Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of my deposit

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Myself and three mates moved out of a house in June after five years and so far the landlord hasn't returned a single phonecall or email about the return of the deposit - €1,600.

When we left he made a few remarks about the state of the place. It was as clean as we could have gotten it in fairness, maybe could have gone for the windowcills with the pledge but otherwise it was OK.

In five years the house was never painted, beds never changed though in fairness he did fix/replace anything that needed it on the spot. He as much as admitted he was pissed off we were leaving cos it meant he'd have to do a lot of work getting the place ready for new tenants and true to form ripped out the kitched, landing and bathroom and put in a new suite in the sitting room.

Anyway, we're still without our cash and wondering is there a board or authority we can go to?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Go to the residential tenancy board but only if you have actually cleaned it properly & replaced everything you broke. If you didn't do a good job don't bother because he will have photos & receipts that will be well over your 1600

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Surely if i landlord is withholding a deposit for cleaning he should be able to provide proof\receipts of what he did? Why would anyone take his word that it cost the whole 1600? A repaint after 5 years would be expected and surely not out of the OP's deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rocky77 wrote: »
    He as much as admitted he was pissed off we were leaving cos it meant he'd have to do a lot of work getting the place ready for new tenants and true to form ripped out the kitched, landing and bathroom and put in a new suite in the sitting room.

Anyway, we're still without our cash and wondering is there a board or authority we can go to?
    Goto the PRTB.ie and Threshold.ie about it. Let the landlord know that you plan on going to the PRTB about him using your deposit to do up the house, as what he's doing is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

the landlord can only withhold the deposit for the following:

- rent arrears
    - unpaid bills
    - damage above wear & tear

After 5 years, he would expect to have to paint the place and give it a professional cleaning (in reality, the landlord can not withhold any of of the deposit for cleaning since it is not damage - the landlord could clean it himself, it is his own prerogative to hire someone and pay them)

He would also expect to change furniture if it was low quality to begin with and showing enough signs of wear that new tenants would be unlikely to accept it. That is not your problem either.

Contact Threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Make sure you took photos of the property after you left. Dont bother with Threshold, as they are useless, and dont really help, having said the PRTB are not much better, but you will need to go through them to get your deposit back, but expect a long wait. I was in a similar situation to you, where I moved out in May, and only last week I recived the first installement of the deposit back. I would sent him a registered letter to let him know what you are doing, as he may not want to get involved with the hassle of the PRTB and just pay you what you are owed. As Bertie1 said if you left the apartment in a bad way, walk away, as you could end up out of pocket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement