Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo County Council don't do emergencies

Options
  • 13-10-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Don't have a water supply problem outside office hours in Sligo!

On Sunday the houses on my road were without water to drink or wash or flush the toilets. My neighbour who has three small children – imagine the demand in that household – was eventually told by the waterworks caretaker that we would be without a supply until noon on Monday. Sligo County Council, he informed, her, will not pay overtime so no-one would move a muscle until the following morning.

The supply was not actually restored until 4pm yesterday.

Compare this to Northern Ireland Water who promise "We aim to turn your water back on within 12 hours of knowing about the problem (for example, a burst water main). " This is standard for UK water companies.

And now Biffo and the Greens expect us to pay a water tax!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Essexboy wrote: »

On Sunday the houses on my road were without water to drink or wash or flush the toilets. My neighbour who has three small children – imagine the demand in that household – was eventually told by the waterworks caretaker that we would be without a supply until noon on Monday. Sligo County Council, he informed, her, will not pay overtime so no-one would move a muscle until the following morning.

Compare this to Northern Ireland Water who promise "We aim to turn your water back on within 12 hours of knowing about the problem (for example, a burst water main). " This is standard for UK water companies.

And you're surprised because?

Sounds familiar from this government if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Theres no real norm about the being accountable to the general public. Its a very 9-5pm culture even down to crisis psychiatric services etc. And no real culture of complaining. Customer charters are only coming in now and I reckon they are there more to be seen to be doin, more cosmetic than anything else. :(
    Theres no real sense in being accountable on a political level either so I guess its leading way from the top-down. Perhaps because of the waste that has been noted and the recession people will become better at questioning what their taxes go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sligo County Council don't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Sligo County Council don't do.

?? What do you mean, they do loads haven't you seen the lovely new logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Clearly the water services are under-resourced. They should do something about it, maybe introduce a water tax, or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

strongr wrote: »
    ?? What do you mean, they do loads haven't you seen the lovely new logo?

No - is it perhaps, a picture of someone leaning against their shovel, or a councellor with a pile of brown envelopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

As a postscript to this thread

"THE GOVERNMENT spent almost €1.15 billion on water services and the rural water programme between 2002 and 2007 but gained few improvements, an Oireachtas committee heard yesterday."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1016/1224256787654.html

I am tempted to ask did all the money go down the drain?!

Advertisement