Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router with UPC

• 13-10-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

am moving house and will need to get NTL/UPC in, for basic tv and 3meg broadband its gonna be 42quid a month with is fine, but its a one off fee of 50quid for a router!!

now i will need the router but am wondering if you can get the cable routers anywhere cheaper than that? or would the setup guys throw ya one in for free or a few quid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It uses the cable connection

CiscoEPC2425back.png

The 2 on the far right...one in and one out to your upc box (You might already know this)
    I've haven't seen another 3rd party one like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

upc site says they provide you with the Netgear WGR614!!

pixmania has it for 40quid but 12 delivery, so i might be better off just paying them the 50 n letting them set it all up!!

UPC are now using the Cisco Modem/Router combo as shown in the 1st reply(Wifi antenna is missing from that pic tho). At least for the 10mb and 20mb packs.

Your could ask if its the case for the 3mb package, as thats the one you have to pay E50 im unsure if they will give you the old modem & netgear router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'm on UPC recently and a Cisco router was used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

tell them you don't want a router off them, you have no interest in wireless etc. and you just want a basic modem and see what they say.

they might supply you with the old scientific atlanta modem (if you're lucky) which is just a basic modem with a single ethernet port.

then you can just buy your own router and make sure you get something decent instead of the cisco one they supply which isn't very popular around these parts for various reasons which you can read about if you care to search. :)

personally, i'd recommend something that can take a decent 3rd party firmware so you can use it to monitor your bandwidth usage and take advantage of all the other fancy features of firmwares like ddwrt or tomato, but it's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

thanks for all the info guys!!

didnt know that they're after changing to a cisco router, have never used one before so might just go with the non wireless offer and then buy my own netgear router which are very handy to configure, i assume the installer will just leave all the router login details/encap settings?

ah god im lazy i bet i'll end up lumping out the 50quid for less hassle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What modem and router pairing they give you seems to depend on what package you sign up for. I got UPC, broadband only, and it's a Netgear router that they supplied (free, as I got 20Mbps). The cable modem is Cisco, and it has no routing features.

If you sign up for broadband and phone, it seems to be the combined modem/router/ATA from Cisco that is used. This seems to be a terrible router, so I'd try and avoid that.

If you don't get any router, you'll have a modem only, and they won't supply any login information, as you don't need it. You can add your own router to that modem, and use your own settings as needed. The router should be set to get WAN side information automatically.

A Lynksys WRT54G seems to be the popular router of choice. Shouldn't cost much more than 50 or 60 euro.

Advertisement