Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halloween costumes

• 13-10-2009 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was going to start this thread asking if anyone had seen something in the shops I need as part of my Halloween costume, then I thought others might be in the same position...
    So, if you're looking for an item, as part of your costume, or information where to find bits and bobs to customise a Halloween costume... post here!

On that note, does anyone know anywhere that's still selling wet-look leggings? ... I know they're not really in fashion anymore so they're harder to find than I thought :(
    (I'm being cat-woman, so they'd be perfect!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

No Name on Henry st and the shops in the Ilac centre have them ( i think )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

does anyone know anywhere that's still selling wet-look leggings?

I'm *pretty* sure I saw these in New Look in Liffey Valley over the weekend. They definitely still have them on their website anyways

http://www.newlook.co.uk/navigation/Search.aspx?term=wet%20look%20leggings&language=en-GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

On that note, does anyone know anywhere that's still selling wet-look leggings? ... I know they're not really in fashion anymore so they're harder to find than I thought :(
    (I'm being cat-woman, so they'd be perfect!)

Was planning on going as a cat / catwoman myself.... what are you planning on wearing top wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Thanks very much :)
    I was hoping Penney's would have them; cheap and cheerful, as I only plan on wearing them for this one night! But no luck the other day!

Oh, and like I said, if anyone needs information on where to find certain things or help with Halloween costumes, post here too :)

Next, I have to find a black pvc-esque corset ... eep!

mandz wrote: »
    Was planning on going as a cat / catwoman myself.... what are you planning on wearing top wise?

I'm not that sure ...
    I tried on this black pvc corset thing in Ann Summers, for the laugh! But it's quite... raunchy! Although, a lot of people do go out in provocative clothing at Halloween! :p

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great! :D

• Advertisement

I'm not that sure ...
    I tried on this black pvc corset thing in Ann Summers, for the laugh! But it's quite... raunchy! Although, a lot of people do go out in provocative clothing at Halloween! :p

Just get a normal silk/satin corset (penny do them for about a tenner) and use black shiney tape to cover it. My mate is a burlesque performer and she ofter uses it to creat stripes etc on corsets.

giddybootz wrote: »
    Just get a normal silk/satin corset (penny do them for about a tenner) and use black shiney tape to cover it. My mate is a burlesque performer and she ofter uses it to creat stripes etc on corsets.

Oooh, excellent idea! Thanks so much for that! :)

I'll definitely try that! - It'll save me about 50 euro as well!

What are you dressing up as yourself? I always love hearing people's costume ideas, people get so creative :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Shinyboots

what about footwear???

Shinyboots wrote: »
    what about footwear???

Are you being catwoman too? Damn! :P

I'm just wearing knee-high black boots with my outfit ... once I have it!

Well I'm gonna be in the states on hols for halloween. I have already dressed up about 5 times this year (i go to a monthly costume party) so think I will just bring my zebra costume photo.php?pid=3722256&id=762884664 I made a few months ago. Was dressed up as Oogie Boogie on friday!! photo.php?pid=2321439&op=2&o=global&view=global&subj=762884664&id=586758690

Do ya think a zombie zebra would be over doing it?

• Advertisement

photo.php?pid=2321439&op=2&o=global&view=global&subj=762884664&id=586758690 zebra

photo.php?pid=3722256&id=762884664 is oogie boogie

oogie boogie.jpg
    zebra.jpg

Are you being catwoman too? Damn! :P

I'm just wearing knee-high black boots with my outfit ... once I have it!

Sounds good!!!!

Giddy, that zebra outfit is deadly!
    :D

Oh, and for anyone who was being catwoman: The 2 euro shop had cat ears and tails in a set last year for ... 2 euro! So, you could pick up some pieces there :)

Claire's accessories do some ear thingies as well!

By the time I had painted the dress and my face and my hair I swore I would never lift a paintbrush again!!!

Dunes have ears in too at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

me looking for...

baggy sky blue shirt.
    beige chinos.
    dube looking shoes.

all without costing the earth :pac:.

