Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST TO BLOCK UP DOUBLE DOORS?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

We have just bought a house and want to block up the double doors between our sitting room and dining room, Has anybody had this done and roughly how much should i expect to pay? I would be greatfull for any replies :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is it a partition wall or a block wall? the price will vary depending on which it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ado29

partician wall, we havent moved in yet but its one of th first things i'd like to get done so we want to know roughly what to budget for

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Did it myself a few months back, If you are any good at DIY its an easy job to do yer self..

depending on the ope size...

You'll need about 4 lengths of 4"X2" and about 3 8'X4' 1/2 slabs...

Jointing Tape, filler and finisher, etc. Skirting to match existing...

Roughly 150-200 for materials..

Remove doors & Frame, if fitted, make and fit studding, fit the plaster boards white side out.

And Use the tape and fillers for joints, you can get a nice finish, once its painted...

If the doors are any good, you may be able to sell them, and off set some of the cost...
    best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Did it myself a few months back, If you are any good at DIY its an easy job to do yer self..

depending on the ope size...

You'll need about 4 lengths of 4"X2" and about 3 8'X4' 1/2 slabs...

Jointing Tape, filler and finisher, etc. Skirting to match existing...

Roughly 150-200 for materials..

Remove doors & Frame, if fitted, make and fit studding, fit the plaster boards white side out.

And Use the tape and fillers for joints, you can get a nice finish, once its painted...

If the doors are any good, you may be able to sell them, and off set some of the cost...
    best of luck....

Yeh did this myself a year ago when we moved into the new house. I changed double doors into a single door. Our walls were 4" blockwork, so i used 3x2" timber to make up a stud partition, bolted it to the floor and existing block wall, and used 1/2" plasterboard, with a 3mm skim coat, and it all worked out perfect. Use plenty of joint tape to avoid cracking, and no harm to leave the stud do all its shrinkage/expanding etc with the heating on for a week or two before you skim, not essential but my personal preference.
    Ive attached some photos for you.
    Good luck

4013611295_aa69b684a3_b.jpg

4013611601_0eb295fbeb_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Neat job there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ado29

thanks for that :) we thought it would be alot more complicated then, i imagine himself and one of his friends should be able to conquer it, your pictures look well, you done a fab job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭skippy15

Would you not think about leaving them for a few weeks until your settled in see how u feel then?just keep them shut in meantime. Too many people rush these things before move in and turns out may regret it down the line-

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Thanks for the replies,

The finished job looks even better, with the walls painted, and skirtings/architraving up etc.

It was the best thing we ever did, we hated the double doors when we bought the house, and it was the first thing we changed.
    Ive never seen a house since that had double glass doors from the hall into the sitting room, madness from the Architect, (i wont name names!!)

Trick to all these things, is take your time, and dont rush it. If you feel your in over your head, you could try getting a plasterer, who could make the stud, and do the slab and skimming aswel for you, theres' loads of them out there looking for work, so you can really get a good bargain.

The reason i love DIY is that i think sometimes i do a better job than a tradesman, simply because its my house, and I have to live with the finished project, (so does my wife) whereas tradesmen can walk away from a shoddy job, and not care, sometimes your better off doing things yourself.

Good luck ahain with it, post some pics of the finished job when your done

Advertisement