Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AUDI A5 Sportback

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

kikel wrote: »
    I like it. But they should of named it the A4 hatchback.

Why - when everything about it is lifted from the A5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

RedorDead wrote: »
    Why - when everything about it is lifted from the A5?

They should've named that the A4 coupé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looking forward to my test drive on Sat of this super looking car. New pricing is very attractive too!

Any driver feedback from anyone?

Is it possible to stay on topic, I mean can the 'non driver related negativity' (shape, model lookalikes, brand etc etc be posted elsewhere?

Although this car is very new in Ireland, I was hoping that there might be some experience from UK/elsewhere?

It goes without saying, but I'll say it again, if I like the shape, I'm very interested in the brand/model and that's why I'm doing a test drive.

Tks for the few relevant posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Is it possible to stay on topic, I mean can the 'non driver related negativity' (shape, model lookalikes, brand etc etc be posted elsewhere?

Although this car is very new in Ireland, I was hoping that there might be some experience from UK/elsewhere?

It goes without saying, but I'll say it again, if I like the shape, I'm very interested in the brand/model and that's why I'm doing a test drive.

Tks for the few relevant posts.

Will our opinions make a difference to you? MickDW has already given a fairly damning indictment of the A5 ride quality and handling, not just in this thread but since he bought the car, also a lot of the reviews seem to be in agreement, it stands to reason since this is an A5 too that unless there have been some dramatic chassis and handling modifications for this incarnation of the A5, it's going to suffer from the same woes too unless it's the quattro version. I would not buy a car if it drove terribly, no matter how much I liked it cosmetically.

It sounds like you don't want to hear anything negative about the car, and will purchase it regardless of the drive if you like the look of it, particularly if you are a life long VAG fan too who has progressed up through the ranks of Golf > Passat > A4, nothing we say will prevent you from buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And Mick's comments need to be balanced against the customers I sold A5s to who had no issues with their handling and the A5s I drove that I thought drove fine (except the traction control is a bit kack-handed, but I find that with all VAGs).

I don't want to drag this into a "he said, she said" thread though, the only thing I'd say about buying a car is that you should drive it yourself and if you're happy with it, the it doesn't matter a damn what other people thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

-Chris- wrote: »
    And Mick's comments need to be balanced against the customers I sold A5s to who had no issues with their handling and the A5s I drove that I thought drove fine (except the traction control is a bit kack-handed, but I find that with all VAGs).

I don't want to drag this into a "he said, she said" thread though, the only thing I'd say about buying a car is that you should drive it yourself and if you're happy with it, the it doesn't matter a damn what other people thing!

Yes he should drive it himself and make up his mind however as Ive said before, if he is thinking of buying it, it would be a great idea to insist on a 3 day test drive. The reason I suggest this is when I contacted the audi warranty guys about my concerns, they trotted out the usual characteristic of the car stuff and he told me I should have had a 3 day test drive if I was that concerned about how my new car was going to drive! I dont know what the dealers would think of all the customers coming in looking to take the cars away for the weekend. Thats Audi Irelands suggestion though.
    In relation to some people finding it fine to drive, I dont doubt that. Cars that do mainly motorway driving or city driving wouldnt be too much of a problem. It just that it handles uneven roads worse than any other car Ive ever experienced. Even cars with same or bigger tyres. (Ive driven 5 or 6 A5s now to compare and all the same but to varying degrees)I do drive it fairly hard although the way it goes down the road limits that a fair bit and I do come home rather annoyed usually and with sore arms after 1 hour+ journeys. If the OP lives in a country area, be sure to take the car to the roads you will be using it on and drive it for a reasonable length on those roads. Its great on flat smooth surfaces although at times can move around as if it windy when its perfectly calm.
    Also, My car has needed repairs to drivers seat back due to partial collapse and also a new ignition switch fitted due to fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Not to rain on the parade BUT I think the A5 is a cracking car looks wise and that they have well and truly butchered it with the sportback.

I personally see very little reason to consider it over say an A6.

