Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying slurry tanker

• 13-10-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

hello, I am thinking of buying a slurry tanker around teh 1600 gallon size. . I am thinking of second hand one in reasonable to good condition. buying straight with no trade in. What should I expect to pay.

also what should i look out for in a tanker as I have never owned one or used one. what are the best makes out there. I have a good tractor 110 hp and end up paying €2 grand every year on slurry when I could be doing this myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lifelover2006

from my research so far, I see there are Abbey, Belmac, Redrock and Hi Spec.

anyone any views on where I go from here........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

you must have a fairly big shed if its costing 2k to empty, you would want a big tank or you will be at it for the year, abbey major hi spec all good brands, have heard the conor tanks are having trouble with the mechanism to stop slurry coming back into pump, cross tanks there also, no experience of them but they look good, mccorrys in derrylin in fermanagh has an add in donedeal for good value in agrimac tanks, not sure on quality though, abbey retail in tipp seem to have clean looking 2nd hand tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hi i bought a new tanker earlier in the year i priced them all and agrimac - who took over ruscon where the cheapest so we bought it - its great couldnt believe the difference in price

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

lifelover, there is an important factor to consider when buying a tanker and that is the quality of the paint finish. This is especially important if the tanker is going to be parked outside for its lifetime and as you know slurry and paint dont really work together so the better the finish the longer your machine will last.
    Also you need to think about the thickness of steel used in the tank, the better names such as HI-Spec, Major and Abbey would be good in this aspect whereas the likes of agrimac(Ruscon) wouldn't be renowned for using the thickest of stuff, it could have changed but check it out first before making your decision.
    Get the big wheels as well for two reasons - you wont do as much damage to land and its also easier pull it.

Hope that helps.
    Colm;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

whelan1 wrote: »
    hi i bought a new tanker earlier in the year i priced them all and agrimac - who took over ruscon where the cheapest so we bought it - its great couldnt believe the difference in price

agrimac are bound to be well priced seeing that they replaced ruscon who made the cheapest tank money can buy , ruscon had shabby enough paint work and within a few years , you would be out with the welder , that said , ive heard agri mac have improoved things

good tanks are hi spec , NC , major , redrock , star ,
    average but adequete tanks are belmac , connor , cross , ruscon , abbey , rossmore

abbey have a good name but in reality , they are a bit light and if you buy a 2000 gallon abbey , it only holds 1900 , the opposite is the case with a hi spec , it holds more than it says on the tin

• Advertisement

irish bob i dont agree we had our last ruscon tanker for 13 years , never welded any of it , ok paint work faded after about 8 or 9 years but the main reason we traded in was the pump was gone and i wanted a single axle rather than a double , we use the tanker all the time , but if you have money to spare to for the other brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lifelover2006

cheers for the response. abbey seem to be most popular around my area. I thought that Hi Spec were not supposed to be as good as Abbey. also, any one I've talked to, have spoken very well of belmac.

regarding the abbey 2000 tanks only holding 1900 - how is this known. surely abbey don't tell you that and also how do you know that the opposite applies with the Hi Spec tanks. If both of this is actually correct in respect of size v volume, is this relative to the 1600 tanks for Abbey and Hi spec respectively.

thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

....not buying a tanker... but I always wondered how those tanks that are not galvanised don't just rust like mad on the inside.
    Surely a tank that was galvanised would last much much longer than a painted one. Do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pakalasa wrote: »
    ....not buying a tanker... but I always wondered how those tanks that are not galvanised don't just rust like mad on the inside.
    Surely a tank that was galvanised would last much much longer than a painted one. Do they?

thay are available galvanised, much more expensive though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

a galvanised 2000 gallon tank is three grand dearer than a regular tank , a 1600 gallon is around 1800 dearer and because thier are so few of them , you would most likely not be able to find a 2nd hand one

i remember a poster saying their neighbour bought a second hand tanker and it caved in on one of the first loads :eek::eek: so beware...

Advertisement