Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer to tv via hdmi no longer working

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi,

I need help.. my head is melted!

ok so about a year ago i purchase a dell stydio xps and a philips 42" hd tv. I have an ati 4800 series video card with a hdmi adapter. This all worked fine when i had it at home. I have since moved out and have only got around to moving my TV up now ( i have been using a crappy 1028 x ??? monitor )

Now when i connect the tv up my computer / vid card recognises the tv but will not show any image what so ever. When i say recognises i mean in catalyst controller it has 2 windows, one shows the crappy monitor and the other show a hd tv ( it even knows its a philips hd tv )

I have connected a dvd through hdmi to the tv which works and i have connected said computer to my flatmates tv to no avail ( it also recognises that tv with no picture.

Im not that good with stuff like this but feel i have tried a few things that should have helped in some way.. this is really annoyin me as in my old house it was basically PnP.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Does it ever display anything at all? There are probably multiple input channels on the TV, make sure you're selecting the correct one. Try playing a video and check if the TV plays the sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I own a radeon 4890, I used to connect it to my 32" LG 1080p telly via hdmi. then one day I't suddenly refused to show any signal from the pc.

I know the television is aware of the computer as the input setting indicator lights up in the tv's menu when something live is conected to it, however the ati control panel is no longer recognising the tv.

at firsty I thought it was some kind of shadey drm feature that had activated itself mistakenly (there were a lot of rumers surrounding hdmi and copy protection and the card has a sticker on it boasting HDCP.)

then it occured to me that the some ATI cards were specificly designed to send audio out through the dvi port. I suspect that the DVI-HDMI dongle that was supplied with the card has failed. I believe it is a specific type that was only shipped with these cards.

I'm sorry your having problems but It's nice to know I'm not the only one. (I was getting nothing from google/ATI's forums etc.)

I had an old DVI-VGA adapter handy so I just switched over to that. the picture's almost as good.

I got the card from pixmania.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Does it have to be in HD, you can always use VGA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Not really. I pony'd up the cash for a hdmi setup (tv, hdmi cable and graphics card) so I'd feel a little cheeted (not enough to rma the card). VGA is almost as good but I have a few issues.

there is a bit of ghosting and the colours are not as rich.

also I must run everything in 1080p. anything else and I have to play with the screen position on the telly which does not have sufficient range to position the image correctly. that issue is not present when using hdmi.

what really bugs me about the whole thing is the fact that one day it was working and the next it was not. I had not made any setting or driver changes.

If anyone could offer a solution or some advice (or if you've had the same experience) I'd love to hear from you.

Advertisement