Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bridge open day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Just back in from doing a few photos of it ...

4029308169_39d5cd9619.jpg

More on my site --> http://www.pmcgphotos.com/landscape/the-second-crossing.html

It's a beautiful piece of design, really suits the lay of the land (as much as a mass piece of concrete can) I personally like the lighting, its not too in your face. Don't forget the people living along the bank of the suir who would have to deal with the extra lighting at night !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Great photo Paddy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

mike65 wrote: »
    It'll end up having some bland name that is not location specific lest the Burghers of Kilkenny town be offended

Quite possibly, even though the bridge has its feet in Waterford so no-one should worry about what the Kilkenny councillors think.*

The Arnold Farnsbarn Bridge.

I hate the trend for using someone's name - especially their full name - to name something. It sounds so naff.

An imaginative, apt name is what's needed.

A.

* typing from Kilkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I reckon they should name it godwins law bridge, anyways cops had the first speeder pulled in this morning a uk reg'd 750il BMW - looks like they are going to haunt it just like the Orr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Of course they're going to.

It's a * DANGEROUS * road!

Fish, barrels etc.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No surprise esp in the last week of the month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In Fairness was going to work this morning, white BMW doing atleast 140km on it....some people are just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Hi folks.

What is the toll cost of the bridge? A mate went over yesterday and said he was charged €6 for his 4 wheel drive jeep. Which is a bit sharp IMO. Ta G

140? (85mph) On a motorway? Shocking, I'd sooner see that than 100 kph on the Old Kilmeaden road (if that was possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Junior wrote: »
    I reckon they should name it godwins law bridge, anyways cops had the first speeder pulled in this morning a uk reg'd 750il BMW - looks like they are going to haunt it just like the Orr.

I saw the bollix setting up to catch some speeding drivers this morning. That road is easily capable of 120km/h. Madness that it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What is the toll cost of the bridge?
    My Dad went across it in a regular car yesterday and he told me he paid 1.90. Six is a bit steep alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Theres alot of Garda ramps along the whole bypass. Also noticed a problem with the tolling system. I noticed that your car reg is taken when you stop at the toll.( I'm not really sure why though.) Well I was behind a car at a tolling booth and could see the digital display showing there reg. It said it was a 08 reg when it was on 06 plates. The cameras or whatever they use obviously aren't as accurate as they think:rolleyes:

Oh and the car infront of me kept putting money in the basket and the barrier wouldn't go up. One of the toll attendents ended up bypassing the money charge and raised the barrier and left me go through for free. It was fairly sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

garp wrote: »
    Hi folks.

What is the toll cost of the bridge? A mate went over yesterday and said he was charged €6 for his 4 wheel drive jeep. Which is a bit sharp IMO. Ta G

Is your Jeep Classed as a comercial Vehicle?
    shapez wrote:
    Might be of interest

The toll charges are detailed below:

CLASS OF VEHICLE TOLL CHARGE
    Motor Cycles € 1.00
    Motor Cars € 1.90
    Buses or Coaches € 3.40
    Goods Vehicles not ex. 3,500 kgs € 3.40
    Goods Vehicles ex. 3,500 kgs & having 2 or 3 axles € 4.80
    Goods Vehicles ex. 3,500 kgs & 4 or more axles € 6.10

buy the way peeps don't forget to collect your change, after you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone using it at rush hour? How long is it taking off your commute? Are there queues for the toll?

Just wondering, since the traffic was very heavy at 8.15 this morning, and I was wondering if people had just taken a spin across to see it, but then stuck to their old routes because of the toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

@ mossy & cabaal -

what time was that this morning? which side of the road (ie the side heading for the bridge or heading out towards Cork?).
    just out of curiosity ;)

was on the road between 8:30 - 8:45 heading in from the Kilmeaden side & no sign of gardai

there were a good few cars tipping along - I'd say some were over the 100km limit.
    one in particular passed me and about 20 others between where the road goes under the old kilmeaden rd and the slip road before the bridge and he was well travelling. think it was an 08 wd reg beamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I've never actually seen a 500 euro note, but the bridge on the back of the note is similar to the new Suir Bridge.

