Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you rate Trapattoni?

• 13-10-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Right - since this is topical at the moment.

How do you rate Trapattoni's performance as the Ireland manager on a scale of 1-10?

Personally I think he is doing a great job. We have an average bunch of players no matter what anyone says - we have 5 very good players - Dunne, Given, O'Shea, McGeady and Keane. The rest are very ordinary bordering on poor.

So given the talent at his disposal he is doing a great job. Drew twice with the World Champions, unbeaten in competitive games - what more can we expect. We have qualified for the play-offs and have every chance of getting to the WC. Soccer, like every other sport is all about winning (or not losing anyways;)). I would obviously enjoy if we played like Barcelona but we just don't have the players. If he doesnt want to play Andy Reid well thats Trapattoni's decision and no-one elses. I say fair play to him for sticking to his guns and not letting the media influence his decisions. Keep up the good work Traps.

How do you rate Trapattoni? 158 votes

0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    1% 3 votes
    0% 1 vote
    1% 3 votes
    7% 12 votes
    34% 54 votes
    42% 67 votes
    11% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Warper wrote: »
    Right - since this is topical at the moment.

How do you rate Trapattoni's performance as the Ireland manager on a scale of 1-10?

Personally I think he is doing a great job. We have an average bunch of players no matter what anyone says - we have 5 very good players - Dunne, Given, O'Shea, McGeady and Keane. The rest are very ordinary bordering on poor.

So given the talent at his disposal he is doing a great job. Drew twice with the World Champions, unbeaten in competitive games - what more can we expect. We have qualified for the play-offs and have every chance of getting to the WC. Soccer, like every other sport is all about winning (or not losing anyways;)). I would obviously enjoy if we played like Barcelona but we just don't have the players. If he doesnt want to play Andy Reid well thats Trapattoni's decision and no-one elses. I say fair play to him for sticking to his guns and not letting the media influence his decisions. Keep up the good work Traps.

I would rate him highly. An 8

Would disagree with alot of what else you say though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Needs a poll TBH.

I would give him a 8 on the basis that we have not lost in the qualifers and that has got us into second and has gave us a chance to qualify and thats what its all about at the end of the day is results pure and simple.

Just taking away points as he does not seem to have the plan or players for a plan B really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

About eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hmmmmm I don't exactly know the intricacies of football so I don't know who would be better for the job. I think he's been good though and now we stand on the edge of qualifying for something for the first time in eight years. I'll take that. In any event, he's definately better than the last two turkeys we've had manage the Ireland team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Better then Charlton , McCarthy , Kerr and Staunton put together so 7 out of ten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

10 for me. Given the state of affairs when he took over and the pool of talent available to him, he has done wildly beyond my expectations (I genuinely saw us finishing 3rd, maybe even 4th behind Cyprus in this group at the off).

Yes he has his idiosyncracies, but this is something that you must accept with managers of his experience and achievements. It's a doublethink to expect a strict, seasoned, systematic manager who'll steady a rocky ship and keep everyone happy.

BVB wrote: »
    Better then Charlton , McCarthy , Kerr and Staunton put together so 7 out of ten

Wow thats a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

briany wrote: »
    I don't exactly know the intricacies of football

Clearly not because
    briany wrote: »
    he's definately better than the last two turkeys we've had manage the Ireland team.

Brian Kerr was/is no turkey

No its not .

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Clearly not because

Brian Kerr was/is no turkey

Either was McCarthy.

• Advertisement

No its not .

McCarthy did great things for Ireland.

noodler wrote: »
    Either was McCarthy.

McCarthy had a better team to choose from as did Charlton.

Kerr and Staunton couldn't get results with and Average team but Trap can

McCarthy had a better team to choose from as did Charlton.

Kerr and Staunton couldn't get results with and Average team but Trap can

I completely agree McCarthy had a better team but surely that doesn't mean he wasn't very good for us overall?

Kerr's record is actually very similiar to Trap's so far.

The 1-0 reverse to France at home being the only real difference in terms of results on a seed-by-seed basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'd give him a rating of 8.

I'm taking away 1 point for the whole Andy Reid situation, not so much because i think he should be in the squad, but because he insists on saying Reid's exclusion is for football reasons - I'd hold him in higher regard if he would just admit that it's because of what happened in Germany.

I'm taking away another point because as another poster has mentioned, there is no B game. I think we rely on luck a lot, which has worked well so far. I'd rather see us play a more attacking game at least at home, Both Whelan and Andrews are capable of joining the attack nat club level. The way it is right now leaves a huge gap between midfield and the strikers, a situation which negates Robbie Keane.

I'd much rather him in charge than our last "world class" management team, but i'm not sure as of yet i'd rather him in charge than Kerr. If we don't qualify through these upcoming playoffs there has been no improvement on the Kerr era, certainly not in the football we play. However, we are unbeaten in a group which has the current world champions which is a remarkable achievement in itself.

So yeah, an 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He gets a 7 from me. Loses points for -

1. The already mentioned apparent lack of a plan B. When he takes off a player they are replaced by pretty much a worse version rather than something a bit different - McGeady for Duff, Rowlands for Whelan, Gibson for Andrews etc. His squads are quite limited in terms of flexibility.

2. If we go a goal down to a decent side I don't think we have the potential to break them down due to the lack of a creative influence in the middle of the park.

3. We haven't actually qualified for anything yet. If he gets us to South Africa he can have the point back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

We have finished second in a pretty poor group with probably the most disjointed of all the first seeds. Therefore to me he is average, nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He gets a 7 from me. Loses points for -

1. The already mentioned apparent lack of a plan B. When he takes off a player they are replaced by pretty much a worse version rather than something a bit different - McGeady for Duff, Rowlands for Whelan, Gibson for Andrews etc. His squads are quite limited in terms of flexibility.

2. If we go a goal down to a decent side I don't think we have the potential to break them down due to the lack of a creative influence in the middle of the park.

3. We haven't actually qualified for anything yet. If he gets us to South Africa he can have the point back.

Pretty much agree with that, though McGeady is not worse than Duff IMO. I gave him a 7. Also another reason is the Andy Reid situation and I was also hoping we'd shuffle things around to exclude Kilbane. (tin hat on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

This is ludicrous tbh, McCarthy is the best mangaer the country has ever had, Charlton was the inspiration behind the elevation of Irish soccer to where we expect to qualify for major tournaments and Kerr is the most successfull Irish manager of all time with what he achieved in under-age tournaments and was very harshly treated by Delaney and Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

This is ludicrous tbh, McCarthy is the best mangaer the country has ever had, Charlton was the inspiration behind the elevation of Irish soccer to where we expect to qualify for major tournaments and Kerr is the most successfull Irish manager of all time with what he achieved in under-age tournaments and was very harshly treated by Delaney and Co.

Brian Kerr didnt do it at senior international level. He had his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

McCarthy was the best manager we’ve ever had.
    We played some sublime football in 2002. Remember us completely outplaying Spain – can anyone imagine us doing that now?
    It’s a pity his and Jack’s roles weren’t reversed – imagine the football he could have got Whelan, Houghton, Sheedy, O’Leary, Stapleton and co. playing. Could have had a really classy side.

Personally, and I’m probably being a little harsh here, I’d give Trap somewhere between a 6 and a 7.
    He’s definitely improved the team but I’m dropping marks for what I’d perceive as poor handling of Andy Reid, not picking his best players, lack of tactical versatility and negativity when we go ahead.
    Also for a defensive team, we make too many defensive lapses.
    He still has a chance to pick up a World Cup qualification bonus point though

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    Brian Kerr didnt do it at senior international level. He had his chance.

He only lost one competitive game in the one campaign he had full control over though.

Also, his record at underage level does count for something.

Your getting mixed up with great managers and A great team of players

Your getting mixed up with great managers and A great team of players

No credit then for McCarthy for getting us to 3 play-offs and one world cup?

And none for work and trophies won by Kerr at underage level?

All down to the players?

Jesus, where did Stan go wrong??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd give him an 8.

The only concern I have is his squad choice outside of his first 11. Impact players like A.Reid (Attacking) or Carsley(defending) should be ahead of generic work rate players like Miller who is too like the current midfield.

Other than that I think he has done a fantastic job and actually looks like he is trying to develop a tight-knit squad. Regardless of how we get on in the play-offs I think he will have a positive impact on the squad over the next two years and I look forward to him blooding new players for the Euro campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If 5 was the average I'd give him an 8. Has a very average team with only 1 truly top player in Given and such a big hole in the centre of the park, got drawn with two better teams in the group, a bogey team in Cyprus and the worst bottom seed to get in the Jovetic, Vucinic led Montenegro. Bulgaria may have beaten themselves to some extent but drawing the toughest 4 matches and doing well in every other game set that up to happen.