PS i'm not going as a D4 head as bad as it may look :P

Charity shops are your only man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mine is such a fashion disaster im probably better off not describing it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I'm going as yet another cat woman :)
    Any idea where one could get a black leotard - like those ballet ones ye wore when u were a kid?

me looking for...

baggy sky blue shirt.
    beige chinos.
    dube looking shoes.

all without costing the earth :pac:.

PS i'm not going as a D4 head as bad as it may look :P

I know what you're being :D

I'm pretty sure Dunnes have those ... boaty dube shoes! But don't spend a fortune! -Get a blue shirt somewhere for about a tenner, that's the only piece that's important, really!

Any key? wrote: »
    I'm going as yet another cat woman :)
    Any idea where one could get a black leotard - like those ballet ones ye wore when u were a kid?

American Apparel have allll that sort of stuff, it's a bit pricey though? About 30 euro plus...
    Only shop I can think of, off the top of my head that would stock things like that though!

• Advertisement

Thank you!
    It is a bit pricey might try pennys first and then try it out :)

Catwomen everywhere.Nerds will have a field day :pac:

Catwomen everywhere.Nerds will have a field day :pac:

I don't feel special anymore :(

Maybe I should just get some yellow face-paint and be a pikachu?

No.You can be corset catwoman :cool:
    And yellow face paint is a bollox

PIKA!!!

aw yeah thats how I felt when I entered this thread
    but at least u can get up to whatever u like and blame it on the other cat women ;)

Any key? wrote: »
    aw yeah thats how I felt when I entered this thread
    but at least u can get up to whatever u like and blame it on the other cat women ;)
    You make a good point.I wont have anyone to blame anything on :(

*starts catwoman shopping*
    Ive got the legs for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I was going to be catwoman cuz I did it last yr and it went down very very well... now i think ill change it or there'll be an army of us!
    pikachucheeks, if youre still looking for wet look leggings they have them in Bay (Clerys) for 17.50e. Just in case you (or any of the other catwomans) are stuck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Ohh Oogie Boogie is class!

I'm going as the creepy doll from the Jonathan Coulton song 'Creepy Doll'. (yes I am a sad nerd :P) I've got some bits from ebay to cover my eye so it looks like my eye is zippered shut. :) Need to pick up a suitable doll dress too, going to go for creepy rag-doll look. :)

Got the makeup/facial paint sorted, just need to get better at blanching out the sides of my lips to give a better doll mouth, but face paint doesn't look smooth enough :( Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hmm, I thought and tried to locate bits for a home made and not as short or booby this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/QuestionGuy2/She-Ra-Costume.jpg but will prob end up going as a real life this:http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/doll.jpg

From Hitchcock's movie 'The Birds'. Don't have much time or money for a great costume. Two years ago i went as Where's Wanda (Wally's girlfriend) and last year i just stuck on a wig so gotta make some effort this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm not that sure ...

The raunchiness can look good if it's done in a fun/festive way. I know the Ann Summers PVC one you're talking about (don't ask!) and it would look great for a Catwoman look. Catwoman is real sexy so you've got lots of freedom with that choice. Some painted on whiskers and cat ears and it'd look deadly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that the PVC is from Ann Summers, I got my costume there and it has a suspender belt and all but I wouldn't call it trashy because it's clear that I'm intentionally going for a certain image. (Rather than girls going out half clothed with devil horns and claiming it's a costume when really it's their ordinary club attire with plastic horns) So don't worry, if the PVC looks good with the leggings, go for it. There's loads you can do to jazz it up and make it look less raunchy and more like part of an intentional image.

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that the PVC is from Ann Summers, I got my costume there and it has a suspender belt and all but I wouldn't call it trashy because it's clear that I'm intentionally going for a certain image. (Rather than girls going out half clothed with devil horns and claiming it's a costume when really it's their ordinary club attire with plastic horns) So don't worry, if the PVC looks good with the leggings, go for it. There's loads you can do to jazz it up and make it look less raunchy and more like part of an intentional image.

