Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with course

Options
  • 13-10-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I started my course about a month ago, and the course content has changed quite a bit from what was advertised. They’ve dropped one of the main courses, which was the research methods part, and the core course has shifted it’s focus a bit from the stuff I was interested in to stuff I’m only vaguely kind of interested in. One of the main selling points for me was the research module, it was practical and I knew it would be handy to have on my cv, and now I only have a core course thats only vaguely interesting.

I don’t mind it in general, but I can’t get rid of the nagging feeling that if I really wanted to read this stuff I could do it in my spare time. I’m worried I’m going to come out of this with an MA that is, in terms of employment, fairly useless. So I’m not sure what to do. I’m doing it in the UK, and I’m part self funding and part relying on a loan from a bank. I’m worried I’m going to come out of this with a qualification which isn’t the least bit employable in any area I’m interested in (which was the whole point of doing it really).

So I’m trying to figure out what my options are. I can decide not to do the thesis, finish in April and have a Postgraduate Diploma. I think that’s level 8 in Ireland, which is the same as a masters, so I don’t think there is any chance of me getting a maintenance grant if I apply to do an MA in Ireland next year, right? I could also drop out, and apply to do a course in Ireland, but I think I’d have to wait five years before I could apply for the grant, right?

Basically, I know of a course in Dublin that has the whole research side of things that I want/need to do, and I’d apply for it if I thought I could cover the costs, but with the loan hanging over my head and the employment situation as it is in Ireland, I’m not sure how I’d be able to pay for it all without the grant. So yeah, any advice would be great! Should I just continue with the masters, or if I dropped out/finished with just a PGDIP, is there any way for me to get the grant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Sorry to hear things aren't going the best for you! Deciding to do a postgrad course is such a big commitment, it's a pity when it doesn't work out.

Was the research methods module specific to your subject area? I know the research methods part of my course is probably the least interesting and is stuff that I could figure out by just reading about it it. I actually consider it the least productive aspect of the course! So maybe it's not such a bad thing that it's been dropped. Although I'd be very surprised if you didn't have at least a couple of lectures on it, considering you have to write a thesis.

A H Dip/ Postgrad Dip are on the same level as an honours undergrad degree (level 8). So in regards to grants, I don't know how it works if you're thinking of doing another level 8 instead of getting a masters (level 9).

Maybe it's worth sticking with it? Once you get to your thesis it can take whatever direction you want it to. I hope things improve for you!:)

Advertisement