I like the R8 but until I move to the UK it can remain aspirational!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Put it like this, I have gone to the pub, drank 12 pints and brought home Cindy Crawford, woke up the next morning and chewwed my arm off. The A5 sportback is an A4 with Arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Not to rain on the parade BUT I think the A5 is a cracking car looks wise and that they have well and truly butchered it with the sportback.

I personally see very little reason to consider it over say an A6.

No comparison with an A5, so don't see why they used the name at all - should have said A4. It'd be like Porsche calling their new 4-door the 911 Sportback. Completely arse-about marketing dept imho.

When I saw it about a month ago, it reminded me of my 1985 Mazda 626...I happen to think there is a market for a big hatch, actually.

650713410_cpLrU-M.jpg

I like the R8 but until I move to the UK it can remain aspirational!:D
    ...oh yeah........about that...... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I popped in to my local Audi dealer on the way home last night to have a look, and it does look much better in the flesh, but I'm still not taken with it.

It's not the 4 door coupe that the CLS or Passat CC is. It's a 5 door hatchback.

Audi haven't even gone to the trouble of making it a true 4 seater. The bench in the rear looks just like most 5 seat cars, without a lap belt for the middle.

Not such a bad looking car, but poor value for money when compared to the larger A6, or marginally smaller A4. The 2 that this dealer had were both 2.0Tdi 143bhp SE multitronics - both with nice upgraded wheels.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Had a good look at this over the weekend. Dissapointed is the word. I'm a big audi fan but the A4/A5 was ruled out for me pretty much straight away with the ridiculous driving position and offset pedals. I was hoping they might have done something about it but it's the exact same. Can't understand how a company like audi could get the right hand drive cars so wrong, they really don't seem to have cared at all. The left hand drive A4 I drove didn't have the issue at all.

Basically my impressions of the A5 sportback were that it's a great looking, really practical 4 seater. If I was looking at an A4 I'd jump to this in a heartbeat. However all it has going for it over the A4 is the looks, it's pretty much identical inside and personally I couldn't tell any difference in handling.

I didn't think it was as bad as whatcar have made out in their review (putting it 4th in a comparison test with a 3 series M sport, a C class and the Passat CC), but it was a bit of a let down apart from the looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If I was buying an Audi, this would not be in my preferred list.

For a 4/5 door, I'd have the A4 Avant any day unless I could afford the A6 Avant and why would you want a 4 door equivalent of the A5? Beggers belief..!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I think Audi are doing far too much BMW chasing these days. Granted, they may shifting more volume these days than the Bavarian brand, but gone are the days of classy, understated and high quality cars like the B6 A4 with niche monstrosities like this in their place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alright, alright, we get it!
    You have a problem with Audis! Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

broken-record.jpg

Another day another anti Audi rant.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I took a quick look at one of the demo's in Belgard motors on Friday. It looks better in the flesh, but I wasnt too pushed on the big upgraded wheels that came with, or the colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Having seen and driven both the A5 Sportback and Coupe, I can honestly say the Sportback is a stunning looking car and what a drive! Yes the A6 is bigger (and IMO blander) and the A4 is probably similar styling but smaller.

The A5 is really distinctive and yes we're going for metal black. Another test drive on Sat and then it's decision time!! Would be hard to come off the Sportback at this point.

Roll on 2010!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Having seen and driven both the A5 Sportback and Coupe, I can honestly say the Sportback is a stunning looking car and what a drive! Yes the A6 is bigger (and IMO blander) and the A4 is probably similar styling but smaller.

The A5 is really distinctive and yes we're going for metal black. Another test drive on Sat and then it's decision time!! Would be hard to come off the Sportback at this point.

Roll on 2010!!

Thought so. :)

Any updates Sonnen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Actually, we delivered a 2.0TDi 170bhp Multitronic on Friday, and I must say it drives nicer than the equivilent A6. Looks nicer too - the sportback shape has really grown on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

For the life of me, I can't understand how people could prefer the Sportsback to the A5.

A5 is much better proportioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement