Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Galway city CENTRE could we put a new crossing of the Corrib???

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Heres an interesting one I spotted on eTenders. They're doing a feasibility study to look at new crossings of the Corrib in the city centre, around Salmon Weir.
    Galway City Council invites expressions of interest in the selection of applicants for the appointment of a Client Representative to provide Engineering services for the Corrib River Crossing Feasibility Study.

The Corrib River Crossing Feasibility Study will study the options for new crossing over the River Corrib in Galway City centre, around the general vicinity of the existing Salmon Weir Bridge, including a potential crossing at the ‘King’s Gap’. The new crossing will consist of bridge, which is to accommodate vehicular, public transport, cycling and pedestrian traffic or a permutation of the same. The study will also encompass current and future traffic flows and road layouts.

This could be guff and will not happen for a LONG time, but its interesting. Where would you put another bridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

In my opinion Galway really needs another pedestrian/cyclist bridge, crossing over by the Cathedral (on foot) can get pretty dangerous at busy times, especially when you get a coach load of tourists staring and taking photos of the cathedral on it. Id say a pedestrian bridge just next to the salmon wier one would do.

Yeah - a foot bridge near the salmon weir bridge would be nice. Maybe from Newtownsmith near the Born store.

Anything further up wouldn't be used by people going from the University to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

This has already been approved by the city council, about 2 years ago. The preferred option is either 1 or 2 footbridges adjacent to the Salmon Weir Bridge (similar to Wolfe Tone Bridge), but the design would be a lot more complex and costly cos the existing bridge is a protected structure and the footbridge(s) cannot impose on it. Most of the funding is secured IIRC. I'll dig out a link tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Same as the Wolfe Tone bridge years back , if you take the peds off the bridge you get an essential c.1.2 m road widening opp ( both paths)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnchormanSL

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Same as the Wolfe Tone bridge years back , if you take the peds off the bridge you get an essential c.1.2 m road widening opp ( both paths)

Agreed,what they did to the Jury's Corner(?) of the Wolf Tone Bridge was a good idea imo.If this was done to the otherside and the Salmon Weir,I think it would be very beneficial.

-Less pedestrians crossing where and when they want.
    -less cyclists weaving through traffic(although I'm one myself)
    -More room for buses/trucks making corners easier and faster to go about

Also I think the road down the waterside at the rear of the Courthouse should be closed off.Major problem at peak times,when those coming out,can't because of the 2-way traffic and those going in are just holding everyone on the outside up.The entrance at the traffic lights between the courthouse and the Town Hall could possibly be widened(Courthouse side) to allow for that bit of extra traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where is the "King's Gap"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What happened to the proposed footbridge across from the college over the railway piers just above the weir?
    That would be heavily used by cyclists and pedestrians.

Other alternatives include digging a deep ditch to Clew Bay and redirect the drainage of the Corrib, this removes the need for bridges, creates more development land, fosters employment etc...

snubbleste wrote: »
    What happened to the proposed footbridge across from the college over the railway piers just above the weir?
    That would be heavily used by cyclists and pedestrians.
    There were objections from the boat clubs and the university I think.

Not sure how useful it would be - how many go from the University to say Tesco rather than the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JustMary wrote: »
    Where is the "King's Gap"?

I would guess it refers to where the old salmon traps are - the concrete and steel structure crossing the river around where the Born shop is. The Kings/Queens gap is a statutory requirement on all salmon/eel weirs, where a gap had to be left to allow free passage of fish - i.e. you couldn't put traps the whole way across the river. Goes back hundreds of years, possibly to Magna Carta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bloo wrote: »
    In my opinion Galway really needs another pedestrian/cyclist bridge, crossing over by the Cathedral (on foot) can get pretty dangerous at busy times, especially when you get a coach load of tourists staring and taking photos of the cathedral on it. Id say a pedestrian bridge just next to the salmon wier one would do.

the salmon weir was built for the convicts to be transported by horse and cart. when i see the buses go over it i cringe.
    there were supposed to build a bridge across the corrib at daingean to menlo castle but money lives in menlo as well as a few politicans so those were scrapped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement