Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Music Scene

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Outspan!

He's a bit **** in my opinion. I don't like the Frames, Once was **** and he smells like incense, you know that "eau de hippy" smell.

lol yip he is very very hippy. but i think he is cool. fair enough "once" wasnt the greatest and im not a big fan of the swell season gimmick:rolleyes: but the frames are amazing. glen hansard is amazing. his tributes to mic christopher are unbelievable. through glen hansard mic christopher will live forever. or at least while glen still lives:D

sure he is a hippy but i think thats why he is so cool. he is really into this whole karma and the universe and everything but it adds to his style. id give anything to do a set with glen would be a dream come true.

Glen Hansard is and always will be a LEGEND

just like me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

seachto7 wrote: »
    yeah, I see him around the town, you wonder what drove him to jack it in..

People just move apart from each other in terms of their musical directions. Happens all the time!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Audio of Curious Notion's demo recordings can be heard on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CuriousNotionSounds

You may have to turn up your speakers a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Just saw this thread. It's missing alot of good bands. I'm gonna list out some as they come to mind. I'm still leaving out lots

Alternative/Indie
    Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters
    Seneca
    Laminate Reno
    Fewer The Better
    Walter Mitty and the Realists
    Kyon
    General P.M
    No Land Folk
    Idle Hands
    My Mother's Son
    Vox populi( broken up I think)
    And There are Others I'm Sure
    Cities ( shannon)

Metal

Three Hour Ceasefire
    Shardborne
    Shadowmarch
    Zealot Cult
    Shadowmarch
    castero( nenagh)
    Septica
    Soloway
    Brigantia (from Nenagh but close enough)
    Devil Theory
    Giora

Punk
    The Demise
    Oceans overhead

Acoustic
    Benoit
    Bobby O Keefe
    Brian O Bryan
    David Hope ( Shannon, again close enough!)

Can't really think of any more but there's tons.

Bakers and Dolans are my favourite spots, haven't been to the brazen head but heard from quite a few folks both playing and attending that they're gigs are useless. Not much more places for people to play original music really other than those mentioned- a few spots started but died a quick death when the bars didn't make the financial commitment needed for a venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

if6was9 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. It's missing alot of good bands. I'm gonna list out some as they come to mind. I'm still leaving out lots

Alternative/Indie
    Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters
    Seneca
    Laminate Reno
    Fewer The Better
    Walter Mitty and the Realists
    Kyon
    General P.M
    No Land Folk
    Idle Hands
    My Mother's Son
    And There are Others I'm Sure
    Cities ( shannon)

Metal

Three Hour Ceasefire
    Shardborne
    Shadowmarch
    Zealot Cult
    Shadowmarch
    castero( nenagh)
    Septica
    Soloway
    Brigantia (from Nenagh but close enough)
    Devil Theory
    Giora

Punk
    The Demise
    Oceans overhead

Acoustic
    Benoit
    Bobby O Keefe
    Brian O Bryan
    David Hope ( Shannon, again close enough!)

Cities are from Ennis and Kyon is from Shannon.

I wonder if anyone who is in the know, or had time, could they do a sticky for what gigs are on in Limerick every week? and update it on time?

Would it be worth it? I've often missed gigs that I didn't even know were on in the first place. Or the flip-side, for example, last weekend I went to Bakers to see Jinx Lennon, I was ashamed with the poor attendance as there were only about 20 people watching.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

smiley321 wrote: »
    any good live gigs tomorrow nite in Limerick ?? (Sun nite) Is there a band in Smiths ?
    Speaking of bands, ive seen the Guests a couple of times in Nancys, every 2nd wed, they are quite good

The Boogie Band play every Sunday in Nancys from 7-9.30.

Well worth checking out. They've Jane Frazer, formerly of the Funk Junkies, singing with them this Sunday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

if6was9 wrote: »
    My Mother's Son

My Mother's Son played their final gig before breaking up a few months ago. I'm pretty sure Vox Populi broke up as well. Several members of each band were also involved in a band called Les Enfants Terribles. They're seriously talented musicians, but college and work commitments have got in the way of them playing/recording/staying together.

(Most of them went to the same school as me, so I'd still hear from them fairly often.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Seen the guy from WSBD back working in HMV in the Crescent today, must have been something serious to bring him from LA back to there.

