Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bridge open day

• 13-10-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi people.

I believe the new South link Bridge is opening to traffic next Tuesday and will be open to padestrians on Monday, but you have to book it online!

Does anyone know where online you can book this as I can't find it anywhere!

Many thanks!
    Fugs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Hi people.

I believe the new South link Bridge is opening to traffic next Tuesday and will be open to padestrians on Monday, but you have to book it online!

Does anyone know where online you can book this as I can't find it anywhere!

Many thanks!
    Fugs

where did you hear this???

AFAIK there is a safety audit taking place from Friday until Tuesday and I doubt very much they will allow Joe Public access onto the site.

the main sites belonging the the contractors are

www.crg.ie - Contractors
    www.southlink.ie - Toll Operators

none of these two site has any information about this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Despite popular belief - its not being opened to folk walking. I think the offical open day is Monday but traffic starts on the Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

There were plans to have a 10k run that passes over the bridge before it is officially open to traffic. I last spoke to one of the race organisers about two weeks ago so haven't had a update since.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There were plans to have a 10k run that passes over the bridge before it is officially open to traffic. I last spoke to one of the race organisers about two weeks ago so haven't had a update since.

There was an update here recently, it was not given the go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

open to traffic on Monday, public open day Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Is the open day definetly on Sunday? Gonna cycle out and check it out before they ban us off the road forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Bards is correct, the official websites (even waterford city council) mention nothing about an open day to walk on it or when it will be open to traffic.
    What is the standard with opening roads, it is like other official openings whereby they let it open for a short while in a low key way and then have an official opening on another date when the small bits and bobs are finished?

Until we have some reference (web link or some officials name and title) anything anyone writes here is just rumours.

Here's my rumour, I 'heard' from a guy in the canteen at work who knows betty who lives near the bridge who slept with johnny the engineer, it is opening Halloween night, they plan to save money on the celebration official opening by using the backdrop of fireworks in the background of the city to open the new bridge. Minister Cullen will be arriving in a taxi (to show he can save money on expenses) and also to show his support for the taxi industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Bards is correct, the official websites (even waterford city council) mention nothing about an open day to walk on it or when it will be open to traffic.
    What is the standard with opening roads, it is like other official openings whereby they let it open for a short while in a low key way and then have an official opening on another date when the small bits and bobs are finished?

Until we have some reference (web link or some officials name and title) anything anyone writes here is just rumours.

Here's my rumour, I 'heard' from a guy in the canteen at work who knows betty who lives near the bridge who slept with johnny the engineer, it is opening Halloween night, they plan to save money on the celebration official opening by using the backdrop of fireworks in the background of the city to open the new bridge. Minister Cullen will be arriving in a taxi (to show he can save money on expenses) and also to show his support for the taxi industry.
    hahaha the end of that post is class lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Does anyone know if the bridge has a name yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The New Red Iron Bridge works for me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

anyone know how much we have to rent it for?
    maybe we should call it the 40 year bridge thats about how long it was promised for.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Lol dude epic win! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

I dont think they have decided on a name yet. I think it will probably be decided by central Government....something with a kilkenny/waterford slant as it is bridging the two counties. 'South East Gateway' Bridge would be a good name- I think it should be something generic rather than being named after any one individual.
    They may also go the historical/tourism route when picking a name - maybe the 'Viking Gateway Bridge' or 'TF Meagher Bridge'.

Does anyone know what they are thinking of calling it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's been an update on the Council site today.
    Waterford City Bypass Opening
    Updated 14th October 2009

The Waterford City N25 Bypass will be officially opened by Minister Martin Cullen on Monday October 19th 2009. The new bypass and bridge will open for traffic later on Monday evening.

