Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Officail Complaint re: Moderator TBH

Options
  • 13-10-2009 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I would like to make an official complaint about this moderator. I got banned earlier for three days and i did not contravene house rules having reread the terms and conditoins. Then when a later poster highlighted that this was an abuse of power he banned that other poster for three days. This is an abuse of power and brings this whole website into disripute. It undermines everything this website stands for and is similar to the chinese governments moderation of their citizens rights. I will be mentioning this to everybody i know and having been on and enjoyed this website for over a year i am absolutely disgusted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OP:

these boards are full of offensive stuff about all people so why the sudden turnaround on what people say about Gerry Ryan. What ever happened to free speech. The worst part is that when people on here criticise his weight, his habits, his offensive attitude, they are just stating the facts but now that doesn't seem to be allowed. Stick up for yourself boards.ie, he’s on the radio criticisng you guys.

Me:

There is no freedom of speech on boards. This forum is the radio forum. Physical appearance has no relevance on presenting skills.
    You either accept this, and post within the rules, or you get removed from the forum - it's all the same to me.

This thread is about the Gerry Ryan Show, subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted, and the poster banned or infracted

OP:
    i will post within the rules and i believe my last post was within the rules, albeit it just about. You never now, his physical appearance may affect his broadcasting skills though, dropping food on the equipment, his belly accidently hitting off the wrong buttons and i will say you can tell from his voice the state of his physical self and to me his voice on the radio is repulsive. Nonetheless i will post within the rules

Me:
    of course you will. If you don't, you'll be gone. It's not like you have a choice here. Any further comments about moderation should go to feedback or helpdesk.

This thread is about the Gerry Ryan Show, subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted, and the poster banned or infracted.

OP:
    of course i have a choice, what are you on about. I could go on a big rant right now, say what everybody would like to hear about gerry ryan and how poor his show is and you would then ban me, but i would have made my choice. You're not some sort of cyber dictator, if you want that sort of power move to china mate

me:
    banned for three days.

OP then reregged as "celticpussycat" and posted the following:

To TBH

How can i make an official complaint to boards about you. You ban Testicle because he thinks you are abusing your power as moderator for banning somebody else. This is ridiculous. As a moderator you are completely out of line and it is bringing this entire forum and thread into disripute. And if you ban me, believe me i will be back, i've got alot of email adresses and it will just empower me and prove to any decent person reading these threads what a ridiculous moderator you are.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by celticpussycat
    TBh

just because you are some loser computer guru, oh you have two accounts look at me i foud out. Wow oh wow. You think you can permantly ban me. Go fook yourself. You can't pemantly ban me you nob, i could be in spain next week on a different account, who knows. All that is been proven is you are abusing your power as moderator. don't let it get to your head, you are only a moderator on boards.ie. It must make you feel cool, like it must help in gettin laid, when was teh last time you go laid, let me guess never. Fookin loser

both accounts now permanently banned from radio and I've asked for sitebans for both as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

There is nothing that i said in the first posts that could mean i deserved to get banned, absolutley nothing and i have reread the terms and condtions. You simply abused your power as moderator.

I then followed the debate and when i saw that somebody else had highlighted you had abused your power and you banned them also it enraged me to set up another account and beging posting again.

It ends up you were in fact wrong and all you did was ban three accounts, two people so you could get your point across. As i said you cant ban be permanantly.

Can you explain how you are allowed to ban people who disagree with you and haven't contravened house rules

excuse me, what about my subsequent reply to TBHs post. I am open to debate this openly but my posts don't go up when i have posted them and he can put up and edit what he wants so it can appear how he wants. As i said he banned somebody for three days as they had said he abused his power on the radio thread, which he had. Does he not get some sort of slap on the wrists also, maybe loose one of those little stars he has, maybe looses some of his editing and banning privelages. What a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Posts here require approval.

Frankly, I don't think you've got much of a leg to stand on. Your attitude isn't winning m over either.

