Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi phone and VOIP apps

• 13-10-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Due a 3 upgrade soon, will poss get a phone with Wifi

I know that on 3 skype usage is only when on 3 network,

Imagine I'm abroad in a non3 country can I use Skype while on connected to WifI
    or if this is not poss, can I use VoipBuster, Voipcheap etc

Someone mentioned fring (not even sure what this is may be the answer)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can use it yes. If you use fring or non 3 skype it will use a data connection which will cost you if you dont have wifi abroad.

Using skype on 3 dials a number like a voice call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Imagine I hook up to a WiFi network, and then use fring to make a call, is it poss that the phone will ignore my free internet availability over the wifi connection and use the internet over the phone network and I'll be charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

k123456 wrote: »
    Imagine I hook up to a WiFi network, and then use fring to make a call, is it poss that the phone will ignore my free internet availability over the wifi connection and use the internet over the phone network and I'll be charged

It can happen yes, but set it to use your wifi connection, or delete the isp settings in the phone etc

It turns out the phones I am interested wont make Voip calls using fring

Can I make Voip calls without using Fring over a Wifi connection

ie can I download a mobile version of something like Voip cheap and then use this on Wifi.

This is what fring say

"In order to make a VoIP calls your phone's operating system should be able to record and play audio simultaneously.
    Currently, this is not possible in J2ME enabled devices like the phone models you were asking about. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 JynxIRL

What make and model is it?

Alot of the nokia phones have SIP Client built in which allow you to configure and make Voip calls and you can set it to always ask first for which access point to connect to.

• Advertisement

JynxIRL wrote: »
    What make and model is it?

Alot of the nokia phones have SIP Client built in which allow you to configure and make Voip calls and you can set it to always ask first for which access point to connect to.

Once the Sip client is built in , can I download voipcheap etc and use

Havent got new phone yet but open to suggestions

The initail, contenders were
    Sony w705
    Sony w995
    Nokia 6700

Need wifi and be able in turn to use Wifi connection to use Voip calls
    using Voipcheap or Skype

PS I'm with three and I understand Skype will only work while on 3 network

(Trying to use phone while abroad over a Wifi connection to ring home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 JynxIRL

If the phone has a sip client then you just config manual so no need to download software, but I don't know if it works with Skype. Dont think any of them phones you listed have a sip client.

Skype should work on any network once you have it installed on your phone or iphone and a good fast data conncetion.

Would be great if my three phone could use Skype when on a wifi connection rather than just on the three network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm using an N95, wil be upgrading to an N97 next week, and i have an app called FRING on my phone, it has Skype, Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, Twitter, Facebook and more on it, ya just log in and away ya go.
    Saved me a fortune using skype calls :D:D

Advertisement