Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good camera phone that's not touch screen

• 13-10-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for a phone not for myself but for my girlfriend.

Ok so the most important features it has to have are:
    1)Great Camera .... 5MP or above preferably Carl Zeiss optics and xenon flash
    2)Wifi
    3)GPS
    4) Stereo Bluetooth
    5)3G

Form Factor ANYTHING but a touchscreen

Looking for a sim free phone I know the prices are high .

She has the N82 which is a great phone but she's looking for something a bit slimmer.
    Thanks
    Pyro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i would recommend the nokia 6620classic but it dosent have wifi

so if you do want wifi i'd say the E51 (nokia)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

N95 has all of it, but only 3.2mpix cam. It is carl zeiss flash though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i would recommend the nokia 6620classic but it dosent have wifi

so if you do want wifi i'd say the E51 (nokia)

hey thanks for the suggestion I have the E51 myself and it's a great phone hope to get the E52 when it's a wee bit more stable. But the camera in the phone isn't up to the standard of the N82 but it is a hell of alot slimmer.
    flodis79 wrote: »

I'm afraid that's just too chunky :p

Thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

flodis79 wrote: »
    N95 is a 5mp cam

What about the Nokia N86.Wi-Fi, GPS and an 8mp camera

Looks like a great phone thanks for the suggestion. Anymore phones out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sony Ericsson C905?

I'd take the N86 over it any day though. The camera and video is fantastic on it.

Thanks for that Sony Ericsson C905 looks nice and it looks thinner in size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

the nokia n79 has everything youve listed and is slim, can be got off ebay for about €200. I had the n82 myself and found the keypad fairly anoying, but the n79 has a nicer keypad and looks nicer imo and has similiar specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

If you really want a good non-touch cam-phone, find this one cheap on ebay... 3xoptical zoom, 5mp. A mate bought one 'as new' for 70 bucks http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/10/22/samsung-sgh-g800-5-megapixel-3x-optical-zoom-phone-officially-launched/

strecker wrote: »
    If you really want a good non-touch cam-phone, find this one cheap on ebay... 3xoptical zoom, 5mp. A mate bought one 'as new' for 70 bucks http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/10/22/samsung-sgh-g800-5-megapixel-3x-optical-zoom-phone-officially-launched/

Thanks looks like a great phone but I need one with wifi too couldn't live without it. Would have never thought of samsung so thanks for the post anyway

• Advertisement

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_sch_w880_amoled_12m-review-398.php

This baby will be hitting out shores next year and looks like it'll shake up the competition quite a bit, keep it in mind.

EDIT: Doh, just remembered you don't want touch screen. Disregard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

can vouch for the n86 - its a great phone and great features, especially when the iminent firmware upgrade is released to update the camera software and iron out a few wee bugs (although mine runs quite smoothly!)

However, although size wise it feels fine to hold (and dimensions are all within 1-2mm of the n82), it is a bit heavier than the n82 - 149grams vs n82s 114

but no other complaints!

edit - not sure who carries it in IRE - got mine sim free from uk for around 350

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just dont try get over 6 or 7 mp... will result in cackier images... sony seem to be the better brands re image quality. carl zeiss is a gimmick tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Thanks for that Sony Ericsson C905 looks nice and it looks thinner in size

This model of phone has some shocking design defects and the failure rate on them is VERY high.

The camera is rubbish. Photos taken with it look ok at normal resolution but any zooming in will show terrible jpeg compression artifacts and other nasties.

It is a shame, because all the elements are there for what could have been a great phone but Sony messed up.

I owned one for a couple of weeks and then sold it rapidly while it was still in perfect nick. I bought a Samsung S8000 Jet which has a fantastic 5 MP camera that produces better photos than the 8MP camera in the C905 and takes really high quality video as well.

I would highly recommend the Jet, but it is a touch screen.

This is probably going to be the Daddy of camera phones, though phone Camera might be more accurate - again it is no good as it is touch screen and is also unavailable at the moment: http://www.samsunghub.com/2009/09/28/sch-w880-phone-is-more-than-12mp-and-optical-zoom/

carl zeiss is a gimmick tbh.

Really ? but it works so well on the N82 is there anything I should look for in a lens then?
    cnocbui wrote: »
    This model of phone has some shocking design defects and the failure rate on them is VERY high.

The camera is rubbish. Photos taken with it look ok at normal resolution but any zooming in will show terrible jpeg compression artifacts and other nasties.

I would highly recommend the Jet, but it is a touch screen.

Thanks for the heads up on the sony :D

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Really ? but it works so well on the N82 is there anything I should look for in a lens then?

It's true. You could put crystals or Canon L series lenses into a camera phone and you wouldn't notice any difference. The aperture and sensors are just too small. Tbh anything above 5MPs will be a decent phone camera. You'll have to wait a while before they really start competing with digicams (larger apertures/lenses/optical zoom etc.).

Advertisement