The fact is that while Ireland may be worried about the likes of France, Portugal and Russia I can guarantee you that none of those teams will want to go up against a team who relish being the underdogs, have gotten impressive results away from home, have one of the greatest managers ever, a top class keeper who if he has a good day can end your hopes, a tradition of good support and who most importantly are unbeaten through qualification despite getting drawn with the world champions. Ireland are the team that those 4 will want to avoid and that's down to Trap and he deserves alot of credit for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Even though it pains me you have to give the man a seven, with a possible extra two marks if he gets us through the qualifiers. I would give an eight but took a point of for the handling of Ireland/Reid/your own favourite player.

bluefinger wrote: »
    Even though it pains me you have to give the man a seven, with a possible extra two marks if he gets us through the qualifiers. I would give an eight but took a point of for the handling of Ireland/Reid/your own favourite player.

Whatever about the Reid situation, he has done absolutely nothing wrong in relation to Stephen Ireland, it was a situation which had developed before he even got the job, and as for Ireland's claims that Trap didnt show him enough courtesy or ''sell it'' to him - laughable tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd give him an 8, can't argue with the results.
    I'd give him a 9 if he managed to get those results playing in an entertaining fashion and I'd give him a 10 if he had have won the group.

Simple enough for me.

I'll put that post down to your location !

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with a post as much as yours tbh.

• Advertisement

Good so far

So your combined score for staunton, mccarthy, kerr and charlton is 6 or less out of ten.

Is that what youre saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So your combined score for staunton, mccarthy, kerr and charlton is 6 or less out of ten.

Is that what youre saying?

It would be 6 or less out of 30 no?

I like this Italian manager chap. I'll give him ten.

noodler wrote: »
    No credit then for McCarthy for getting us to 3 play-offs and one world cup?

And none for work and trophies won by Kerr at underage level?

All down to the players?

Jesus, where did Stan go wrong??

McCarthy was a good Manager with great players at his disposal
    Kerr was a Great Manager for underage level and not so good at senior level
    If he is a Great manager why does he manage FAROE ISLANDS:confused:
    Staunton was a good player unable to Manage

Jack Charlton Achieved results with great players. what about him

Jack Charlton Achieved results with great players. what about him

Managers get players to play football not Longball

he didn't need midfielders . 8 defenders and 2 strikers

And he was there to pay the Bar bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

7. He tranformed the shambles we had into a solid enough outfit. Though organisation etc I don't think needs to come at such a high price I.E. Absolutely awful to watch. Letting personal reasons omit Andy Reid grates also. Though 'if' Reid is disruptive etc I would back Trap (Don't think he is though). Leaves me dumbfounded with his lack of selection of Lee Carsely also. Performances have failed to impress, but results have been good. Our ineptitude in holding onto the ball is a concern, but again, results have come from awful performances. So 7, due to organising the shambles, and getting decent results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Gets a 7 from me.

Not having Andy Reid in the squad, yet having Liam Miller included he though he didn't have a club, no Lee Carsley, no Clinton Morrison..even a Rory Delap as our setpieces look like our main source of goals (rather an ugly, successful, Stoke than a pretty, relegated, West Brom)..we've enjoyed a lot of luck to get to our spot so far. Realistically, the only teams we have beaten were Georgia twice and Cyprus twice.

He brought an adequate system, but if we are really as solid as people make out, then we won't have lost the lead on such a regular basis.

Plus points are we're unbeaten, in the playoffs... which is a much better improvement over 4th place last time out, and all that with a limited bunch of players (as a whole).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Given the players we have at present a 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd give him a 7 too. He's our very own version of Sven. LOL at the idea of him being a 10.

