Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€ 1,000 Weanlings at Ennis today

• 13-10-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

I just came from Ennis Mart. I was passing so decided to stop in.
    I saw at least 12 BB weanlings all from one farmer making over the €1,000 mark. They were were from 370 to 410 Kgs and all 2009.

I saw very good charolais, light white in colour with good muscle only making around the €700 for similar weights and age.

What I can't understand is why more farmers aren't producing more of these. I know there are problems with calving, but surely with big hipped cows and feeding hay before calving these problems can be managed.

Am I missing something? Not for part time farmers like myself but surely for the full-time guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

pakalasa wrote: »
    I just came from Ennis Mart. I was passing so decided to stop in.
    I saw at least 12 BB weanlings all from one farmer making over the €1,000 mark. They were were from 370 to 410 Kgs and all 2009.

I saw very good charolais, light white in colour with good muscle only making around the €700 for similar weights and age.

What I can't understand is why more farmers aren't producing more of these. I know there are problems with calving, but surely with big hipped cows and feeding hay before calving these problems can be managed.

Am I missing something? Not for part time farmers like myself but surely for the full-time guys.

Doubt very much if any 410kg weanling is a genuine 2009 animal. Paper never refuses ink when submitting the calf reg form. Still great to see one guy producing so many good animals.
    Like yourself, I'm part time so wouldn't chance BB's.
    Still I think there is a bit of a pick up going on in weanling trade.
    Bringing a bundle of white charolais next week to Ennis myself. Would be well happy with 700, but doubt I can make it. All Feb / March out of CF52 bull.

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Doubt very much if any 410kg weanling is a genuine 2009 animal. Paper never refuses ink when submitting the calf reg form. Still great to see one guy producing so many good animals.
    Like yourself, I'm part time so wouldn't chance BB's.
    Still I think there is a bit of a pick up going on in weanling trade.
    Bringing a bundle of white charolais next week to Ennis myself. Would be well happy with 700, but doubt I can make it. All Feb / March out of CF52 bull.

R

Hi Rujib1,

Just wondering where you get your cf52 straws?? My AI man hasn't been able to get them for over 2 years as CF52 died in late 2006. I know a lot of people that want CF52 for pedigrees. We have a pedigree bull from him and he follows the CF52 tradition of easy calving but lots of muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

i gather from ur man's post! that its a CF52 bred bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

reilig wrote: »
    Hi Rujib1,

Just wondering where you get your cf52 straws?? My AI man hasn't been able to get them for over 2 years as CF52 died in late 2006. I know a lot of people that want CF52 for pedigrees. We have a pedigree bull from him and he follows the CF52 tradition of easy calving but lots of muscle.

Interessting question, they straws must be available as I recently purchased a cow in calf to cf52, she is sue soon, my first venture into that kinda thing. Was wondering what to do in relation to straws when she comes bulling again, lets say you want to put her in calf to 52 again or major or whatever, would you need to have the straw ordered and sent to your ai man or whats the norm here

Some farmers have built up there ai straws,over the years!so have them in storage--alot of pedigree breeders-hav a CF52 straw in storage i'd say!
    for either further use themselves!

I have done this with my angus herd--straws built up!from bulls--that have died years back..its common practise!

Was wondering what to do in relation to straws when she comes bulling again, lets say you want to put her in calf to 52 again or major or whatever, would you need to have the straw ordered and sent to your ai man or whats the norm here

Say be hard to get a CF52 straw,form ai stations-think there all gone..might get one privately--but then agains thats not allowed..you need a license to trade ai straws,or to store them!

depends on what bull you want!

i do use progressive genetics, i do ring them-and order certain straws(if they have them)they have them in storage,then or give them to my local AI man,he works for them!

so you can contact either the ai station directly--or find out you does ai'ing around your area-and contact them-see what charolais straws do they have,etc..

where ya at?
    can go online...check ai stations out--what bulls they have..
    www.progressivegenetics.ie
    www.dovea.ie
    www.eurogeneaiservices.com
    www.gouldinggenetics.com

just a few of them!
    hope it might help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

thanks,
    ya was just looking at dovea catalogue the other day and my own stock bull is out of goulding genetic bull pinay, better not get too far ahead of my self, hopefully she will calf ok first :)

true..get the calf out first! and hav her alright!
    ah-i think CF52 is easing calving--once you havn't overfed the cow!
    then get her cycling again..prob be near xmas b4 you ai her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Limkiln Bosco (KIB) the AI bull in NCBC is by CF52 also. He should do as a substitute for CF52. He is slightly harder calving at 13.8%, CF52 was 11.3%. Has anyone here used him?

Advertisement