive. As the C30 shares many components with the Focus I don't see any reason that the Volvo wouldn't be as enjoyable. Her indoors has a V50 with that engine and fuel consumption (mainly motorway driving) is averaging 7.4l/100KM. Not spectacular, but not bad for a 1.8 Petrol. Should be slightly better in the C30 as there is less weight.
    The one you linked is the non-flexifuel version so service intervals of 20k and more reliable.

Good Points:
    Nicely laid out cabin lifted straight from the S40
    Unusual small hatch, won't see many others on the road.

Bad Points:
    Only 2 seats in the rear
    No rear leg room
    Boot is barely bigger than a MINI
    Will continue to drop in value like a stone

That one is fairly reasonably priced according to the book, but as there are so few around I wouldn't have clue on a proper value. It would be a fairly decent amount of car for €12,000 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Cheers lads, interested in the S trim and depreciation comment particularly. They're stunning but in 3 years time with a new model out etc I'd be conscious of being stuck with it. Going for another look in a bit and thanks for the air con heads up.
    Seems foolish but I'm divided between one of this (though maybe not this one)and an 08 lancer. Boring and reliable versus bit more interesting. Think they're both decent looking cars and must decide how important 'prestige' and car type are for me. Can get the lancer (listed at 16,000 in the dealer) for 12,750 so that's tempting me too tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement