Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gasworks in High Court - no deposit returned to us

Options
  • 13-10-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

WARNING - GASWORKS - ESSENTIAL APARTMENTS - IN TROUBLES

We moved out from Gasworks at the end of September & still haven't received our deposit back. After weeks of lying to us, we were finally told that the company is in High Court & all assets & bank accounts are frozen.
    So if you are still living in Gasworks & are just about to move out, think twice before paying the last rent or handing over the keys!!!
    It is very unlikely that you will receive your deposit back.
    We have also filed a claim with Tenancy board, so if Gasworks owes you any money, check out www.prtb.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This about the Gasworks n Barrow st, Dublin? (you were in the main gasometer building right?)

Something related to Liam Carroll's troubles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

He probably owns the apartment as many were unsold, even in the good times.
    I wouldn't hold your breath; considering that the next tenent will hand over a deposit, where does that leave them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aqua_01

Yes, it is the one on Barrow street. And yes, it must be related to Liam Carroll...Unfortunately, we only found out way too late.

I guess a big Dublin landmark is turning into a big money scam..and there's so little tenants can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

I checked the Companies Registration website and 'Essential Apartments' are listed as Normal. You should certainly take a case to the PRTB for the return of your deposit as the deposit remains the tenant's money.

Out of interest, did Essential Apartments look for new tenants to move into your apartment?

Thanks, Sharpsuit. I checked daft, but haven't seen any adds for the apartment. But even last time Essential apartments rented the apartment to us through another agent. They know what they are doing. It's very hard to keep a track of their actions.
    I checked CRO as well, their registered address is the same one as of ZOE Development.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

As far as I'm aware, this only applies to the Alliance building (aka the big red yoke) in the Gasworks as that's the only one still owned by Carroll. Apartments in all other buildings are privately owned.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

There's plenty of unsold apartments in some of the other blocks too, Oceanclub.
    You can see the generic adds on daft - as in ' 1/2/3 apartments from XXX'.
    "The current phase comprises a rich mix of large one, two and three bedroom apartments in The Dickens, The Clayton, The Hibernian, The William Bligh."

I don't know if Danninger are trying to rent those, or if they're limiting themselves to the Alliance block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

quozl wrote: »
    There's plenty of unsold apartments in some of the other blocks too, Oceanclub.
    You can see the generic adds on daft - as in ' 1/2/3 apartments from XXX'.

I don't know if Zoe are trying to rent those, or if they're limiting themselves to the Alliance block.

Ah, didn't know that! Guess Carroll is even more screwed than I originally thought.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aqua_01 wrote: »
    I guess a big Dublin landmark is turning into a big money scam..and there's so little tenants can do..
    Its not a scam. Businesses go bust from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

They are doing the same with me and my husband. I just want my money back! I'm kind of lost, we don't know what to do. We need this money to pay the next rent!!! :(

Cheers, Thais

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 timo87

Victor wrote: »
    Its not a scam. Businesses go bust from time to time.

Landlords are not allowed to use the deposit, it should be held until the lease is up and then used to cover any damage etc. if necessary.

The company if they had acted legally would still have the tenants deposit irrespective of them going bust.

So ya if this was me id consider it a bit of a scam.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the company has gone bust, they have no money. If they have no money, how are they to repay former tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Victor, the company's status is listed as normal, therefore the money should be returned as it is technically unaffected by Carroll's troubles at present. In reality it's a subsidiary of Morston and in turn Showlay so there remains issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

rafaetha wrote: »
    They are doing the same with me and my husband. I just want my money back! I'm kind of lost, we don't know what to do. We need this money to pay the next rent!!! :(

Cheers, Thais

Take a case to the Private Residential Tenancies Board to get your deposit back. My understanding is that neither the receiver or the banks who have charges over the Zoe group accounts have difficulties in returning tenants their deposits. The problem lies in getting Zoe/Essential to request that the money be released.

The PRTB will issue an Order that the monies be paid and it is a criminal offence not to comply with the Order.

Contact Threshold for advice.

Sharpsuit is absolutely right!
    Rafaetha, register your claim with Tenancy Board straight away. I got my money back - finally after 3 months of chasing Essential Apartment. They were lying to us every time we called them. Only when Tenancy Board started to act on our behalf, they had no other choice only to return the money to us.
    It is a terrible thing what they are doing to people, especially as they are still advertising the apartments on daft.ie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Does anyone know if the developer (ie the owner of the unsold apartments) is renting out the apartments in the Gasworks? I'm on the lookout for an apartment to rent and my reasoning is that it should be easier to get a good deal out of the owner of unsold (and unsellable in this market) apartments that getting a deal from someone who paid some crazy money 3 years ago. Probably a long shot but you never know

Advertisement