Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Music Scene

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

could there be shuch a thing:mad:

lol i use to like alot of American rap back in the 90s the real "Gangsta Rap" if you will. i think things went bad with "hi my name is, my name is, my name is. slim shady". of course you could also argue that banilla ice inspired young marshall matters the turd(how many people do you know of that had a rough life in the getto and id named marshall matters iii):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

The Demise are playing in bakers tonight if anyone wants to check them out

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Paulegend wrote: »
    lol i use to like alot of American rap back in the 90s the real "Gangsta Rap" if you will. i think things went bad with "hi my name is, my name is, my name is. slim shady". of course you could also argue that banilla ice inspired young marshall matters the turd(how many people do you know of that had a rough life in the getto and id named marshall matters iii):rolleyes:

Marshall Mathers is one of the most talented lyricists of the past decade. Just avoid his joke songs and his D12 stuff. But, anyway, that's for another debate.

I'm going to quietly plug a cover-band called Curious Notion. Watch out for us in the next few months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 smiley321

any good live gigs tomorrow nite in Limerick ?? (Sun nite) Is there a band in Smiths ?
    Speaking of bands, ive seen the Guests a couple of times in Nancys, every 2nd wed, they are quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

seige of limerick only hours away cant wait for some good old Fashioned metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Smyths has live bands every night of the week, bar saturday when there is a DJ. I work there :P I really like Traffic on a Monday night, plus Big Generator are there on Thursday. Oh and the next time Blue Moose are on, I'm getting the night off the see them!!

Good Limerick band is VeryAngryGirls (V.A.G.)...We're an all girl band, and we're looking for a female lead guitarist or keyboardist!!

V-a-g@hotmail.co.uk

bebo.com/veryangrygirls

Oh yea, and the siege of Limerick was class :) Bit sweaty in there by the end of the night, though most people were well langered to notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Smyths has live bands every night of the week, bar saturday when there is a DJ. I work there :P I really like Traffic on a Monday night, plus Big Generator are there on Thursday. Oh and the next time Blue Moose are on, I'm getting the night off the see them!!

Good Limerick band is VeryAngryGirls (V.A.G.)...We're an all girl band, and we're looking for a female lead guitarist or keyboardist!!

V-a-g@hotmail.co.uk

bebo.com/veryangrygirls

Oh yea, and the siege of Limerick was class :) Bit sweaty in there by the end of the night, though most people were well langered to notice!
    that is one awesome name! :D:D you have a fan in me already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

V-a-g@hotmail.co.uk

bebo.com/veryangrygirls

:D Great name loulou, hope your music can live up to the name. What kind of music do ye play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

V-a-g@hotmail.co.uk

bebo.com/veryangrygirls

Ive been to symths a few times for bands when out with a group and the place just sucks to watch a band.Totally souless,bad layout of tables,too dark in the wrong spots,and what kills watching the band is the people rushing in for the one drink to use the bar as a n entrance to the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I was in there one night for a few jars and a mate of mine had to show some young lad playing guitar in a band how to tune this amp.:D

• Advertisement

Ive been to symths a few times for bands when out with a group and the place just sucks to watch a band.Totally souless,bad layout of tables,too dark in the wrong spots,and what kills watching the band is the people rushing in for the one drink to use the bar as a n entrance to the club

i do agree to an extent. if i dont get a table up near the middle by the stage i dont usuall stay for the gigs. tues wed and thure are usuall the best bands that play there. actually ironiclly i should be there again tonight. there is a band that play there on i think wednesday nights called the zubes. they obviously just play covers there(have to suit the audience i guess). but they have some amazing songs of their own that it would be class to hear. id love to ste up a "gig" night club. like the old termites or bakers. they had some great bands every so often.

where are the main places for gigs in town
    all i can think of is

Smiths
    Bakers
    Dolans
    Trinity rooms(sometimes but i dont trust them:mad:)

Well the band that play tuesdays are same sized feet their grand when your on the beer on student night but they aint great,just backing tracks,try to be funny type of band

Dolans and bakers get the true music heads,totally different crowd to symths

o definitly you cant compare. smiths just cater for the crowd going into a club doh. the type of crowd that want to hear covers and a band of messers. to be honest the type of crowd that annoys true music fans. but howsever youll only have bakers on the weekend(correct me if im wrong) and dolans are expensive(to be going all the time) and they cant possibly have new bands every night so some of their acts would be very slap knee yokal types

...and dolans are expensive(to be going all the time) and they cant possibly have new bands every night so some of their acts would be very slap knee yokal types

???:o

Like who? There's trad sessions in the bar most weekday nights, do you consider that to be 'slap-knee/yokel types'?

Sign up to the mailing list for Dolans. They give a weekly update as to who's playing and when they're playing (also if it's upstair/downstairs)

???:o

Like who? There's trad sessions in the bar most weekday nights, do you consider that to be 'slap-knee/yokel types'?

Sign up to the mailing list for Dolans. They give a weekly update as to who's playing and when they're playing (also if it's upstair/downstairs)

yes im talking about the trad sessions:D sorry just not my type of music. more into the indie rock. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

is there ever any raves going on in limerick or has that whole scene died out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Was anyone else disappointed to find out that not only are the cranberries not coming to Limerick on their upcoming europe tour but their not even coming to ireland!

http://www.cranberries.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That is a bit of a disgrace alright - would love to see them in Thomond Park or Gaelic Grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

is there ever any raves going on in limerick or has that whole scene died out?

We wish!! That scene died out here in Limerick years ago.. All we have now are pretentious dj's in pretentious clubs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

That is a bit of a disgrace alright - would love to see them in Thomond Park or Gaelic Grounds

In their prime the Cranberries never sold out a venue more than 16,000 people in Ireland yet they were filling stadiums in the U.S, they were never as popular here as abroad so I suppose no promoter felt it was worth the risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Can someone tell me what's happened to We Should be Dead, released a great debut album a few years back, nominated for a Meteor but i havent heard anything about them in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Melion wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what's happened to We Should be Dead, released a great debut album a few years back, nominated for a Meteor but i havent heard anything about them in a long time.

They've since relocated to LA! Doing well for themselves too by all accounts.Expect a new album out next year ;)

bobmeaney wrote: »
    They've since relocated to LA! Doing well for themselves too by all accounts.Expect a new album out next year ;)

I heard one of the guys walked out of the band, probably got a plane home then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stab*City wrote: »
    We wish!! That scene died out here in Limerick years ago.. All we have now are pretentious dj's in pretentious clubs..

A lad i work with DJ's at the Groody - so might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I heard one of the guys walked out of the band, probably got a plane home then!

yeah, I see him around the town, you wonder what drove him to jack it in..

Damien Dempsey is playing a solo gig in St. Johns Church on the 5th of December. saw the swell season there last year and was an excellent gig. its hard for glen hansard not to do a great gig but the venue was perfect. there should be more gigs on in places like this. the accoustics are already set up in a place like this. should be a good gig

Glen Hansard!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Glen Hansard!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

hey whats wrong with Glen

• Advertisement

hey whats wrong with Glen

Outspan!

He's a bit **** in my opinion. I don't like the Frames, Once was **** and he smells like incense, you know that "eau de hippy" smell.

Advertisement