Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:51pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya!

Am a company leader for CGI Celbridge Cygnets, Brigins & Guides and looking for some help and ideas!!

We have our guiders books (there is only 2 leaders for the whole company) and we are seriously running out of ideas for Arts & Crafts and games. Also Day trips!

We have a school hall with internet access and a tvt + dvd player! But for simple games and crafts we are seriously running towards a brick wall!!

I've done a few searches but nothing too interesting popping up!

Any ideas would be fantastic! :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm one of three leaders for an IGG Guide Company and we have a couple of excellent little books that have lots of indoor games in them (very useful for winter) I will try and get the names for you when we meet again on Monday.

How often are you repeating crafts? We tend to do stuff in a 2 - 3 year cycle, as by then we tend to have a whole new bunch of girls. So, along with the challenges that the girls have to do for their badges we have about 20 odd crafts that we repeat.

We also tend to do 1 or 2 interest badges as a unit during the year as this will take up a couple of evenings as we cover the syllabus.

I don't know if CGI do this but the IGG headquarters tends to have a lot of very useful books of games and crafts. We've picked up one of two of them over the years.

Finally a quick game for a dark dry evening, especially if you have grounds around your hall:

Girls are split into patrols, or groups of 5/6 and put them each at a different starting point outside. Inside have a pot and wooden spoon in the middle of the hall.

The whistle is blown to signal the start of the game. The idea is that the girls must move quietly through the dark up to the hall. The first team to get back and hit the pot with the wooden spoon is the winner.

While the girls are sneaking back, the leaders are walking around the area with torches, when a team meets a leader they should all remain perfectly still so as not to be "seen". If any of the girls move they must go back to their starting point and begin again.

Once a team has made it back and hit the pot, the whistle is blown again to let the others know that the game is over.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Thanks a mill Tsubh!

We tend to be repeating crafts by the year! so this october we are doing close to what we did last october, making slight changes!

We have a program to follow and in our guider links books we get a few ideas for new crafts and games but there generally isn't enough to keep up going!

Advertisement