Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay v Argentina

• 13-10-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭

I can't wait for this match, it has all the makings for a classic
    This situation is really interesting. Both teams are fighting for 4th place. Argentina is already there but if Uruguay win, Argentina will need to play in play-offs, but if Ecuador win in Chile and Uruguay win against Argentina they will be out of WC 2010! If Uruguay didn't win and Ecuador win. Uruguay will be out so this game is for everything. Uruguay shows big fight spirit winning in 93 minute in game against Ecuador away in last round. Argentina also won in 93 minutes but it was after poor performance with the last team in the group Peru. Uruguay is extremely hard to beat at home only Brazil did it in this qualification and Argentina only away win was against Venezuela having 5 loses away

plenty of goals in this one I'd say

Uruguay with 2 class strikers in Forlan and in form Luis Suárez (who's on fire for Ajax)

who knows who Maradone will pick

hell we could see Palermo starting instead of Kun or tevez :D

I predict a Uruguay win

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness to Palermo didn't he score the winner against Peru while Aguero is playing really poorly for Atheltico. I too predict a win for Uruguay and Ecuador and then fully expect Fifa to give Argentina a playoff game against Norway and make one group with 5 teams in the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Chile will roll over for ecuador and urugauy will beat Argies.

playoff tbh cant have Messi not in WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can't wait either. Argentina have lost there last 4 away games conceding 10 goals and only scoring 1

Uraguay win for me too but I don't think Ecuador will do a job against Chile because there shocking away from their high altitude home even if Chile have nothing to play for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What time is this on? I'm guessing it will be quite late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What time is this on? I'm guessing it will be quite late.

you guessed it 23:59

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's not on tv though is it?

mayordenis wrote: »

sure is

http://www.livesportontv.com/football/

mayordenis wrote: »

assume sky showing it? but it on lots of streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Chile will roll over for ecuador and urugauy will beat Argies.

playoff tbh cant have Messi not in WC

They'll miss out altogether if the above predictions work out

dogpile wrote: »
    They'll miss out altogether if the above predictions work out

"special" playoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

dreamers75 wrote: »
    assume sky showing it? but it on lots of streams.

Sky are showing it tomorrow night. It should be a classic. Argentina are in serious trouble. With Chile already through they have nothing to play for against Ecuador. I am sure that they want Argentina out as well so expect a very weakened unmotivated Chilean team so the Argies cant expect any favours there.

That leaves the Uruguay match. I just cant see Argentina winning this. Although a draw would do Argentina, Uruguay have to win. With Maradona at the helm they will need God's intervention to get through. Could be a disastrous night for Maradona and Argentina. How many changes will he make tomorrow night - will he bring back Batistuta or play himself if needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Warper wrote: »
    It should be a classic.
    Under Pekerman, Argentina were a joy to watch. Under Maradonna, they're a shambles. Lots of hoofing of the ball and Messi running around like a headless chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

lads what is a good site to watch the match on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I think Higuaín is expected to start again alongside Messi, despite crazy talk of Messi being dropped!

Normally we could expect Chile to try and screw Argentina but it should be noted that their manager is Marcelo Bielsa, an Argentino who managed the Argentine national side from 1998 to 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

will maradona drop his son in law though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

dropped him for the last game didn't he?

event wrote: »
    will maradona drop his son in law though?

Yes he dropped kun for the peru game

He was warming the bench beside tevez

meant to have had a shocking start to the season at Athletico, some balls to drop him though. Would say that made for an interesting Sunday dinner in the maradona household! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

As an Ajax fan I can do nothing but root for Suarez this year, he's been phenomenal this year for us (2009, not just this season). It's actually hard to describe to people who haven't seen us play this year. I raved about Huntelaar and Ibrahimovic in the past but this guy is like the second coming of Bergkamp, his technical level is top drawer and with youth on his side I honestly think he can be a world class striker.

So from a selfish club point-of-view, I really hope Uruguay qualify so we can see Luis on the biggest stage. I saw Argentina play recently against Brasil, Peru and Paraguay, don't deserve to be in the WC on the basis of those games, Paraguay in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

In the last two World Cups I supported Argentina. They were fantastic to watch. This time however a side of me (and yes I'll admit a dirty petty side) would like to see them miss out. *cough* Tevez *cough* Heinze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Under Pekerman, Argentina were a joy to watch. Under Maradonna, they're a shambles. Lots of hoofing of the ball and Messi running around like a headless chicken.

That’s a little unfair. I thought they played some wonderful football against Brazil, and should have scored a few goals. The shambles was at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Uraguay win for me too but I don't think Ecuador will do a job against Chile because there shocking away from their high altitude home even if Chile have nothing to play for!

Chile has qualified already.
    And they will definately not want to do Argentina any favours.

Biggest party in ages when Chile beat Argentina and if a Chile loss will mean that Argentina will not go to the WC twey will party again.

Their rivalry can be compared to Ireland/ England or Holland/ Germany but then South-American style...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I heard that if Argentina do somehow manage to qualify that they will appoint a vice manager to help Maradona ala Bobby Robson and Stan i.e. someone that has some clue what it takes to be a manager. I say Diego would love that though he probably wont have to worry about it as tonight could be his last game in charge.

I too have supported/backed Argentina for the last few WC's and have them included in one or two long-shot accums. Part of me wants to see them qualify and another part of me just wants to see them blow up in flames. They are just such a shamble under Maradona that even if they do qualify, unless he goes they have no chance of winning the WC next year. They are great entertainment though and the WC wouldn't be the same without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Warper wrote: »
    I heard that if Argentina do somehow manage to qualify that they will appoint a vice manager to help Maradona ala Bobby Robson and Stan i.e. someone that has some clue what it takes to be a manager.

Erm, that's already the case, has been since Maradona took over.

Carlos Bilardo is his assistant/director of football/general manager. He won the WC in '86 as manager

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/worldcup/6317941/Diego-Maradonas-Argentina-at-risk-of-World-Cup-knock-out-by-old-rivals-Uruguay.html
    It is the perfect vignette of his talent. Five red shirts, dread and panic etched on their faces, against one man, a picture of serene, composed assurance.

The challenge that awaits 'El Diego' against Uruguay in Montevideo on Wednesday, in the stadium where the first World Cup was won and lost, is that same man, no longer so confident, his lustre lost, against three million

"I want every single Uruguayan to play in this game against Argentina," said Oscar Washington Tabárez, the former AC Milan coach now in charge of his native country. His call is likely to be heeded.

All 70,000 tickets for the Estadio Centenario, the stadium where this same fixture decided the 1930 tournament, have been sold. "This is our derby. It has a special resonance, added meaning."

Such is the spirit of the little brother with something to prove. This is Everton versus Liverpool, Tottenham against Arsenal, Atletico versus Real Madrid writ large.

Montevideo sits just two hours across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires by hydrofoil. It could be a leafy, peaceful suburb next to the sprawling metropolis. The two countries share more than the "footballing culture" which Tabárez insists infuses their matches with added spice.

But, for charruas, the nickname given by Argentines to their cousins across the water, all of the language, history, food and drink shared by the two gaucho nations is rendered irrelevant by the overwhelming sense of supremacy, of arrogance, borne by their near neighbours.

Every summer, countless numbers of Argentina's bold and beautiful descend on Punta del Este, Uruguay's beach playground. Montevideo's parrilladas throng with day-trippers from across the estuary.

Argentina's football clubs poach the jewels of Penarol, Nacional and the other relics of the past dwindling close to bankruptcy in football's brave new world.

On Wednesday night, pleading for clemency, as a desperate Javier Mascherano did on the pitch against Peru on Saturday, Argentina will find none.

They have only themselves to blame, of course. The Argentine Football Association has signally failed to curb crowd violence, was forced to cancel the national championship because of a betting scandal and, most crucially of all, handed Maradona the reins of the national side.

He was given the resources to win the World Cup, a squad boasting Lionel Messi and Sergio Agüero, Carlos Tévez and Mascherano. A squad spoken of in hushed tones in Argentina, once seen as capable of winning the World Cup with ease. A squad anyone could manage.

Well, not quite anyone, it turns out.

Maradona and Argentina have been hoist with their own petard. He has fallen out with Juan Román Riquelme, his selections are constantly baffling and he is rumoured to not be on speaking terms with Messi.

Just as Scots delight in seeing England's failures, Uruguay are enjoying Argentina's bout with the consequences of hubris.

Things are so bad even the Barcelona player's place is under threat. Cesar Luis Menotti, the former Argentine manager, feels that "with Barcelona, he plays, but with Argentina, he runs".

Juan Ramón Carrasco, the River Plate coach, says that all Argentina do "is give the ball to Messi and hope he will win the game on his own. But the opposition know they are going to do that".

The script almost seems written. When Uruguay stunned the world to beat Argentina in the Centenario 79 years ago, stones were thrown at their embassy in Buenos Aires.

This time around, the windows, no doubt, are already boarded up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jaysus, the Argentine fans are going mad slating Messi for Argentina's bad performances. Sure he hasn't played well for them since Maradona took over, but he was excellent in the olympics and the Copa America. Apparently they are all too stubborn to blame Diego for any wrong doing. :D It's actually mental how high they view him, he's more infallible than God ffs.

Menotti has retaliated at the criticism though,
    Cesar Menotti has hit out at Lionel Messi's critics, stating that the Barcelona star is able to play for his club but has to run and run for his national team.

The veteran trainer, who led the Albiceleste to World Cup glory in 1978, thinks that blaming the diminutive Blaugrana forward is unacceptable because of his differing roles with club and country.

Despite helping Argentina to a crucial win at the weekend, Messi was again highlighted as under-performing, and that has drawn Menotti's ire.

"Argentina do not yet have a functioning team. They have not had the time to find that unity and team play," he told Sport.

"That is completely different from the way that Messi does things with Barcelona. He started at the club, then was on the bench and then began to play for a few minutes before claiming a regular place.

"Messi is not responsible for the strategy at Barcelona. That is [Andres] Iniesta, Xavi and [Yaya] Toure.

"Messi is the one that completes the moves.

"When it comes to Argentina they expect Messi to cope with he strategy of the team, to create goals and score them, to do everything.

"The team runs around a lot because they play badly. There they need to run more. But this is a football team, not a marathon club.

"Messi plays for Barcelona, but [with] Argentina he runs."

Menotti then explained why he feels that Diego Maradona has been unable to create a team out of so many stars.

"The team has not yet reached the level that was expected. The Argentina side have not had a coach for a long time," he continued.

"Not because they do not know how to, but because they are not able to because there is not enough time as all the players are in Europe.

"You cannot direct a great orchestra if the musicians are in Roma and the conductor is in Buenos Aires."

eZe^ wrote: »
    Jaysus, the Argentine fans are going mad slating Messi for Argentina's bad performances. Sure he hasn't played well for them since Maradona took over, but he was excellent in the olympics and the Copa America. Apparently they are all too stubborn to blame Diego for any wrong doing. :D It's actually mental how high they view him, he's more infallible than God ffs.

in fairness, Diego is being slated in Argentina. and in fairness, Messi has been very poor.

they all deserve criticism tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, Diego is being slated in Argentina. and in fairness, Messi has been very poor.

they all deserve criticism tbh.

Ya, but to see it any other way than Diego being the main culprit is a bit silly, just because you loved how he played the game doesn't mean he should be spared from criticism. The media may be slating him, but fans aren't, they are taking their frustrations out on the players, namely Messi, who even though he has been very poor, people are forgetting that he is pretty much the only constant in a team that is changing ever bloody game. The manager is the one responsible for picking a settled enough squad, implementing clearly defined tactics, and making sure each component gels.

Ya, but to see it any other way than Diego being the main culprit is a bit silly, just because you loved how he played the game doesn't mean he should be spared from criticism. The media may be slating him, but fans aren't, they are taking their frustrations out on the players, namely Messi, who even though he has been very poor, people are forgetting that he is pretty much the only constant in a team that is changing ever bloody game. The manager is the one responsible for picking a settled enough squad, implementing clearly defined tactics, and making sure each component gels.

but my point is, as far as i know, the public in Argentina is slating Maradonna.

heard some journalist chatting about it on guardian podcast saying how surprised they were because up until becoming manager, he has been untouchable, but since then, the public has been slating him.

• Advertisement

iirc sky commentators have said maradona has divided the publics opinions and more people are wishing for him to go now
    A MAJORITY of Argentines want Diego Maradona sacked as national team coach after their poor results in World Cup qualifiers, according to a survey.

The survey carried out by Carlos Fara and Associates, who interviewed 442 people, said 67 per cent believe 1986 World Cup-winning captain Maradona should not be in charge of the team, with just 22 per cent in support.

Argentina have lost four of the six qualifiers they have played under Maradona this year,slipping to fifth place in the ten-nation South American race for four automatic berths at the 2010 finals in South Africa.

They face Peru at home on Oct. 10 and Uruguay away four days later in their last two matches looking to at least remain in fifth place, which would earn them a two-leg playoff against the team finishing fourth in the CONCACAF region
    survey taken around 27 September 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

kinaldo wrote: »
    I think Higuaín is expected to start again alongside Messi, despite crazy talk of Messi being dropped!

