Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone no. for Firearms officer ?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭

Hi Lad's,
    one of my workmates intends to decommision an antique gun.He was looking for information on this.I remember seeing a Dublin no. for a firearms officer,for any queries relating to the new licence system.If anyone has it handy,please....

Comments

Just ring your local station and speak to the local FAO.

Or else just ring the justice department and they will put you in touch with correct person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Do you have any more information on what he plans to do and to what? If it is a genuinely antique firearm then it is exempt from the firearms acts and he wouldn't need to deactivate it - he could hold it without needing to get a firearms certificate. More info on the Justice website in the FAQ and in the Garda guidelines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BornToKill wrote: »
    ..... If it is a genuinely antique firearm then it is exempt from the firearms acts and he wouldn't need to deactivate it - he could hold it without needing to get a firearms certificate. ....

Don't think so. A deactivated firearm (antique or not) may only be kept on written authorisation from the licensing authority (Super). If the gun is still capable of firing then it requires a firearms licence.

PS. Invincible. Garda firearms policy unit 01 6661911. Very helpful and friendly. Will answer any questions you have
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ezridax wrote: »
    Don't think so. A deactivated firearm (antique or not) may only be kept on written authorisation from the licensing authority (Super). If the gun is still capable of firing then it requires a firearms licence.
    BtK is right. It's 1879 or 1858 or a date close to then that classifies it as an antique and not a firearm.

Possibly should have checked those links he gave :o:D

It not what you think or what I think that's important in this instance - it's what it says in the Firearms Acts. Section 26 of the 1925 Act states:

'26. — (1) Nothing in this Act relating to firearms shall apply to any antique firearm which is sold, bought, carried, or possessed as a curiosity or ornament.'

So, while you are correct on deactivated firearms that is irrelevant if we are discussing an antique. To be an antique, a firearm must not take a cased cartridge. You can only hold one as a curiosity or ornament and so you wouldn't be allowed to have the powder etc. to make it fireable and you couldn't actually fire it.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    .....Possibly should have checked those links he gave :o:D

I did but its a bit vague so i checked the Commissioners Guidelines aswell. Thats why i said "i don't think so".

Page 30 of the commissioners guidelines, under "Collectors/Deactivated Firearms" section. It says the same as BTK said that they are exempt from the firearms act. It then further states that that if they are capable of firing they must be licenced but if you intend to have them deactivated they can be held without licences or if they are defective, but they (Gardai) may request that a certificate of proof from a proofing house (or relevant body) to prove they are deactivated or defective and may have the firearm/antique inspected by a qualified member of An Gardai. I know modern replicas of antiques are not exempt at all.

Am i reading this wrong or are they refering to two different types of antiques. Check it out and if i'm wrong then BTK you have my apologies.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Am i reading this wrong or are they refering to two different types of antiques. Check it out and if i'm wrong then BTK you have my apologies.
    Collectors/Deactivated firearms are not the same as antiques. Any firearm from the modern age could fall into that category.

Okay, i'm after reading back through the guidelines, rrpc's and your (BTK) posts. By using all the info from the three sources i think i've got the hang of this. If its before 1858 or 1879, not capable of using a bullet (metal shell, powder, primer etc) its classified as an antique. If its after this date and holds bullets then its just old not an antique and needs a licence (unless deactivated).

As posted already you (BTK) have my apologies. Only good thing is now someone else doesn't have to ask the silly questions and i've learned something new. Yayyyyy.:P

There's no need for apologies but thanks anyway. Every day's a school day.

Should have just left the phone number and went about my business. I know f*** all about antiques or rules about antiques (in case you didn't get that from the posts) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The antiques 'Guideline' is completely inadequate for the task. We should use the same rules as the UK, i.e. antiques muzzle loaders (rifled or not) are okay, as are a large selection of obsolete calibre antiques. I see no reason someone can't own, say, a Snider as an antique, yet, because of ill thought out rules not only must it be licenced at an extortionate rate, its large calibre puts it over the bar.
    I suspect the majority of collectors just buy across the border rather than go through the hassle.

Advertisement