Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible Eircom Broadband in Rush

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the cross-post, but has anyone else in Rush found their Eircom Broadband running very slowly each evening?

I created another thread on the topic if you fancy commenting:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708557

thanks, Bam

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm in Swords and it's been very slow lately. We got a postcard a few weeks ago saying they were upgrading Swords exchange so maybe it's to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

In rush and same thing in the evenings, on a 2mb connection with eircom best i can get till they upgrade or smart come to rush, d/l speed is average 200 kb/s during the day, in the evening lucky to get average of 110 kb/s. Also the connection dropped a few times in the last month never happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

thanks folks. yep sounds familiar alright. Would be amusing if it wasn't for the €62/month I'm giving them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Would you not think about switching to Perlico? My 3MB d/l speeds are 250 kb/s in the evenings and I get my fixed line/broadband for €47 per month.

Problem is I just moved from BT to Eircom, so am tied in for 12 months.
    BT had perfect speed, but their ping times weren't great. I work from home some days, so having a bad ping made that pretty painful.

So now I have good pings with Eircom, but terrible download speeds... it seems as you say moving to another provider is solution.

• Advertisement

Perlico and BT is the same as using eircom, they use the same line ect, you just pay them instead of eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

I was with eircom, and it was same story. Internet was very slow, especially after 11 pm, so we decided to go with Digiweb, and I like their speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its the same here around D15. Supposed to get 7meg but lucky to get 4 . Might switchto ntl and get 20.

Gumble01 wrote: »
    Perlico and BT is the same as using eircom, they use the same line ect, you just pay them instead of eircom.

I not sure I agree Gumble,
    1) on speed/contention: I got the impression that the connection is managed differently in the exchange by each ISP. That way BT can offer different contention ratios. And as I observed myself BT download speeds stayed constant during the evenings.

2) on pings: I believe this has to do with the routing that the isp performs. I found BT pings much worse than eircom. And at one time doing a tracert while on BT, I saw my traffic going through London even though I was connecting from Rush to the city centre. see this thread for more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55654830

though I am always open to correction.

Thanks Bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

dcr22B wrote: »
    Would you not think about switching to Perlico? My 3MB d/l speeds are 250 kb/s in the evenings and I get my fixed line/broadband for €47 per month.

I have just switched back from Perlico to Eircom. Perlico were awful to deal with. I could not recommend them to anyone.

The amount of people who have moved back to Eircom is amazing they must now have over 70% of the local market. This must impact on the service?

Not big into the technical side of things but the announcment today for 4g wyrex? appears to be good news for users. Will be up and running pretty soon, 2011:)

• Advertisement

bambam wrote: »
    I not sure I agree Gumble,
    1) on speed/contention: I got the impression that the connection is managed differently in the exchange by each ISP. That way BT can offer different contention ratios. And as I observed myself BT download speeds stayed constant during the evenings.

2) on pings: I believe this has to do with the routing that the isp performs. I found BT pings much worse than eircom. And at one time doing a tracert while on BT, I saw my traffic going through London even though I was connecting from Rush to the city centre. see this thread for more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55654830

though I am always open to correction.

Thanks Bam.

It is the same line that is being used, but BT and Perlico ect set their own contention ratios. The problem is with eircom the service is terrible, their dns servers constantly being hacked (havent used their dns servers in months) apparently hardly ever online. In the evenings they also could be throttling the bandwith as it only lasts from 6 pm to 11 pm.

My Broadband down 2 times in the last week. Service up to then was good.

We are just being ripped off, again

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

:confused:i am clueless about broadband speeds but mine is 54mbps is that good or bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

NorthDub wrote: »
    :confused:i am clueless about broadband speeds but mine is 54mbps is that good or bad

No, thats the speed of your router, your actually speed will be much less.

Go to www.speedtest.net and click the gold star, give it a min or two and then it will show your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I was with Eircom 3mb for 55 euros I live in Golden Ridge in Rush. I have now switched to 7mb from vodafone but only get 4mb because of the distance from the exchange.

You can check your line stats on your router and it will give you an idea of the line and what it is capable of.

There is not NTL BB in Rush don't think it will come for a while either

Oh yeah vodafones 7mb is 47 euros for the same thing as eircom

So is this good or bad?

M.P3 5mb = 1minute
    Video 35mb = 8minutes
    Movie 800mb = 176minutes

Download 0.60
    Upload 0.10

Ping 93

What does it all mean? I am on 3 mb Eircom bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

i got

M.P3 5mb = 16minute
    Video 35mb = 2minutes
    Movie 800mb = 41minutes

Download 2.63
    Upload 0.28

ping 57ms

email attachment imb 29 sec
    photo gallery 8mb 4 sec
    video clip 35 mb 17 min

I am on 3 mb Eircom bundle[/quote]

I have updated my other thread on this with the cheerful resolution:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63565405#post63565405

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - Just so you know, if you have a genuine eircom account query you can contact them directly through boards in this forum.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

BamBam I think that the broadband is terrible everywhere. I think we are just being ripped as usual. I find my broadband goes much slower between 5-6pm in the evenings. Still when you ring them to complain they direct you to the Speedo Clock and tell you that if that says whatever then it must be true. Oh Well Must Check the Sun Tomorrow! If it says that we are getting good value broadband then it must be true! ha! ha!

• Advertisement

yep I agree ab20, best thing we can do is vote with our feet and move providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,
    I have no intention of getting a landline installed and I live in Rush and I was wondering what would be my best option for a cheap and reliable/fast Broadband package?

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,
    I have no intention of getting a landline installed and I live in Rush and I was wondering what would be my best option for a cheap and reliable/fast Broadband package?

I have been busy with Vodafone modems this past few weeks but all I here recently is that its awful after earlier hearing its was the best thing since sliced bread. Eircom have done massive business recently and clawed back a lot of business.

Advertisement