Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Music Scene

• 13-10-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I don't know if this has been done before on the Limerick forum but could we all contribute any band or artist hailing from the Limerick area that you are a fan of or possibly a member of (self pimping is ok). I have seen threads like this before from other regions like Galway and Sligo and it has opened me up to hearing bands below the radar that I never would have heard of.

So what I would like to see would be the name of the band or artist, a description of what they sound like (genre), and add a link to their myspace, facebook,bebo or youtube.

It's good to support your own. I'm also gonna post this on the Clare forum too.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I like the idea here.

First local band I've listened to properly would have to be Walter Mitty and the Realists. They're doing pretty well at the moment.

Also, a little plug here for The Demise. Their lead-singer/drummer goes to Mary I, so I've had the chance to see them a few times as well.

It looks like I might be hooking up with a band in the next few weeks, will plug them if my audition goes well :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Some Limerick artists/bands I really like

Brendan Markham ex The Driven click here and here (Excellent band, sadly no longer together)

Secret Police

Walter Mitty & The Realists

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

giveamanakick (alas no more....)
    Windings
    Last days of death country
    birdthistle (shameless plug...)
    mark o connor

there's probably loads more too.

The Driven were from Newcastle West? There's some footage of them on a french tv show from back in the 90s, tis pretty cool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

seachto7 wrote: »
    The Driven were from Newcastle West?
    Rathkeale
    seachto7 wrote: »
    There's some footage of them on a french tv show from back in the 90s, tis pretty cool...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ZJL6iJT3Q

Some music videos from them too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCKbvPevAA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u63Es5cSDo&feature=channel

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

free beer is a good band, i dunno if they just do cover songs tho..or if they are from limerick! they seem to be playing in limerick every week tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    free beer is a good band, i dunno if they just do cover songs tho..or if they are from limerick! they seem to be playing in limerick every week tho!

i think they are just a cover band. seen them in smiths a few times but they put on a good show in fairness. biggest problem in limerick is there are very few places that will hire a band to play their own stuff as oppose to covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Woodstar formed in the early noughties are imo one of the better bands from the area. http://www.myspace.com/woodstarie

Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters http://www.myspace.com/foxjawbountyhunters

Dryad's Saddle http://www.myspace.com/dryadssaddle

Solar Dreams http://www.myspace.com/solardreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Anyone know anything about when Alvin purple broke up or if they have any plans to get back together? Used to see them in Docs late nineties, great times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

Alvin and the boys played their farewell gig back in 2004 at Dolans Warehouse as part of a charity gig..no word of them reforming as of yet but watch this space..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

There's a lot of old info on Limerick bands here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Treaty 300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Vesta Varro anybody...... Released lots of good music and got charted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Better than you are a good up and coming group of youngsters. They play regularly in dolans. They've played Cois Farraige, opened for the blizzards and kila and won the limerick and munster finals of Blast Beat, coming second in the national final

bring back the beat on the street!!:D or the raves in the Theatre Royal would do me!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Better than you are a good up and coming group of youngsters.

I too have heard good things about these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Have to put a plug in for my own group.. Roper. Your friendly neighborhood metal band!

Also worth mentioning are, Last days of death country, windings, walter mitty and the realists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I saw a great rock band in Baker Place back in the summer. Forget the name but there were 2 lads in the band who were half-Asian in appearance, I'd say they were brothers. Played some great tunes-and I got two free bottles of Kopparbergs pear that night as well:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I saw a great rock band in Baker Place back in the summer. Forget the name but there were 2 lads in the band who were half-Asian in appearance, I'd say they were brothers. Played some great tunes-and I got two free bottles of Kopparbergs pear that night as well:).

Going by your description i'd say they are Gargotha Sun from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Have to put a plug in for my own group.. Roper. Your friendly neighborhood metal band!

Also worth mentioning are, Last days of death country, windings, walter mitty and the realists.

are roper the crowd with the twins?

• Advertisement

haha thats us man.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

bring back the beat on the street!!:D or the raves in the Theatre Royal would do me!!

wheres the theatre royal? i remember being in a few raves in the metroland in waterford and getting flyers about raves in the theatre royal in limerick and now that i live near limerick for the last 5 years i still dont know where it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

wheres the theatre royal? i remember being in a few raves in the metroland in waterford and getting flyers about raves in the theatre royal in limerick and now that i live near limerick for the last 5 years i still dont know where it is

Up by the dole office on davis street. I used to hand out the flyers for boogie wonderland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Top of Cecil Street. You'd hardly notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Foleys on Lower Shannon Street are having a singer/songwriter night every Monday night. All welcome. anybody who wants to play can and if you're a bit nervous about playing one of the lads will play with you. Must be original stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

how have the rubberbandits not been mentioned yet :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cos everyone is tired of hearing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

couple of idiots being/acting like scumbags should not be mentioned in the same light as music artists!!!!!!!!!!!!!

these guys are making fun of "the limerick way".

they are sickening

o its so funny lets ring someone and pretend we are someone else and then just before they cop on its a prank we will shout and curse at them

Ill have to step in there Paulegend, the rubberbandits have been making music for the past 12 months or so, and damn fine music at that. They even supported Ice Cube in the tripod in Dublin earlier this year.

You should check out their myspace and see/listen for yourself. http://www.myspace.com/rubberbanditspranks .

edit; what's 'The Limerick way' you are referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

yup, check out bags of glue, up da ra ( a satire)

Advertisement