Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC's warning letter

• 13-10-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hello,
    I have UPC 10mb broadband. On the web and through their customer service it says that there is no limit to the amount of uploads or downloads per se.
    However, just received a warning letter saying they will terminate my broadband or charge me a higher rate without further notice if i continue to upload/ download more than 250gb per month.
    Firstly, did anyone else out there receive a letter of this nature?
    Secondly, no limit means no limit? Right?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

there t & c's would prob include a term like fair usage policy, basically if you are affecting other peoples connections as a result of excessive downloading, impressive downloading 250gig in a month, then they have to step in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bespin6

Actually, its my first month with UPC and I've uploaded / downloaded 356gb.
    That's not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they retain the right to enforce a FUP (Fair Usage Policy) and YES it is in the T&C's of the contract that they can do this and afaik, nobody has ever challenged this in court (yet) anywhere to see what sort of legal standing it has, al;though tbh if they did the likely outcome would be lower caps all round and no high end packages.

up until the end of last year, i'd heard of people on here downloading over 600gb per month and not hearing a peep out of them, but it all changed in January when they started enforcing their 250gb per month FUP.

unlimited just means that for most people there is no limit, but for anyone using more than what they deem to be *reasonable* they can enforce their fair usage policy and either upgrade them or cut them off at their discretion.

i've heard of people being upgraded to their (undocumented) 20mbps extreme package for €80 per month with no cap or fup at all but i've never heard of them actually cutting anyone off.

i'm just as against it as you are, i got a letter off them for the same thing in Feb for my Jan usage and didn't much like it when i got one either.

yes IMHO, unlimited should bean without cap or fup, but their network couldn't cope without it and 250gb is generous enough for 30-40 quid once you know it's there and i haven't been over it since.

it helps to have a router with bandwidth monitoring on it being as UPC don't give you a way to monitor your usage, that way you can make the most of your connection without incurring their wrath again.

oh, and i just beat you in January as mine was 361gb, although I'm on the 20mbps package. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vibe666 wrote: »
    I've never heard of them actually cutting anyone off.

They threw a stack of people off this time 2 or 3 years ago but then they realised that this was counterproductive and tried bandwidth shaping and the FUP instead .

Remember no matter what package you have everybody shares about 45mbits in a row of houses . It only takes one or two hogs to balls it up for everybody :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bespin6

Ok, so maybe i've been hogging the service for the surrounding area. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

bespin6 wrote: »
    Ok, so maybe i've been hogging the service for the surrounding area. Sorry.
    i forgive you. :)

Advertisement