Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bridge open day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bards wrote: »
    SO a truck coming from Rosslare with a delivery in the city centre, Argos for example, you would make them use the new bridge to go miles out of their way and force them back in to the City Cente by what route?

Not practible. they would be better off using the existing Rice Bridge as it is closer to their final destination.

That's an extreme example. If the same truck was coming from Cork, they would have no problem getting into the city centre! Sure, the bypass would add a few extra miles, but not many. If the idea of the bypass was to reduce traffic in the city, then we shouldn't pander to a few truckies who might have to drive a few miles more. Just because Rice Bridge makes it easier for them doesn't make it the right solution for the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There are an awful lot of trucks delivering in the city centre. All you achieve is creating more traffic coming in the Cork Road instead of having it split between the Cork Road and Rice Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭irish fighter

first i think any trucks delivering in to the city centre should be small Trucks not artics this can be done like most citys and this should be before 8.00am after that all medium to large thrucks should be forced to use the bypass this is easy done by local goverment now and not in two years like everything else but then again this is ireland :mad:

Doesn't that put more vehicles on the road? I thought we were aiming for less traffic. Getting all deliveries done before 8 won't work either. It's just impossible to get the volumes unloaded and checked-in in that time in even a relatively small supermarket like Dunnes in City Square, where I have some experience. People don't seem to realise how much goods get delivered. There are even sometimes single deliveries which wouldn't fit in a single small truck, so you would end up with two trucks for one delivery. Quite uneconomical and not too "green" either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

What should happen is that

1.) all through HGV traffic should be banned from using Rice Bridge
    2.) There should be random Garda checks on the approaches to Rice Bridge to check Itineraries
    3.) If no itinerary is found for Waterford City Centre then large fines should be slapped on them to discourage those operators from using the City Centre when they have no business been there in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Kahless wrote: »
    There are an awful lot of trucks delivering in the city centre. All you achieve is creating more traffic coming in the Cork Road instead of having it split between the Cork Road and Rice Bridge.

True, but then you're only looking at it in terms of trucks delivering to the city centre. There are way more trucks delivering to the Industrial Estate, Tescos, B&Q etc, and more trucks passing along the Quay en-route to Cork. Taking these out of the city centre would be ideal, so sending them along the bypass would be the way.

The problem is that the companies that own these trucks probably won't pay the toll when there's a free bridge closer by. They don't care about the city, and why should they? The truck driver could himself decide to pay the toll, but he probably wouldn't be reimbursed, so what's the point. In situations like this, the decision-making process has to be taken away from the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Basically what's happening is that the ones coming from the Cork direction are using the bypass as far as the exit for the Estate and then exiting at the Gracedieu bypass and continuing on over to Bilberry or down Gracedieu and over Rice Bridge. Coming from New Ross they are going in the old route and over Rice Bridge and heading up Bilberry or through the Quay.

This can also be said for car and van traffic as a lot of people dont see the benefit of paying the toll as a previous poster said the time saved by him was only 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Basically what's happening is that the ones coming from the Cork direction are using the bypass as far as the exit for the Estate and then exiting at the Gracedieu bypass and continuing on over to Bilberry or down Gracedieu and over Rice Bridge. Coming from New Ross they are going in the old route and over Rice Bridge and heading up Bilberry or through the Quay.

This can also be said for car and van traffic as a lot of people dont see the benefit of paying the toll as a previous poster said the time saved by him was only 5 mins.

In fairness, I'd say 20 minutes would be the norm. I commute from the quay to just beyond the ORR every day and that takes 15-20 minutes (doing the limit, which is 50 on the Bilberry, Carrickpherish and old Kilmeaden rds). I'd be waiting at the lights for 5 minutes at least just to get onto the Bilberry rd. from the Quay. If I was coming from Ferrybank I'd have to add 5-10 on to that.

Whereas it's a straight run on the bypass, where you'd cover the same ground in 5 minutes. Good straight roads, where you can do 100 guaranteed for most of it (again if you're staying within the limit).

You'd save another 5 minutes using the bypass to Kilmeaden rather than the old Cork rd. Overall, for trucks going to Cork from New Ross, I'd put the average savings at 25 minutes, or at least 20. You could shave 5 minutes off by breaking the limit from Bilberry onwards maybe. And anyway, going through the city is a hassle in comparison, with more lights, tighter turns, parked cars, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Agree completely with what you're saying - was quoting a previous posterwith regard to the time he saved. The question is why the truckers are not using the bypass.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The question is why the truckers are not using the bypass.

one word - MONEY

• Advertisement

one word - MONEY

Well it depends how truckers are getting paid. Do they get paid to do the job or to do the job quick. Probably they just get paid to do the job in their own time and then it doesn't matter how long it takes, and the 6 euro toll would have to be absorbed by them, so there is no incentive to pay it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote: »
    Well it depends how truckers are getting paid. Do they get paid to do the job or to do the job quick. Probably they just get paid to do the job in their own time and then it doesn't matter how long it takes, and the 6 euro toll would have to be absorbed by them, so there is no incentive to pay it.

Longer the time they are traveling the more fuel they'll use so it depends of the fuel can be offset by the 6e toll charge, I doubt it is for bypassing waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

RTE to show special feature on new Suir Bridge

RTE’s ever popular "Nationwide" programme is to feature a special package next week on the new Suir Bridge.

On Monday night, November 23rd, the station’s South East Correspondent, Damien Tiernan, will report on the success of the bridge and the amazing history of Waterford’s previous attempts to have a second river crossing built at the city.

There will also be superb archive pictures of "Timbertoes" and other matters which will be of great interest to Waterford and south Kilkenny people.

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7812&Itemid=1&ed=767

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

image-of--timbertoes-.jpg

One of the most patronising programmes presented by one of the most patronising presenters on TV. Whenever I see that awful programme, I imagine some 19th century English gentleman traveling around Ireland recording the life of the peasantry. The commentary will be the usual hodge-podge of historical and contemporary views of Waterford, given by the man himself, standing near Reginald's tower just beside the William Wallace plaza, that doesn't even scratch the surface of the real Waterford.

I'd say he's never made it beyond the Quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mike65 wrote: »
    imageoftimbertoes.jpg

Fixed that for you there, Mike ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Whenever I see that awful programme, I imagine some 19th century English gentleman traveling around Ireland recording the life of the peasantry.

You've just nailed the undefined, vaguely negative feeling I always had about that programme!

But that's RTE for you, with their "regional" programmes, all bloody historical houses and steam threshing festivals. The real issues that affect cities other than Dublin are never, ever aired. The second river crossing (albeit finally here), boundary extension and the university are the big ones here, but someone up in Donegal wouldn't even know we had a university campaign if they only ever got their news from RTE.

I'd say he's never made it beyond the Quay.

In fairness, wasn't he RTE's south-east correspondent? He would have been based in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Out of interest, will figures ever be released as to how many are actually using the new bridge given that its been open a month.

I know at the opening Martin Cullen was saying a third of traffic on the Quay would be gone with 9000 crossings on the new bridge per day but by the looks of things the new bridge isent gettting anywhere near this. Yesterday morning for instance there was only one toll booth manned and the automatic coin basket lanes were coned off. Despite some sort of blockage on the Sallypark DC there was still just a trickle heading for the toll.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Out of interest, will figures ever be released as to how many are actually using the new bridge given that its been open a month.

I know at the opening Martin Cullen was saying a third of traffic on the Quay would be gone with 9000 crossings on the new bridge per day but by the looks of things the new bridge isent gettting anywhere near this. Yesterday morning for instance there was only one toll booth manned and the automatic coin basket lanes were coned off. Despite some sort of blockage on the Sallypark DC there was still just a trickle heading for the toll.

There are plans but there waiting a few months.

Wasn't much to that Nationwide show and Michael Ryan seemed awfully distracted any time he was on. Is he always like that?

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Wasn't much to that Nationwide show and Michael Ryan seemed awfully distracted any time he was on. Is he always like that?
    Considering WIT had a special 3 year programme running in conjunction with the build and what do they show - U.L ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Considering WIT had a special 3 year programme running in conjunction with the build and what do they show - U.L ???????
    Yeah that was a bit of a joke alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Sorry for the bump, wasn't sure where else to post this.

I was driving out the Dunmore road heading towards town a couple of days ago when I noticed a very small M9 to the left sign on the hospital roundabout. This mean's that they are actually encouraging people travelling from that area of the city to go out and use the entire ORR, meet up with the bypass along the river and pay €1.60 or whatever it is for the toll, and then start your trip to Dublin, Carlow or wherever.

Does anyone know how long this sign has been up for? I know the bypass hasn't been used as much as they would've hoped but surely anyone from the city with a bit of sense would realise that this would add at least 10-15 minutes onto the journey. The only time I'd ever remotely considered using this route would be if the Quay was absolutely chock-a-block, and even then I wouldn't be so sure.

Sorry if this has been discussed already ('tis a rather big thread!) but I was just surprised when I saw it thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

That sign has been up since October/November. It was put up when alot of the other signs around the ORR area were put up just back before the bridge was open I think

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    That sign has been up since October/November. It was put up when alot of the other signs around the ORR area were put up just back before the bridge was open I think

Yup. They were put up just a bit before the bridge was being open. There are loads of signs replaced/added (a good chunk referring to the M9). I think it was done because the road numbers changed so the signs needed to be updated. Ideally, they probably should cross out the motorway reference until its actually open.

if you drive down the hill onto the cork road at the roundabout by the rsc (superquinn straight on, rsc/cork right, mcdonalds/town left,) the sign with the m9 points towards town!!! thats fairly stupid i thought they were trying to get traffic out of the towns

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Its a bit like using the New Ross bypass when heading to Enniscorthy, makes no sense at all

Clano wrote: »
    if you drive down the hill onto the cork road at the roundabout by the rsc (superquinn straight on, rsc/cork right, mcdonalds/town left,) the sign with the m9 points towards town!!! thats fairly stupid i thought they were trying to get traffic out of the towns

Well, the M9 starts at that side of town. Its the road that goes to Limerick so you would head over the old bridge, up the new road, straight through the roundabout and second exit on the second.

Technically, the bypass/toll is not for the M9, which is why the M9 signs are pointing towards town because the bypass is not the M9.

Sully wrote: »
    Well, the M9 starts at that side of town. Its the road that goes to Limerick so you would head over the old bridge, up the new road, straight through the roundabout and second exit on the second.

Technically, the bypass/toll is not for the M9, which is why the M9 signs are pointing towards town because the bypass is not the M9.
    Yeah but the town isnt the bypass either if your going by that logic, the bypass was put there to give access to the m9 and relief to the town but why would they point signs through the town when its just as easy to point to the bypass road and would ease conjestion and would probably be faster then town traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »

technically it is!!!!

Advertisement