Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flue with bends

• 13-10-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

i am looking at using a stove in my new build, i dont want the
    chimney breast inside the house at the second floor as it will
    take up space in the bedroom. i want to use a flue system that
    i can change direction so that i can bring the flue up in the corner
    of the bedroom closed in.
    can anyone tell me if this can be done? sketch attached.
    all info much appreciated.

cheers
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not the way you are drawing it! You can use 45º bends but 90º are not possible with lengths like that.
    I would not enclose the flue like that in the floor either, thats a fire risk if ever I saw one!
    What would happen if there was a chimney fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

thanks for the feed back. i know what you mean.
    maybe the sketch attached would be a better solution?

i am looking at getting a stove insert, any idea if it is possible?
    cheers
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Thats much better but the flue can't be more than more than 37.5 degrees off the vertical.
    See page 7 of TGD J: here

Also note the minimum heights off the ridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yes that sketch is better but you are better to have the black flue finishing before the entrance to the first floor, I have this setup black enamel flue to the first floor then it sleeves into the twinwall stainless flue and carries on up to the 2nd floor and through the roof.
    This way there is no contact with any uninsulated flue.
    There is a special floor plate that is made of galv steel with ventilation slots punched into it, this allows the heat to dissipate from the first floor void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

rodred wrote: »
    thanks for the feed back. i know what you mean.
    maybe the sketch attached would be a better solution?

i am looking at getting a stove insert, any idea if it is possible?
    cheers
    Rob

Rodred,
    You could consider putting the stove in the corner of the room possibly? We've a fireplace in the corner of the sitting room in our new build, it's a lovely feature, room is quite distinct now. Our's is a 4.5 x 4.5 room with a 2m wall in corner with fireplace going on that wall if you get me.. If the room is that size or bigger, you'd get away with it. If the room is too small, it wouldn't work. you'd have the flue running straight up then... just an option..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

What about placing insulated flue on external face if aesthetics allow it?

I will be doing so in a few months on my own build to facilitate stove in sitting room.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/external-insulated-flue-system.html
    "Some chimney installations require that the double insulated flue pipe goes through an external wall and then runs up the outside of your house. External flue systems are invariably more expensive than internal systems as they always have at least one 45 degree bend and one 135 degree T, and usually another two bends to avoid overhangs. External insulated flue systems are also a little more difficult to install and result in a colder chimney than a full internal system."

Edit: Just noticed this on flue pipe page. Send them your drg & they'll design it for free!
    "Selkirk twin wall flue is the only flue system that has got around the problem of ventilated floor penetration components. Ventilated floor penentration components can allow the transmission of smoke into the room above. We see this as a big problem as most deaths in a house fire are caused by smoke inhalation. A new innovative ventilation system that has been fully tested and approved to EN1856 and allows the use of non ventilated floor penetration components when using Selkirk STC twin wall flue run through a bedroom or other storage space. No other type of twin wall flue in the UK allows this. Click here for a broader discussion of the topic.

Selkirk flue may pass within 50mm of combustible materials making it very easy to install in existing houses. A full range of support components, bends and tees are also available.

Given a few details we will design your Selkirk flue system for free - visit our Flue design page for more details."

Another site for components
    http://www.naturalheating.co.uk/flue-pipes-liners-c-4.html?1=2&4=&5=&6=

It is obviously dearer for components as its insulated. If done correctly its a nice feature in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

thanks for the feed back everyone, a corner stove would be nice, but the better half has her heart set on a traditional surround.
    we cant go through the wall as the gable end, is the new boundry between the existing house.

it looks like it is doable with a 37.5 degree. cheers for the info.
    any other ideas greatly appreciated

Advertisement