Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spraying Rushes this time of year?

• 13-10-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

I cut rushes in a field where they were starting to take over earlier this year. I had intended waiting for them to get green again and then spray them but could not do so with the bad weather. The field is now dry and i am thinking of spraying them now with Morton. I know its late in the year but has anyone ever done something similiar and got a good kill.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Anytime the rushes are green the spray or preferably lick at this time of the year will be effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Ideal spraying time for rushes is spring to early august. This way you will be guaranteed a good kill and they will not come back for a few years anyway.
    Rushes sprayed in september or october will also die, but there is no guarantee that they won't grow back next year - actually they most likely will. I have seen it happen on several occasions. It is very tempting to go out ans spray or lick in this dry weather, but you may be just wasting money on the spray when if you wait until spring you will be guaranteed a better kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Landys

Thanks guys for that. Seems to be a difference of opinion. I might spray a small area as an experiment and see what kind of a kill i get.

Thanks again

Problem is the ground has been so wet all Summer that the saturated soil is an ideal seed bed for the rush seeds that are already in the ground for generations
    When this ground is disturbed /ploughed by cattle tracks or when you break the soil with a digger the first plant out of the ground is the rush
    I licked approx 30 acres twice this year and there are still some sprigs appearing
    The rushes are a symptom of a problem and licking and spraying is really a cosmetic exercise
    Without drainage its a short term solution
    I was looking at a new product AQUADYNE which you install with a trencher instead of stone shores and perforated pipe and it almost seems too good to be true
    Expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Landys

Yes i think there is something on that type of drainage on this weeks Journal. There was a demonstration showing how it works. You just put down the pipe and fill in soil, no stones required. Will be interesting to see how it works, dont know anyone that has used it as yet.

• Advertisement

thats a different product altogether
    this a longitudinal slab 6 metres long 2" wide 10" deep
    no stone no digging just a 3"trench 10" deep

Advertisement