I know he scored the other night, but when did Higuain start getting called up? Thought he was in the "international wilderness"?

gimmick wrote: »
    I know he scored the other night, but when did Higuain start getting called up? Thought he was in the "international wilderness"?

When Maradona got so desperate that he finally realised Higuain is the best frontman for this Argentina side.

When Maradona got so desperate that he finally realised Higuain is the best frontman for this Argentina side.

Diego Milito?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Diego Milito?

forgot about Milito

is he injured Bubs ?

he would be a better option than Higuain

Headshot wrote: »
    forgot about Milito

is he injured Bubs ?

he would be a better option than Higuain

He is injured for these two matches but Diego steadfastly refuses to call him up and he was unreal this year and is playing great this year. If they get the playoff place I'd be amazed to see him in the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cant see this game being easy for Argentina, that said I still expect them to qualify.

If they dont, god or not Maradona will get linched.

He is injured for these two matches but Diego steadfastly refuses to call him up and he was unreal this year and is playing great this year. If they get the playoff place I'd be amazed to see him in the team

actually he has called Milito up

Suarez to score anytime 17/10 for me tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gimmick wrote: »
    That was his debut against Peru

Milito has never performed when given the opportunity for the national team, he can't seem to replicate his club form. Higuain is the future talisman for this Argentine team, they should play with him with Aguero playing off him.

• Advertisement

Didn't know they were calling him up. Lads on the Guardian podcast seemed to suggest he was in the wilderness
    Milito has never performed when given the opportunity for the national team, he can't seem to replicate his club form. Higuain is the future talisman for this Argentine team, they should play with him with Aguero playing off him.

He mightn't perform as well as he does for Inter but he performs better than Higuain (who I do actually like as a player) at club level and Aguero has apparently been awful this year so I don't see how you could start him if not just to keep your daughter happy. Reckon you could play both Milito and Higuain together though. Also, don't Aguero and Higuain absolutely despise each other?

Didn't know they were calling him up. Lads on the Guardian podcast seemed to suggest he was in the wilderness

his last game was the brazil match (which they lost 1-3), he came on in the 68 minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Suarez to score anytime 17/10 for me tonight

hattrick id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads the PP website says that this match is on Paddy Power TV

But there's nothing to click on to view it :confused: Should I assume this will be changed once is starts, or coming up to it?

Also it says on PP that KO is at 11pm, that's Irish time yesh?

Forlan said: "I have warm feelings for Argentina. I played there for four years with Independiente and have many Argentine friends. But of course there is rivalry between the two countries. It's maybe not like Argentina against Brazil, but it is going to be a battle of life and death.

"To play at home in front of your own fans to qualify for the World Cup is a dream scenario. We will have our fans behind us, so it will be an extraordinary event."

But for Palermo's goal against Peru, Argentina would have been facing the possibility of missing out on the World Cup for the first time since 1970. The odds are now back in their favour, however.

Prior to his weekend heroics, Palermo had earned notoriety for missing a hat-trick of penalties in a Copa America tie against Colombia in 1999.

An injury-ravaged career, marked by two cruciate knee injuries and a fractured ankle caused when a wall collapsed on his leg while celebrating a goal for Villarreal, prevented Palermo from exploiting his talents to the full in Europe, but he is now a national hero.

Palermo said: "I never thought I'd experience something like this again. It is a reward for all of my hard work and was one of the happiest days of my life.

"But what really matters is what happens in Uruguay. It's going to be another final and we have to go over there and play for our lives."

That Palermo fella has some strength to come back from all those injuries, I also had a cruciate knee injury and to come back from 2 is truly remarkable

and a wall falling on his leg, mg how unlucky can a player get

That Palermo fella has some strength to come back from all those injuries, I also had a cruciate knee injury and to come back from 2 is truly remarkable

and a wall falling on his leg, mg how unlucky can a player get

He could miss 3 penalties in one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Hope to god Argentina get through. Maradona would bring a hell of a lot to the tournament as manager. My favorite player of all time bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Hope to god Argentina get through. Maradona would bring a hell of a lot to the tournament as manager. My favorite player of all time bar none.

You do realise that he's the primary reason why they are struggling to qualify in what should have been a pretty much guaranteed qualify?

TBH, despite their crap form I'm starting to get tempted by the price and Argentina. 2-1 like. Over 2.5 goals at evens looks like free money as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Looking forward to the match. Should be alot more interesting than the Montenegro match. Worst game in a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement