Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might have to put my dog to sleep

Options
  • 13-10-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi,
    My dog is very old, at least 17 years. He has cataracts, arthritis (doesn't bother him as he is on medication) and pancreatitis.

Obviously being blind and less mobile than in his younger days we keep him in routine so he won't make a mess in the house.

My parents went away for a while and he was sick during this time (vomiting every morning due to a reaction to his medication). He has now recovered from this and my parents are back. The problem is he keeps going to the toilet in the house. He does it most mornings and often falls into it (which means he needs a bath and he really hates it).

My family think that we should put him down as he is no longer able to control himself. I feel that he is just out of routine from my parents going away. The vet says that he might be in discomfort so we are upping his pain meds for a trial period. If he doesn't improve the I guess its curtains.

Otherwise he is a happy dog, loves his food and cuddles, but quite docile. I think he has a very diminished but still good quality of life.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Kevo wrote: »
    The vet says that he might be in discomfort

In these terrible situations, no advice or comforting will make it any easier. The above quote would be the deciding factor for me (and has been in the past), I will not stand for my loved ones to be in any pain etc. but if you feel he (and your vet) is dealing with this well then it may not be a factor at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

we have a 15 year old Cairn whom regularly goes to the toilet in the house as we are out at work, she also does it in the evenings when we are home, luckily we have tiled floor - it's mainly number 1's but sometimes no 2's, anyhew what we found that worked was the Hills pescription food, she's on K/D as she has kidney problem, costs a bomb, but can get it shipped over from UK websites cheaper than the vets - the K/D is specific for kidney problems, there are others - would it be worth trying them? saying that if he is in discomfort/pain maybe it's just his time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Paul91 wrote: »
    we have a 15 year old Cairn whom regularly goes to the toilet in the house as we are out at work, she also does it in the evenings when we are home, luckily we have tiled floor - it's mainly number 1's but sometimes no 2's, anyhew what we found that worked was the Hills pescription food, she's on K/D as she has kidney problem, costs a bomb, but can get it shipped over from UK websites cheaper than the vets - the K/D is specific for kidney problems, there are others - would it be worth trying them? saying that if he is in discomfort/pain maybe it's just his time

What does K/D stand for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

The hardest thing I have done.It was time. My first Rottie had the big C,He got through the first biut and we had 8/9 months before it came back.As your decission is difficult at this time there comes a point were it has to be done.What has the vet said?I spoiled my fella mad coming up to the day.He could hardly walk but I got him to the beach were he used to love.All his favourite foods .(He couldnt keep them down) His toys.Spot in The front room etc etc .I stayed on the couch that night with him .First thing the next morning I brought him to the Vets and They were ready for us.I carried him from the car and put my dog(DENIS) ON THE TABLE AND KISSED HIM.
    It had to be done.It is hard my friend.Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

BVB wrote: »
    What does K/D stand for ?

Kidney Diet i believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

if he is in pain maybe yes its time. If he is not, and he is just going to the toilet in the house i would def say no. After 17 yrs as a faithful pet and friend surely he deserves more than this. Ok it might be a pain to have to clean up after him but so what.

at the end of the day the only people who can decide whats best is ur parents and u as u know him better than anyone. Best wishes with what u decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I had a big decision to make in May 2008. My Irish Terrier, Mick was 13 and he deteriorated rapidly from March that year. I knew the fateful day was coming. He too was doing poos in the house and his own bed as well. He was just lying around the kitchen asleep most of the time. Then on the May Bank Holiday Monday morning I found him lying out the back garden, still alive but in a very distressed state. I put him in a blanket and carried him from the car to the vets. I had to wait for the vet to arrive, the dog's eyes were open, he was scared. The time in the Vet's waiting room gave us a chance to say goodbye, I'll always remember his eyes shutting slowly as his life drifted away after the Vet administered the jab. I tried to be brave but I just filled up and the Vet pushed a box of Kleenex under my nose. I was in bits fixing up at reception. A sad few days followed and only now have we got a new dog.

I found some pictures of Mick recently and they were taken in late April that year, looking at them, I wish I had done the deed sooner than I did, he could have gone with some dignity, but I couldn't bring myself to bring him to the Vet until I had to.

So unfortunately it's your move, I think the decision is half made for you. You have my utmost sympathy as it's one of the hardest things to do, but you've been lucky to have him for 17 years. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Kevo give him his dignity back. Don't let him struggle to his death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

If it was my decision I'd have him put to sleep. I know it's hard but let him go while he's happy - not in pain and distress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

if he is in pain maybe yes its time. If he is not, and he is just going to the toilet in the house i would def say no. After 17 yrs as a faithful pet and friend surely he deserves more than this. Ok it might be a pain to have to clean up after him but so what.

at the end of the day the only people who can decide whats best is ur parents and u as u know him better than anyone. Best wishes with what u decide.

This is pretty much nail on the head post - only you guys can decide/see if his quality of life is still good, is he still enjoying life? Is he in minimum pain? If these are yes then he's good for another while. If it's no, then... you need think about what's best for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

From outside looking in with no emotional attachment, from what you have said, its time. 17 is a great age for a dog, he's done well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Better a week too early than a day too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

I know exactly what you are going through op.

I had to have my little guy put to sleep last week. He was 14 and one of my best friends.

Like your guy, he had arthritis and had become very docile. He was on medication for the last 2 / 3 years of his life but was always in great form. Everyone had been telling me how he was getting old and how his time was getting closer but to me he was the same puppy who played with me when I was a kid. So what if he slept most of the day and pee’d in the house the odd time, he was still my best buddy.

I came home last Thursday after work and he was very poorly. He was having trouble standing and had pee’d himself. I rushed straight to the vets and within 2 or 3 minutes she was hinting that it would be in his best interests to put him to sleep. The conversation was a blur, I just broke down in tears. She told me to go home and discuss things with the family.

She rang me 2 hours later to say his condition had stabilised but that it
    would be hard for him to recover to have a good standard of life. His liver and kidneys were failing and it was going to be a matter of when, not if.

It was the single hardest decision I have ever made. I went back down with my g/f and we were with him when they gave him the shot.

The vet told us it was a brave decision and the right thing to do for him. She said too many owners hold on too long for their own sake, they want to hold off doing the inevitable because they don’t want the pain.

Only you can decide what’s best for your little guy but as doctor evil just said,
    Better a week too early than a day too late.
    Have a chat with your vet and ask them what’s their professional opinion. Obviously the choice will be yours but they know what they are doing and will only have the doggies best interests in mind.

I would give anything to have my little guy back.

I might be hurting now, but at least I’m hurting so that he won’t have to anymore.

Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This it the most difficult thread to read. OP you are very brave for considering it. Your vet might be the best to advise, but really it's down to your family. They know the dog best.

This thread has nearly made me regret getting a dog at the thought of having to go through that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Good news. He is back on his medication and is doing great. Hasn't made a mess since and seems to be back to his happy self.

The vet has recommended a two week trial to see if he gets better. He seems to be back to normal on day 1 so I hope it lasts.

Thats certainly the way I see it. My parents are sick and tired of cleaning up after him but we have come to and agreement that I will be doing this from now on and I'll also be making sure he is getting his meds. They of course love him too but he has been a hand full for my dad pretty much all his life.

People who haven't met him often think we should have put him down years ago but he is actually quite happy and while his senses are beginning to fail him he is still all there in the mind.

I will of course have him put down if he is in pain and no longer enjoying life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm delighted he seems to be doing a bit better Kevo, it must be so difficult to watch a beloved pet in pain. I am actually crying reading this thread and think I have to go home and hug my dog now!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

So glad to hear he's doing well now. I know there might come a time when I, too, will have to consider the same for my own dog. Thankfully, she's happy, healthy and full of life and still only eight years old, so I'm hoping it's a long time away.

I'm sure these last few days have been awful for you and your folks but let's hope the little fella keeps doing well.

Off to hug my dog now :)

Advertisement