There will be a unique opportunity for members of the public to view the iconic new River Suir bridge at first hand on Monday afternoon before the bridge opens for traffic. From 1.30pm on Monday afternoon a dedicated bus service will pick up any interested members of the public at the Clock Tower on the Quays and bring them out to the Bridge site where people will have the chance to walk across the new bridge and view the magnificent structure at close quarters. Buses will run on a continuous out and return basis for the afternoon up to 4.30pm and will be free of charge.This is a one-off opportunity as there will be no pedestrian access to the bridge once it opens for traffic.There will be no private vehicular access to the bridge, access roads or site offices on Monday and the bus service will be the only way of getting access to the bridge.

So, Monday it is then.

shockwave wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the bridge has a name yet?
    Didnt hear anything on the grapevine about the official name
    but best nick name I've heard so far was "The Cat Flap" :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I heard it was to be called the "Suir Bridge"

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Fugs!!

Jesus People are very cocky on this!

It was in the news and star about 6 weeks ago that there will be an open day for walkers etc... This was announced a long time ago pending further investigation on health and safety etc...

This was not an "I heard" question! Please don't answer with stupid smart comments.

Turns out there is a bus run from town for people who wish to walk it next Monday afternoon!

The official name is "The South Link Bridge"

The open day the News & Star commented on was for the balloons - which has came and gone.

There is no confirmed open day at the moment (according to a senior source in the city council development) - 99% is speculation.

Okay, its confirmed.

See: http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/news.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

FFS ya have to get a bus out from the clock tower !!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Jesus People are very cocky on this!

It was in the news and star about 6 weeks ago that there will be an open day for walkers etc... This was announced a long time ago pending further investigation on health and safety etc...

This was not an "I heard" question! Please don't answer with stupid smart comments.

Turns out there is a bus run from town for people who wish to walk it next Monday afternoon!

The official name is "The South Link Bridge"

'South Link' is the name of the company who will operate and maintain the bypass for the next 26.5 years........I think you could be a bit incorrect with this name.....from sources within the 3 councils inovlved there is no plans for a particular name other than River Suir Bridge.....nice and neutral and will not offend anyone as we all know how sensative folk on the KK/WD border can be......!!

• Advertisement

There is an open day, huzzah!

Any more news on Halloween night bfg? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Can we cycle on it?? :rolleyes:

shapez wrote: »
    Can we cycle on it?? :rolleyes:
    I wish! Alas, no. Us green crusaders are not welcome on zee new bridge.

KingLoser wrote: »
    I wish! Alas, no. Us green crusaders are not welcome on zee new bridge.

Wow, so much for doing our bit for the environment. :rolleyes:

So, there is pedestrian access and no cycles lanes. Some way to move forward with the times alright.

shapez wrote: »
    So, there is pedestrian access and no cycles lanes. Some way to move forward with the times alright.

No, there is no pedestrian access either. At least not once it is open. This is a once-off thing before the bridge opens.

Kahless wrote: »
    No, there is no pedestrian access either. At least not once it is open. This is a once-off thing before the bridge opens.

Whoa!! And I take it it'll be a 50km zone as well even though it's the route to avoid going through the city center?

Genius. Clearly the Greens didn't have much of an input when this was planned. :rolleyes:

Cars cause the congestion, not cyclists or pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The speed limit is set at 100 km/h. The Western Link which ties into the ORR will remain at 60 km/h.

Now can all the whinging stop - the bridge/road is about to open to traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elaine08

Does anyone know if its possible at the weekend to walk it or is it just Monday? I'd love to walk on it but unfortunately i work in dublin :(

• Advertisement

Elaine08 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible at the weekend to walk it or is it just Monday? I'd love to walk on it but unfortunately i work in dublin :(
    I would safely guess no for insurance and safety reasons. Until it opens i would guess it is still classified as a construction site and security would be employed to keep you away. If anything happens and it went to court they will want to cover their asses as much as possible. On the open day I would guess they will have loads of minders looking out for people to make sure they are kept safe and don't get up to mischief.

having a bus ferry people to and from the venue controls the flow of people to the bridge and is less of a headache for them for safety reasons.

Advertisement