Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New type of car sales lot? -rights?

• 13-10-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Ive jsut been given the story by my FIL, and hes asked where we stand.

2 weeks ago, the Sister in law bought a car from a 2nd hand car sales place in dublin. she gave in her car, a polo, plus 500 euro, and the salesman gave her a fiesta.

The car failed its NCT, she brought it back and and she said she wants her money back, the guy said he'll give her the money back at 50e a week for 10 weeks (!! never heard of this before, all very strange), when she went down for the 1st installment, the guy said he wasnt giving her the money back but will fix it for a fee (not sure what this fee is yet, still trying to find out).

Anyway, I googled the motor place and its all very unusual, they will sell your car for you on their lot for a fee. So does this get them away from being a car sales man and the sale of goods act? Its like theyre being an intermediary but I havent seen this before, its not like theyre auctioneers. Theyve got like 30-40 cars up on cbg at the moment but dont want to post the site here unless a mod says it ok for obvious reasons. any thoughts? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The car failed its NCT, she brought it back and and she said she wants her money back, the guy said he'll give her the money back at 50e a week for 10 weeks (!! never heard of this before, all very strange), when she went down for the 1st installment, the guy said he wasnt giving her the money back but will fix it for a fee (not sure what this fee is yet, still trying to find out).

I'd be going to a solicitor or the small claims court immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

As you are only complaining at the moment (non-legal), please post the site for more feedback! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP ,it would seem that the dealer in question might not be the most honourable around BUT I think the best thing you can do is give him the chance to rectify the problem, after all its a useable , NCT'ed car that you want at the end of all this. Ask him to fix the car and maybe ask him to get it NCT'ed for you. If he doesnt come up trumps with that then I think you'll have to take it further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think it will come down to what bits of paper were signed, by who, and possibly to some extent who the money was handed over to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Saab Ed wrote: »
    OP ,it would seem that the dealer in question might not be the most honourable around BUT I think the best thing you can do is give him the chance to rectify the problem, after all its a useable , NCT'ed car that you want at the end of all this. Ask him to fix the car and maybe ask him to get it NCT'ed for you. If he doesnt come up trumps with that then I think you'll have to take it further.

yeah, this is what Im thinking, Im trying to get a handle on who these guys are first before I go down there looking for some answers.
    Id like to know whether they're a garage or a car dealer and so would be liable to same rules as laid out here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland

Id rather not publicly post the site without a mod giving yay or nay but will pm to someone if they can take a look? Yes, still in enquiry mode but who knows where this will go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did the guy give her a warranty on the fiesta? Or promise to get it through an NCT?

Otherwise why would he give any money back?

Advertisement