Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey for Xmas

Options
  • 13-10-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

I know I'm a little late with this, but searching a supplier of young turkeys. Planning on growing/fattening our own Turkey for Xmas!

Anyone know where I can source a suitable pair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well picked up two fine 13 week bronze Turkey cocks @ € 16.00 :D on Saturday last.

Thanks again to Stephen in Slane and we'll be back in New Year for geese, ducks & hens in New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

meant to ask you before Sonnenblumen, what sort of enclosure are you keeping the turkeys in?

They're kept in a secure (2" chicken mesh on all 4 sides + roof) enclosure, with various compartments, similar to an extended aviary. Overall dimensions are 30' x 30' x 6' (H), approx 60% 'open' plus sheltered 'Roosting' quarters approx 6'(L) x4'(W)x6'(H).

95% surface is natural ground/part planted incl Fruit trees. Enclosure will also accomodate 3 hens, 2 ducks + 2 Geese. It's quite a sight as we get a lot of visiting birds (mostly finches and robins) helping themselves to the nuts. Must be on guard against foxes, they never miss a chance. Recently we left the door to enclosure open and 3 hens were taken!

After settling in period (4 weeks) all birds are allow access to garden area.
    Some pics here: http://www.owenchubblandscapers.com/news/entry/christmas-turkey-two-tempting-grow-your-own/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Enclosure will also accomodate 3 hens, 2 ducks + 2 Geese.
    Not sure about ducks and geese, but was considering getting hens and turkeys. However, I've read that there's some disease/ bacteria that doesn't effect chickens but does turkeys. I'm pretty sure it was in a John Seymour book, where he was basically dissing turkeys as being too much work with that issue a prime reason. Is there a (preferably natural) way around that, or was it just old school advice/ reasoning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Macy wrote: »
    Not sure about ducks and geese, but was considering getting hens and turkeys. However, I've read that there's some disease/ bacteria that doesn't effect chickens but does turkeys. I'm pretty sure it was in a John Seymour book, where he was basically dissing turkeys as being too much work with that issue a prime reason. Is there a (preferably natural) way around that, or was it just old school advice/ reasoning?

The disease is called blackhead and Seymour says they' cant be cross-contaminated with any other poultry and they just arent worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Sonnenblumen, How are the turkeys going? Any update?

Hi

they're growing well and well the end is nigh. Started a parallel thread looking at options on killing. Must say I've become a little attached to the creatures but nothing that will interfere with the Christmas killing.

Last 4 weeks has seen considerable weight gain and I suppose the colour changes have been dramatic to say the least.

Also what has surprised me is just how well the turkeys got on with the hybrid hens.

Turkeys love fresh spinach!!

Well the turkey was killed and plucked 4 days before Xmas and gutted and cleaned on Xmas morning.

Took about 6 hours to cook, but it was juicy and very tasty (well you expect me to say that?).

As this was my first experience with a free range turkey, I would have to say it did look and taste better than 'free rangers' previously purchased from local butchers.

Did it cost much (purchase € 16.00 and feed probably € 10.00 or less) which compares well to what the butcher would have charged (€ 50+?). Any cost saving was really irrelevant, main reason was the experience of growing, killing and eating your own bird. Would I recommend it ? YES and will I do it again? DEFINITELY YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Well done Sonnenblumen - there really is nothing like rearing your own is there? We got 4 hyline hens in the Summer and now, 7 months and 800 eggs later, they're doing great and have really settled in well. The kids absolutely adore them and run down to the henhouse every morning to get breakfast. :D

Also nice to hear the turkeys got on well with the hens as I suspect we may go down that route next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm planning on this for next year too. Glad to hear it went well. We do have three hens (1 hyrbid and 2 LS) in the garden at the moment - great layers even at this time of the year. Getting 2/3 eggs daily in the height of winter. Planning on buying some hatching eggs in late Jan/early Feb and incubating them. The females will become layers and the males dinner :)

• Advertisement

The way to go!!

Advertisement