Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bridge open day

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Clano wrote: »
    Yeah but the town isnt the bypass either if your going by that logic, the bypass was put there to give access to the m9 and relief to the town but why would they point signs through the town when its just as easy to point to the bypass road and would ease conjestion and would probably be faster then town traffic

Bards or someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the bypass was not created to facilitate the motorway. The bypass was indeed built to ease pressure on the town, and you could argue that you should send all motorway traffic to the bypass but you could also argue that the motorway was not built as an add-on to the bypass and so all signs should go towards the bypass (which, I think, in some cases they do - just not all).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Sully wrote: »
    Bards or someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the bypass was not created to facilitate the motorway. The bypass was indeed built to ease pressure on the town, and you could argue that you should send all motorway traffic to the bypass but you could also argue that the motorway was not built as an add-on to the bypass and so all signs should go towards the bypass (which, I think, in some cases they do - just not all).
    Yes and by easing pressure they should point the signs towards the bypass obviously thats what i said

Sully wrote: »
    Same thing???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yes and by easing pressure they should point the signs towards the bypass obviously thats what i said

I see your argument, and as I have said, since they were not built (I think) in the same mindset then this is probably the reason why most signs point towards the town. Seeing as some signs further out are pointing at the bypass (ill double check later) for the M9 then its probably just a case that the signs are pointing in the quickest direction regardless of any congestion. Bards or someone will be more familiar with this then myself, so he could possibly offer a more accurate answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Daysha wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump, wasn't sure where else to post this.

I was driving out the Dunmore road heading towards town a couple of days ago when I noticed a very small M9 to the left sign on the hospital roundabout. This mean's that they are actually encouraging people travelling from that area of the city to go out and use the entire ORR, meet up with the bypass along the river and pay €1.60 or whatever it is for the toll, and then start your trip to Dublin, Carlow or wherever.

Does anyone know how long this sign has been up for? I know the bypass hasn't been used as much as they would've hoped but surely anyone from the city with a bit of sense would realise that this would add at least 10-15 minutes onto the journey. The only time I'd ever remotely considered using this route would be if the Quay was absolutely chock-a-block, and even then I wouldn't be so sure.

Sorry if this has been discussed already ('tis a rather big thread!) but I was just surprised when I saw it thats all.

Signs have been up since the Bypass & 2nd Crossing opened (Oct 2009). This is normal practice for Inter Urban traffic to travel on National Primary Routes/routes with the gratest capacity where at all possible, thus relieving secondary and local routes of Inter-urban traffic.

The N25 (Cork - Rosslare ) route no longer goes through the heart of Wateford City, and it is the intention of Waterford City Council (by timimg traffic lights) and the NRA to divert as much of this traffic as possible onto the Waterford City Bypass via the ORR and Western-Link Junction (it is not co-incidence that the ORR links up with the Bypass)

If you ever travelled to Limerick you will notice how all signs for Shannon/Galway are via the Souther Ring Road which currently is way longer than going through the heart of Limerick, but this will join up with the Limerick Tunnel when completed later this year and shorten the journey

Locals will always know the shortest route and ignore directional signage, but put your self in the shoes of a tourist and I guarantee you the ORR/Western-Link/2nd Crossing is far easier to naviagte than numerous sets of traffic lights and poor sight lines.

The M9 (Waterford - Kilkenny section) Dublin Motorway was scheduled to open before Christmas, but due to the recent dire weather we have experienced this winter this has been pushed back to February/March, hence the signage for the M9 appearing at the same time as the bypass opened.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »

Locals will always know the shortest route and ignore directional signage, but put your self in the shoes of a tourist and I guarantee you the ORR/Western-Link/2nd Crossing is far easier to naviagte than numerous sets of traffic lights and poor sight lines.
    Thats exactly why im saying tis wierd the signs at bottom of mattys hill/cork road point towards town along cork road, surely they should point out the waterford crystail/wit way towards the orr???

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I think some signs for the M9 point through town because its the easiest route to get to the M9 from where the sign is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Thats exactly why im saying tis wierd the signs at bottom of mattys hill/cork road point towards town along cork road, surely they should point out the waterford crystail/wit way towards the orr???

this is the easiest route from that point. If traffic is already in the City than it makes no sense to send it out of the city along a busy road, past WIT & Housing estates.

The signs will point to the route with the best capability

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

What do people think the aveage daily traffic on bridge is? The plan was that it would be 14,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Rory1 wrote: »
    What do people think the aveage daily traffic on bridge is? The plan was that it would be 14,000

If the main bridge is getting 20000 or thereabouts I'd guess maybe 5-10% of that figure,max....its always deserted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

ive gone over it a few times the last one being today and it always seems very quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I was told by someone from the corporation that it was more than 5000 cars under what they had expected daily. What I dont know is if that factored in the decrease in travel as a result the recession. He said that the operators were hoping that when the N9 is finished this will bring the car numbers to a level closer to their expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jayboi wrote: »
    I was told by someone from the corporation that it was more than 5000 cars under what they had expected daily. What I dont know is if that factored in the decrease in travel as a result the recession. He said that the operators were hoping that when the N9 is finished this will bring the car numbers to a level closer to their expectations.

I would think traffic will increase significantly once the M9 comes on stream. Motorists will be more inclined to use the N25 and Bridge crossing as it will link pretty seamlessly to the M9.
    Also people will be more willing to fork out for the toll then due the percieved value they will get with the M9 i.e. no toll for 45 km of motorway to Kilkenny and then onto Dublin from outside Carlow. What I am trying to say is motorists will feel far less short changed and the toll would become less of an issue. A lot of people will not distinguish between the M9 and N25 as such.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

mfitzy wrote: »
    I would think traffic will increase significantly once the M9 comes on stream. Motorists will be more inclined to use the N25 and Bridge crossing as it will link pretty seamlessly to the M9.
    Also people will be more willing to fork out for the toll then due the percieved value they will get with the M9 i.e. no toll for 45 km of motorway to Kilkenny and then onto Dublin from outside Carlow. What I am trying to say is motorists will feel far less short changed and the toll would become less of an issue. A lot of people will not distinguish between the M9 and N25 as such.

I agree that when the M9 section opens at the end of February the traffic across new bridge will increase significantly and how great it will be not to have to travel that awful stretch of dangerous road that has caused so many accidents over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

MARCH 8 has been named as the expected date for the opening of the stretch of motorway between Danesfort and Waterford city
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64408176&postcount=1944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What is the status of the complete motorway between Waterford and Dublin once that bit opens? Are there still some gaps incomplete?

Kahless wrote: »
    What is the status of the complete motorway between Waterford and Dublin once that bit opens? Are there still some gaps incomplete?
    i Think there will be a gap between danesfort and the end of the carlow bypass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

i Think there will be a gap between danesfort and the end of the carlow bypass

Yup, that final section is still a bit away but it's nearly guaranteed to be finished by the end of the year. According to the project organiser they aim to have a fully complete motorway to Dublin by the All-Ireland final in September (very presumptuous of him :p)

That said though, I'm delighted that we'll still see the back of Thomastown when this new section opens next month. Even though it doesn't technically bypass the town the M9 will instead lead onto the N10 Kilkenny ring-road from Danesfort and meet up with the existing N9 at Paulstown. All of which is a far better road than what we've had to put up with in the past.

Daysha wrote: »

That said though, I'm delighted that we'll still see the back of Thomastown when this new section opens next month.

Aw stop i was going up and down twice a week for work all last year twas a nightmare!!! And you always seem to meet a truck coming into thomastown where theres nowhere to pass for ages twould drive you mad!!!

Advertisement