• Advertisement

I can understand that i am probably banned from the site indefinately but as i said i have always enjoyed this site immensly and posted generally good advice to people, particularly on the surf forum.
    I think my attitude, which has been highlighted by TBH when i reregged was out of line but only after i had been told i was going to be banned for good so i lost the head a bit, but having been on this site for over a year, i became enraged by TBHs attitude.
    Firstly he banned me, for what i can't see contravened house rules but i had accepted my ban and simply watched the debate on the thread develop, was accepting my general punishment and enjoying the debate.

However, once he banned another poster who suggested he had abused his power, i think that is what set me off.
    I understand that you need moderators, especially on the more sensitive threads but TBH was involved in a debate and simply used his power as moderator.
    He banned another poster becasue he had highlighted that he believed my original ban was an abuse of power and for me i find this slightly out of line.
    If you are going to ban me indefinately, well i am dissapointed but more in myself but my last pennysworth would be that i would hope you moderate your moderators.
    I believe that they can get a bit trigger happy with the banning and use it for their own agenda. Thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OP
    I have edited your above post so I could read it.
    For your own sake, please use paragraphs and separate your sentences.
    It makes for a much easier read.

Reading forum Charters and getting a feel for a particular forum will always help.
    This is a privately owned site and we try to make an effort and be respectful to others when posting.

"This thread is about the Gerry Ryan Show, subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted, and the poster banned or infracted."

Your next post was nothing to do with the Gerry Ryan show, it was to do with my moderation, therefore, you got banned. Same reason as testicle, same duration - 3 days.

I upgraded your ban to permanent because of the abuse you gave me when you re-regged.

I think that covers everything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tbh wrote: »

I think that covers everything.

If he reregged to give you abuse, then yes, you've more than covered it.

As is said i will accept your verdict and if it is a ban as it seems, then so be it, much to my dissapointment.

Before you stop me from posting all together, just can we clear up one or two things. Firstly, i wasn't aware i could be banned by a moderator for questioning his decision, its a bit authoritarian isn't it. But fine, i understand it is your private site and your decision. Secondly, the subsequent person TBH banned was openly in debate with him, and TBH was not so much moderating the thread as openly being involved in it, and then banning another user. Again this user was not offensive but simply questioned the moderators abuse of power. Obviously as happened with myself, this is not allowed.

My main issue though, and i will explain it now is the twisting of truth or pretty much lieing by TBH in the above post. He has said i reregged to abuse him. That couldn't be further from the truth. After i saw him ban another user, i felt quite annoyed that moderators could dictate threads, and reregged to continue on the debate. He was aware of this after i had made a couple of posts and said that i would be banned for good. It was only then that i became offensive, and i admit i was out of line and apologise.

I do expect you to ban me for good,and respect your decision but i wish that the facts are presented before this happens, not lies. As i mentioned, i never reregged to abuse him, it was only once he had said i was going to permananlty banned that i became abusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Only your second account has been banned from the site.

You can try and dress up why you did what you did as some kind of noble act. It doesn't wash however. If you had a problem with the original desicion, and couldn't resolve it by PM with the moderator, then you should have came here and followed the right process. You didn't do that - and broke some basic rules of the site in the process. That's why you've lost access to the Radio forum, and it's a perfectly legitimate response in light of the circumstances.

You're calling me a liar.

My first post in this thread simply listed the posts made , in the order they were made. I've provided links so any interested third party can see them for themselves.

My second post clarified my actions, which again can be seen on the orginal thread.

I didn't say you re-regged to abuse me, did I?

I said you abused me after you re-regged, by way of explanation of your permanent ban.

If you've made a genuine mistake when you called me a liar, I'd expect you'd have the decency to apologize.

Other that that, we're done.

Sorry i apologise for calling you a liar, mistake on my part so sincere apologies there.

It was Berthriel who stated that if i reregged to give you abuse then we have covered everything but i never reregged to give you abuse, thats the honest truth.

no problem.

Advertisement