Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital TV in Gorey

• 13-10-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Is SKY TV the only supplier of digital tv now in Gorey?
    Have only RTE 1 and 2 since all the Uks have gone digital!
    AGH!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Check out a freeview digital set top box. If your reception through your aerial was good before switch off, it will be as good or even better now. Don't believe the guys who tell you you need satellite, you'll get about 100 channels through your aerial.
    You'll get some good advice on this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658286

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

the free to air satellite boxes from lidl are brilliant. about 80 quid and alll the channels you could need without paying any subs to any comp.

sky have gone around our area and been scaremongering tbh for new accounts. :mad:

ive retuned it a few time on different satellites, such as astra1,2 and hotbird i think, have about 30 decent channels on the favourited botton,

everything from bbc,1,2,3,4, itv, 1,2,3,4, channel 5,S4C, channel 4, +1 etc. more 4 and +1, lots of music, film 4, sky news, and other news channels, shopping channels

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Kleptopink wrote: »
    Is SKY TV the only supplier of digital tv now in Gorey?
    Have only RTE 1 and 2 since all the Uks have gone digital!
    AGH!

You have 4 options available to you in and around Gorey
    Option 1 is Sky tv
    Option 2 Is Chorus/NTL
    Option 3 is DTT through your aerial you will need a DTT freeview box or TV and that's not very relaible in around some parts of the town
    Option 4 and better still is a Freesat/free to air satellite system both of these are available as DIY kit from Redmond electrical/Euronics shop across from Dunnes stores shopping centre. Or fully installed from many local indepandent Aerial and satellite dish installers

I would strongly advise you to stay clear of the Lidl satellite kit the dishes are Crap the back brackets are made of plastic and the receivers are prone to tuner faults and a lot of Aerial and satellite dish installers will not install a system bought from Lidl/Aldi.

maybe scaller, the new dishes came with lesser quality parts, the ones we got at least 3 years ago ar fine. and i as far as installers go, the ones i now have no problem retuning or installing them. I used the existing dish on the house and it worked fine, just plugged in the aerial and hey presto, all channels. there is a lot of info on the sateliite forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

wreckless wrote: »
    maybe scaller, the new dishes came with lesser quality parts, the ones we got at least 3 years ago ar fine. and i as far as installers go, the ones i now have no problem retuning or installing them. I used the existing dish on the house and it worked fine, just plugged in the aerial and hey presto, all channels. there is a lot of info on the sateliite forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

There is indeed a lot of info on the satellite forum about lidl satellite systems it has already been discussed to death and a lot of the installers there including myself say the same the lidl satellite system since it was introduced here in Ireland is not made of good quality. Just drive around the county and you will see many a house with a lidl dish on it pointing to the ground, As I said to the OP there is now a lot of better quality satellite kits for sale for roughly the same price as the lidl kit. B+Q are even selling a better kit for €50. I dont know the installers you know but the most experienced and insured long term Aerial and Satellite dish Installers working in Gorey would not touch these lidl kits. You mention connecting to the existing dish on your house did you not use the dish that you got from Lidl.

• Advertisement

In the interest of fair comment and without going to bat for either side.
    To have critical comment heaped on Lidl systems by a Sky installer would lead the reader to conclude that the equipment approved by Sky is top quality, in my experience this is not the case.
    I have had a Lidl satellite system for about four years now and while I agree the bracket and fixings leave a lot to be desired, the dish has outlasted my neighbour's Sky installed dish, which crumbled away in the same period.
    Undoubtedly there are better quality systems than the Lidl one out there but not necessarily those installed by Sky.

scaller wrote: »
    You mention connecting to the existing dish on your house did you not use the dish that you got from Lidl.

was no need to as the previous owners left their dish. i didnt have one anyway. :rolleyes:

in the old house, with the lidl dish, we had a dual lnb and ran two boxes inside from it.

bmaxi wrote: »
    In the interest of fair comment and without going to bat for either side.
    To have critical comment heaped on Lidl systems by a Sky installer would lead the reader to conclude that the equipment approved by Sky is top quality, in my experience this is not the case.

I am not approving Sky over Freesat/free to air. I am not a sky installer there is a difference between a crash course sky installer and a Day to Day long term Aerial/satellite dish rigger. I also gave the the original poster 4 options he had in Gorey and in my experience with satellite receivers and dishes the system bought in lidl/alidi are not of good quality.If the dishes lidl/aldi sell were made of good quality every installer in the business would be buying them up and going out installing them but how can an installer give a 1 year warranty on some thing that will not with stand heavy winds and the comag receivers are known for tuner faults. Maybe some people that bought this sort of satellite kit are lucky that the wall where the dish is fitted is sheltered from strong winds. I do agree with you that the zone2 sky dishes last no time around the coastal areas They are mass produced. As I said and many a installer has said on the satellite forum there is a lot better Quality satellite systems for sale for around the same price. here is a few Examples

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-28212R&pages=1&prod=28212R&brands=PHILEX

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Free-to-air_System

http://satellite.ie/acatalog/Freesat_DIY_satellite_systems.html

http://satworld.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=100

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Harry.c

Hi All, As scaller pointed out these Lidl sat systems are nothing but pure cheap ****e, I, m an aerial and satellite installer based in south wexford area and in the buisness for 8- 10 years, The brackets are not designed for the weather we get in Ireland and the recievers are very average, Anyone who buys these systems and expects them to last at that price is only fooling themselves,,Get someone who knows what they are talking about, ie scaller, the job will be done properly and will last,,,we keep upto date on all products out there and know good from bad, Lidl,s is the latter.Cheap is NOT always the way to go!

scaller wrote: »
    I am not approving Sky over Freesat/free to air. I am not a sky installer there is a differance between a crash course sky installer and an Expieranced Aerial/satellite dish rigger.

My intention was not to cast aspersions on your qualifications or the material you supply. With most people satellite tv and Sky are synonymous and I was making the point that just because you are getting a recognised system installed by a recognized installer does not necessarily mean you are getting a quality product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Redmond Electric have digital tv tuners in stock now. We're able to pick up around 50 channels with it!

Not sure about their prices but they're supplied by euronics and they're usually very competitive! If it doesn't work they'll take it back too

Also it might be a good idea to get one of the more expensive mpeg4 digital tv tuners, as they'll do irish digital tv in a years time!

Advertisement