Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help. I've done a really stupid thing!!

• 13-10-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

Was installing an app in the terminal....

It required another application called python, which i proceeded to install (i was really updating it, but i didnt realise that at the time.)

Proceeded to install python 2.6.2. I then tried to install the origional app but it needed python 2.6, not 2.6.2.

Now here is the part where your all going to say - "you plonker"

i thought i might be able to uninstall python and get the origional 2.6 version somewhere. typed in ''sudo apt-get remove --python'', and i removed it.

it was listing the things it had removed ...... mintInstall....mintDesktop....Gnome ect ect

Oh Shyte

So now i've fecked up linux mint. Cant get my desktop. Lost my files. I've deleted what appears to be the equvilent of the ''system32'' folder in windows.

So what now? all i can get is a terminal like screen when i start up. Is there a way to recover the core linux files?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fear not. It is possible to rescue.

Try this:

sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tried and i get ' E: Couldn't find package gnome-desktop '

any more help would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

it's

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (for gnome)
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop (for kde)
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop (you get the idea :))

[edit]On another note - you haven't lost your files - they will all still be there. You just lost your desktop. I'm not sure if any desktop settings will be retained when you reinstall but all your data will still be where you left it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Macros42 wrote: »
    it's

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (for gnome)

Ah yes....that's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Linux Mint customises the GNOME desktop using python.
    I think mintdesktop is a meta-package for gnome-desktop+all the niceties of mint
    have you tried:
    sudo apt-get install mintdesktop

all your data is still there you can backup your home directory if you want to be doubly sure.
    you'll just have to do it all on the command line.

you just need to know the name of your usb drive/external hard drive. it should be something like /dev/sdb1. Then mount it, and use the cp command to copy your home directory on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It should delete any data but that's not a bad idea anyway. You don't even need an external disk:

sudo mkdir /var/tmp/homebackup
    sudo cp -r ~ /var/tmp/homebackup

/var/tmp will not be touched when reinstalling the gui.

@Dartz: WTF are you trying to do? :rolleyes:

@duffman85: Cheers. I don't use Mint so assumed it used the same meta-package as it's mommy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

No matter how stupid a thing you do (at least as far as packages are concerned) you'll ALWAYS be able to recover files using a distro live CD.
    That's of course worst case scenario, but if all you've done is mess-up the packages, your files will always still be recoverable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I think I did this a while ago too, it's a bit mad they bolt all the mint packages onto stuff you might not want!
    Anyway, install:
    mint-meta-main
    and
    mint-meta-gnome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thanks lads, will try solutions when i get home! Its nice to know i havnt lost everything :-)

Advertisement