Whatever about the Reid situation, he has done absolutely nothing wrong in relation to Stephen Ireland, it was a situation which had developed before he even got the job, and as for Ireland's claims that Trap didnt show him enough courtesy or ''sell it'' to him - laughable tbh

Precisely, Trap takes no blame for whatever complex Ireland has.
    Managers get players to play football not Longball

he didn't need midfielders . 8 defenders and 2 strikers

And he was there to pay the Bar bill

Unlike the Total Football we are playing now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

LOL

Kerr only lost one competitive game to a thierry henry wonder goal, that does not amount to "not so good at senior level". should never have been treated the way he was imo.

trap gets an 8 from mise. good job with limited resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He's got the best out of a lot of mediocre players, I rate him highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tactically limited, poor man management. I'm sure others could have done as well if not better while demanding rather fewer readies.

mike65 wrote: »
    Tactically limited, poor man management. I'm sure others could have done as well if not better while demanding rather fewer readies.

yeah you would imagine after 40 years someone would have outed him as a fraud, fair fcukin play Mike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

My Rating: 7

Positives:

-Achieving results. Yes, Italy are overrated, but I believe second place was as good as we could have hoped for.

-Team is full of belief. Ireland's ability to get late goals stems from confidence within the team.

Negatives:

-Negative style of play. We have blown leads 5 times in the WCQs because we don't push for a second goal to kill off the opposition. We prefer to sit back and absorb pressure. A risky philosophy.

-The coach's stubborness: refusal to include Andy Reid over the likes of Liam Miller (:rolleyes:). Players like Lee Carsley and Rory Delap could potentially add something to the team. It seems that once Trap has made his mind up about a player, the case is closed.

mike65 wrote: »
    yeah you would imagine after 40 years someone would have outed him as a fraud, fair fcukin play Mike :rolleyes:

The truth is always somewhere in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The team Kerr's best team was

S.Given (Newcastle)
    S.Carr (Newcastle)
    J.OShea (Man Utd)
    K.Cunningham (Birmingham)
    R.Dunne (Man City)
    R.Keane (Man Utd)
    S.Finnan (Liverpool)
    K.Kilbane (Everton)
    R.Keane (Tottenham)
    C.Morrison (Birmingham)
    D.Duff (Chelsea)

Not to mention Andy Reid, Stephan Reid, Kevin Doyle, Matty Holland, Aiden McGeady, Liam Miller (playing club football at the time). Furthermore, experienced lads like Andy O Brien, Paddy Kenny, Graham Kavanagh, David Connolly etc were also available.

Since then, the so called "developing players" such as Ireland, Joey O Brien etc have never been integrated into the team, and the likes of Stephan Kelly, Paul McShane and Jonathan Douglas have given us nothing.

Injuries have forced us to resort to a midfield who are out of their club teams, were playing lower league football two years ago. Good players have been frozen out, while injuries have deprived us of Finnan, and Stephan Reid.

What Trappatoni has done with the tools available to him is superb.

Het-Field wrote: »
    The team Kerr's best team was

S.Given (Newcastle)
    S.Carr (Newcastle)
    J.OShea (Man Utd)
    K.Cunningham (Birmingham)
    R.Dunne (Man City)
    R.Keane (Man Utd)
    S.Finnan (Liverpool)
    K.Kilbane (Everton)
    R.Keane (Tottenham)
    C.Morrison (Birmingham)
    D.Duff (Chelsea)

Not to mention Andy Reid, Stephan Reid, Kevin Doyle, Matty Holland, Aiden McGeady, Liam Miller (playing club football at the time). Furthermore, experienced lads like Andy O Brien, Paddy Kenny, Graham Kavanagh, David Connolly etc were also available.

Since then, the so called "developing players" such as Ireland, Joey O Brien etc have never been integrated into the team, and the likes of Stephan Kelly, Paul McShane and Jonathan Douglas have given us nothing.

Injuries have forced us to resort to a midfield who are out of their club teams, were playing lower league football two years ago. Good players have been frozen out, while injuries have deprived us of Finnan, and Stephan Reid.

What Trappatoni has done with the tools available to him is superb.

It was a massive leap of faith on Trap's part to go for Whelan and Gibson considering they weren't playing regularly just over a year ago. There were other option available to him, he could just have easily of taken a chance Carsley, Andy Reid or Fahey.

I am obviously much happier with our choice of central midfielders now than I was a year ago though - I just wish they had slightly different characteristics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I voted 3 on the basis he hasn't bothered his hole to become fluent in english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I voted 3 on the basis he hasn't bothered his hole to become fluent in english.

You know that he hasn't bothered based on what excatly? Or were you just expecting him to become ''fluent'' overnight?

• Advertisement
Advertisement