Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance/life insurance hiatus

Options
  • 13-10-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I currently am paying VHI for two adults and two children, life insurance on a separate policy, mortgage protection insurance with an element of critical illness and the payments are very high. Between these insurances it is costing me over 400 a month. I can't afford it at the moment. I have checked around between VHI and the competitors but the difference isn't that much. I was thinking about stopping VHI for a while and the life insurance, and changing the mortgage protection to a cheaper one. But does anyone know if I stop VHI for a year or two is it a big deal to sign up again once I can afford it? I know there will be a waiting period.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

But does anyone know if I stop VHI for a year or two is it a big deal to sign up again once I can afford it? I know there will be a waiting period.
    No, they will have no problem with that whatsoever.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I currently am paying VHI for two adults and two children, life insurance on a separate policy, mortgage protection insurance with an element of critical illness and the payments are very high. Between these insurances it is costing me over 400 a month. I can't afford it at the moment. I have checked around between VHI and the competitors but the difference isn't that much. I was thinking about stopping VHI for a while and the life insurance, and changing the mortgage protection to a cheaper one. But does anyone know if I stop VHI for a year or two is it a big deal to sign up again once I can afford it? I know there will be a waiting period.

The only thing about rejoining VHI after a couple of years with no health cover is that there may be an exclusion period for new policies where you can't claim for a certain amount of time. Would it be worth considering downgrading your level of cover to a cheaper plan for a while? Also, from what I've heard, it's basically pointless having children on your VHI provided they're still young enough to attend children's hospitals. They're entitled to free hospital care, and there are also no private children's hospitals, so it's not going to be a case of needing the VHI so you can have them treated in a private hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

You will need a basic mortgage protection to assign to the bank so you could get rid of the critical illness portion or reduce the level of cover. This will bring the premium down. You can lapse your health insurance for up to 13 weeks and not have to reserve waiting periods.

See page 3 of http://www.hia.ie/sec4_consumer_information/Selecting_a_PHI_product_Sept09.pdf

You could also reduce the cover that you are on by going down to say plan A and cover for about €1,500 or reduce cover further with Quinn or keep cover for adults and leave out kids till you get back on your feet.

Advertisement