It looked good on, but I suppose because of the nature of the shop, it's designed to be ... fetish gear, or worn in the bedroom! So it is quite sexy and I don't want to look too OTT! I think the fact I'm busty will make it look even more... provocative!

I'll get the leggings, then go back in and try the pvc thing on with them and see how it looks! I'll bring a friend for a second opinion! Hopefully, I'll be able to work something out!

Thanks for your post, btw! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

taram wrote: »
    Got the makeup/facial paint sorted, just need to get better at blanching out the sides of my lips to give a better doll mouth, but face paint doesn't look smooth enough :( Any suggestions?

Do you mean hiding your mouth? You'll need to make your lips (or whichever area you want to stand out) stand out so overemphasize them with make-up and it should recede the area you don't want to see.

I'm going as a dead cheerleader. I just need to order the costume. Looking forward to bloodying it up! :D

I'm sure I saw some leotards somewhere, Vero Moda maybe?

And who/what is Oogie Boogie?

Larianne wrote: »
    I'm sure I saw some leotards somewhere, Vero Moda maybe?

Could have been H&M, maybe? They usually stock things like that!

• Advertisement

Could have been H&M, maybe? They usually stock things like that!

I went on a bit of a spree on Saturday so it could have been H&M, Vero Moda, Dunnes, Penneys, Dorothy Perkins, or STRADIVARIUS. Prob H&M now thinking about it.

Hmm, I thought and tried to locate bits for a home made and not as short or booby this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/QuestionGuy2/She-Ra-Costume.jpg but will prob end up going as a real life this:http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/doll.jpg

From Hitchcock's movie 'The Birds'. Don't have much time or money for a great costume. Two years ago i went as Where's Wanda (Wally's girlfriend) and last year i just stuck on a wig so gotta make some effort this year!

You gonna have the birds attached to you? That's deadly! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Larianne wrote: »
    Do you mean hiding your mouth? You'll need to make your lips (or whichever area you want to stand out) stand out so overemphasize them with make-up and it should recede the area you don't want to see.

And who/what is Oogie Boogie?

He's a character from The Nightmare Before Christmas. A weird decayed bag looking villan :)

Yeah mean to hide my lips so I can paint on a small doll mouth. I've got the doll mouth painting sorted, but my lips show at the side and doesn't look great with a large human sized mouth painted.

taram wrote: »
    He's a character from The Nightmare Before Christmas. A weird decayed bag looking villan :)

Yeah mean to hide my lips so I can paint on a small doll mouth. I've got the doll mouth painting sorted, but my lips show at the side and doesn't look great with a large human sized mouth painted.

You'll never be able to cover it up unless you started messing around with Bald Cap Plastic or latex bits so just overemphasize the mouth you do draw on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Saw leotards in..damn where was it??...penneys! i can see them in my minds eye but just cannot be 100%!

Yes, I shall be spraying christmas robins black and sticking them to me..now to find a horrible pea green suit or beige mac...

• Advertisement

Saw leotards in..damn where was it??...penneys! i can see them in my minds eye but just cannot be 100%!

Yes, I shall be spraying christmas robins black and sticking them to me..now to find a horrible pea green suit or beige mac...

woohoo! thank u. Was hopin for Pennys as I highly doubt I'll be making a habit of headin out in a leotard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

some H&M stores will still have them.

stormtrooper FTW!! :D

stormtrooperj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Am in need of a Santa suit...don't ask. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

I'm in desperate need of inspiration, made homemade costumes which I was very happy with the last two years but can't think of a thing this time!

Leonidas

My Dog

Nice one Shar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

Does anyone know where I could get some elbow-length green gloves, or even white ones that I could dye? Thanks ;)

MissFitz wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get some elbow-length green gloves, or even white ones that I could dye? Thanks ;)

Try pennys!
    Seen a few different coloured ones in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

im looking for white leotard, white leggins, (or even tights) an white/pink tutu?

• Advertisement
Advertisement