EUR_500_reverse_%282002_issue%29.jpg

If you think that the 500 euro note is valuable, just remember that it cost one million of those notes to pay for the construction of the Suir Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Think thats the Oresund bridge on the 500e note, goes from Denmark to Sweden. Was on it last year, it's all different kinds of awesome, especially how the tunnel emerges straight up out of the sea ...

bro_oresund_hojbro_fjern_500x375.jpg

UnderWaterBridge_01.jpg

If you think 1.90 is expsensive, it costs €38 to cross the Oresund in a car ....

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Think thats the Oresund bridge on the 500e note...

No, the euro banknotes feature only generic bridges and gateways, because of the political difficulties involved in picking out landmarks from individual countries:
    Owing to the ubiquity of countless historic bridges, arches, and gateways throughout the continent, all the structures represented on the banknotes are entirely fictional syntheses of the relevant architectural styles, merely designed to evoke the landmarks within the EU

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_banknotes#Design

And as a matter of interest, the Oresund Bridge links Sweden and Denmark, and while they're EU countries, they're not members of the single currency, whereas Waterford and Kilkenny do, of course use the euro! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Christ that's some deadly bridge! The 'Out of the water-ness' of it is freaking me out a bit but how cool is that. How long it take to cross it Paddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

fricatus wrote: »
    ...whereas Waterford and Kilkenny do, of course use the euro! :D

The euro is not used in South Kilkenny, it is merely collected there and shipped north in large containers for use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

@ mossy & cabaal -

what time was that this morning? which side of the road (ie the side heading for the bridge or heading out towards Cork?).
    just out of curiosity ;)

7.15am. He was looking westwards. This was on that last turn off into the city before the toll booths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

140? (85mph) On a motorway?

It's not a motorway, is it? It's the N25. The motorway isn't open yet. And 40% above the limit is taking the piss a bit.

The by-pass is designed and built to motorway spec, that why I call it a motorway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I live in Kilmeaden and I must say I am surprised to say the least at the large amount of traffic still using the old Cork road both into and out of Waterford, this includes lorrys etc. Got talking to a chap from the City who had stopped at Londis in Kilmeaden, he was heading for dungarvan and I asked him why he did not use the new road. He replied that he did not want to pay the toll. I explained there was no toll between Waterford City and Kilmeaden. poor man had no idea!!:rolleyes:
    Maybe a lot of people think there is a toll which would explain the amount of traffic still going through Kilmeaden.

The by-pass is designed and built to motorway spec, that why I call it a motorway.

How very Alice-in-Wonderland of you Mike! :D

But until the day that the Minister In Shining Armour waves his magic wand and turns the green signs into blue, I'm afraid it isn't a motorway... :(

Beeker wrote: »
    . I explained there was no toll between Waterford City and Kilmeaden. poor man had no idea!!:rolleyes:
    Maybe a lot of people think there is a toll which would explain the amount of traffic still going through Kilmeaden.

That'll be the case for a while I'd say, word of mouth (as in your case) will put them right, there will be others who'll think the "old road" will be so quiet and cop free they might was well use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea, how have things improved as regards Waterford traffic? Has it eased somewhat or barely noticeable? Bound to be a settling in period as peole suss it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Funny one re the toll plaza: the local postman had a letter to deliver to the toll plaza. When he arrived to deliver the letter he was asked to pay the toll.

I think there may be some discussion between the post office and the toll plaza - like, do you really want your letters?

I thought it was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Black Dog wrote: »
    Funny one re the toll plaza: the local postman had a letter to deliver to the toll plaza. When he arrived to deliver the letter he was asked to pay the toll.

I think there may be some discussion between the post office and the toll plaza - like, do you really want your letters?

I thought it was hilarious.

I heard that too, but later I heard that the area manager rang the Toll Co (Southlink). and informed them that if they are going to charge An Post for using the Toll Road to deliver their post, then they can come and collect it themselves, and informed them in order to avail of this facility they will have to pay circa €2,500 per anum

I thought Public Service Vehicles were exempt. I.E vehicles not having to Paay/display Road Tax E.G Fire Brigade, Ambulance, An Post?? etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

That'll be the case for a while I'd say, word of mouth (as in your case) will put them right, there will be others who'll think the "old road" will be so quiet and cop free they might was well use it.

My wife was travelling from Dungarvan to Waterford this morning and she said at Kilmeaden 6 out of 8 cars took the old road. They must think it is tolled.

Advertisement