Has anyone mentioned the Supermodel Twins? Great band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

My Mother's Son played their final gig before breaking up a few months ago. I'm pretty sure Vox Populi broke up as well. Several members of each band were also involved in a band called Les Enfants Terribles. They're seriously talented musicians, but college and work commitments have got in the way of them playing/recording/staying together.

(Most of them went to the same school as me, so I'd still hear from them fairly often.)

Far as I know they've still got 3 livewire gigs coming up soon playing support. Then they're stopping cause the drummer's moving to dublin.

hey guys any recomendations for gigs in town this week?

• Advertisement

Paulegend wrote: »
    hey guys any recomendations for gigs in town this week?

The Brad Pitt Light Orchestra with support from Nick Carswell & The Elective Orchestra(Upstairs) in Dolans on the 26th.

The Fewer The Better, Last Days of Death Country and Fun Bobby Followed by TERMIGHT KLUB(Warehouse) also in Dolans on the 27th.

Republic of Loose(Warehouse) on the 29th.

The most anticipated gig would have to be The Rubber Bandits Magic Christmas Mystery Tour Monday 28th December 2009, tickets from Empire for €20.

The Brad Pitt Light Orchestra with support from Nick Carswell & The Elective Orchestra(Upstairs) in Dolans on the 26th.

The Fewer The Better, Last Days of Death Country and Fun Bobby Followed by TERMIGHT KLUB(Warehouse) also in Dolans on the 27th.

Republic of Loose(Warehouse) on the 29th.

The most anticipated gig would have to be The Rubber Bandits Magic Christmas Mystery Tour Monday 28th December 2009, tickets from Empire for €20.

you know what i know ive been very critical of them here but i was actually looking at this gig quite a bit. i dont know if i could sell my soul yet though:D

guess its dolans 26th and 27th:D

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I have to give Laminate Reno my thumbs up. Some real cool beats to their songs. The guitar player's an old schoolmate of mine, a real sound lad with a wacky sense of humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Both these gigs are on the 26th. One upstairs and one in the warehouse.

The Saint wrote: »
    Both these gigs are on the 26th. One upstairs and one in the warehouse.

oops thanks for the correction! would be gas if people turned up for this on the 27th only to pay into la boutique!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Like A Fox

There'll be an Alice in Chains tribute gig in Bakers soon. There's concessions for people wearing flannel shirts and ripped jeans so should be a good one for getting the grungy kids out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

Any punk in limerick haha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I really like these lads
    http://www.myspace.com/redeskimo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

whoa just listened. really good, i got a serious weak spot for synths haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

WSBD are awesome...I really really like them actually. They're not broken up, as far as I'm aware they've a new album out this summer.
    :D Great name loulou, hope your
    music can live up to the name. What kind of music do ye play?

Sorry for delay in reply!

V.A.G. is a good name! Glad you like it! Not sure I can say the same for my parents, but how and ever... We play rock/punk/pop type music. There's stuff on our myspace (which I'm in the middle of doing up!) www.myspace.com/veryangrygirls We played Dolans this weekend, we'd played upstairs before, but this was the warehouse and it was unreal! It was video'd, so there should be a decent live recording finished next week, and you can see if you likey for yourself. A friend has recorded some of our original stuff, one of the songs is up on the myspace, he should be finished the rest shortly.

A sticky on gigs in Limerick would be dead handy actually. LEG doesn't have everything in it at all. Not that hard to do really, just get on to all the venues and have them update you weekly. Not that I'm offering to take it on mind!! But yea, very useful!

• Advertisement

Hey it's nice to see this thread has been unlocked. Anyway, just making a comment to keep it open.

Oh, I heard We Should Be Dead played a great gig in Dolans on Friday night.anyone go or have pics?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Was not at the gig Saturday night but will be going to Galway gig on Thursday.

Was not at the gig Saturday night but will be going to Galway gig on Thursday.

I might just go up myself.

Heard WSBD were excellent the other night. 2 new members added to the band too.

A funny interviewwith the boys before their gig in Dolans last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

We Should Be Dead and Animal Beats!

They used to post here! :D Hilarious interview, almost wish I was going to EP now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

These guys are really good.

Secret Police - Believe

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    These guys are really good.

Secret Police - Believe

Thats very fúcking good!
    Anymore info on them?

• Advertisement

They used to post here! :D Hilarious interview, almost wish I was going to EP now :p

€300 to sit in a field with 1000s of hippies, no thank you.

Advertisement