Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - French OL/HL?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

With all cockiness aside, I would be considered a 'good' student (I average about 570 in most of my summer/xmas/easter exams).

I have just gone into 6th year, and am doing 8 honours subjects (Applied Maths, Maths, Accounting, Physics, Geography, English, Irish, French <- in order of preference).

However, I strongly dislike French. I am considering dropping down to Ordinary Level. It's not really because I'm not able for Ordinary Level, but I don't plan to count it for points as it's easily my worst subject. The time I put into French detracts from time I could be putting into other subjects. I manage to average a C1 or B3 in French but it takes a lot of work to do - much more work than it takes me to get A1s in Maths, therefore it's a time-consuming subject.

However, the only thing that is stopping me from dropping down is not wanting to limit my options.
    Some colleges need a European language, even if the course you are doing is not necessarily related to languages. Does this requirement apply only to H.L. languages, or does it apply to both OL and HL?

If it's any help, I plan to do Acturial Maths in UCD (or Acturial Maths inDCU as second choice on CAO). But I really do not want to limit my options dropping into O.L. French - not just with Actuary but with other courses too.

Will dropping down to O.L. have any impact on which courses I can do, not just in relation to Actuary.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

To answer your question - NO, all you need is a D3 in OL unless it is a requirement for a particular course.

Secondly, I'm sick of people like you coming on telling the rest of us how great you are and are doing x amount of extra subjects, bla bla bla. The reality is, we don't care, if you want to boast about how great your social stautus will be because you done great in your leaving cert, get a blog.

If your as smart as you say you are, surely you'll have the cop to look up the course requirements for acturial maths, or just ask us plain and simple do you need HL french to do a certain course. There's no need whatsoever to give the whole "I'm really smart, I do a load of HL" bullsh1t.

/end of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Reillyman wrote: »
    To answer your question - NO, all you need is a D3 in OL unless it is a requirement for a particular course.

Secondly, I'm sick of people like you coming on telling the rest of us how great you are and are doing x amount of extra subjects, bla bla bla. The reality is, we don't care, if you want to boast about how great your social stautus will be because you done great in your leaving cert, get a blog.

If your as smart as you say you are, surely you'll have the cop to look up the course requirements for acturial maths, or just ask us plain and simple do you need HL french to do a certain course. There's no need whatsoever to give the whole "I'm really smart, I do a load of HL" bullsh1t.

/end of rant.

im pretty sure the first sentence would have been enough, the rest was just unnecessary!

OP - i was wondering about that too, i think im going to do OL french & not use it for points, as i want to keep my options open when it comes to courses.
    all of the courses i looked at so far say you just need a pass in foregin language (unless specifically stated otherwise)
    plus, if your doing 8 HL subjects including french, one less is no harm & will be a huge weight off

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

/end of rant.

Harsh much? he was just wondering like. and yes you only need d3 in ordinary to the best of my knowledge so drop away... and btw youre doing lke exactly the same subjects as me except i do economics not geography..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

/end of rant.

Someone sounds jealous. Or maybe cranky. Or both??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

I'm doing the exact same subjects as you, except Chemistry instead of Geography. I'm in 5th year. I'm averaging 550 points (counting up my JC results).
    I was thinking the same thing, should I drop down to ordinary level french?
    What bugs me is that I'm almost definetly going to do Engineering, and I don't even need a 3rd language for that! But I don't want to limit my choices.
    I can't decide which language to use as my 6th subject...english, irish, or french. If I could just make up my mind I could drop down to pass in maybe even two of them so that I can conentrate on my real subjects more. I totally agree- languages are so time consuming especially if you're not going to use them for points.
    But I suppose I find English the hardest...I've a brilliant teacher for French though and a crap one for Irish. I got a B in HL in the JC in those three.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm doing that for Irish but it's more because i'm not the best at irish :o
    I only have 7 subjects but hopefully will do well in all the others. I'd say drop French if you're putting too much effort in and you don't need it in the long run. Don't give yourself any unnecessary work it's a hard enough year already : )

Advertisement